Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Apple espalier

I thought this might appeal to some of you, particularly those of you with potagers - or pergolas that you might want to 'decorate' with something a bit unusual. This picture is from the pergola walk at RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens) in southern Ontario.

{{gwi:160405}}

Comments (15)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Thank-you very much for this photo. I am helping a neighbor espalier apples in front of their porches. From the downstairs to the upstairs porch they hope to be able to pick fine apples! This is perfect. I was trying to explain why we need more than one tree to accomplish the look and a nice weave.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I just bought a peach/plum/apricot espalier, and plan to espalier a peach tree myself to grow up under the roof of my deck so this pic is very inspiring indeed! My son used to live in Squamish BC and rented a house that had like a living wattle fence and also a gazebo that was willow entwined(live!)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous. I must do that somewhere. I need another yard and another 40 years.
    Renee

• Kiskin
    12 years ago

oh, beautiful. I wish could buy some pretrained espalier fruit trees in my country. I have searched, but so far it seems noone does it commercially here. :(

(On the other hand - here lies a business oportunity...)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ggg - that sounds like an interesting - and long term - project. It'll take a few years for an espalier like that to cover two storys, but it would be an outstanding feature!

kiskin - tell us something about your garden. There's another lady from Estonia that posts regularly on a different GW forum. She has a very interesting house and garden and posts some nice pictures of gardens in Estonia and northern Europe. What are your garden interests?

• luckygal
    12 years ago

That is incredible and very pretty! Something that would have been nice to have done years ago but I'll just enjoy it in pics now.

• Kiskin
    12 years ago

Woodyoak, yes, I discovered another Estonian on a GW, but she is mostly active in a Trees Forum, whereas, my favourite forums are Cottage Garden, Perennials, Wintersowing and Potager forum.

I have a small suburban triangular-shaped south facing garden, that is dotted with tall pine trees, so I get a lot of dappled shade. Because of the tiny size and the pine roots, I have mostly raised beds. I love cottage type gardens and plants and tend to lean towards a cooler colour scheme (pinks, lavenders, purples, with some pale yellow, white and chartreuse thrown in).

Because of my triangualr postage-stamp garden I am always interested in space-saving gardening techniques, like vertical planting or espalieres.

This is my 5th summer of gardening, so compared to most of you I am a novice... :)

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I just planted 4 dwarf fruit trees (2 apple, a pear and a cherry) to espalier a couple of weeks ago. I am just planning on a simple horizontal cordon. I love fruit, but didnt want more shade, these will be great if it all comes together.

• flora2b
    12 years ago

I have been intrigued with espalier for a few years as well.
    Here are some of my experiments.

Apple
    {{gwi:248302}}

without leaves
    {{gwi:678573}}

Peach tree
    {{gwi:678574}}

asian pear tree
    {{gwi:678576}}

plum tree
    {{gwi:678578}}

with fruit
    {{gwi:678580}}

Whats not to love?
    Flora

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Flora! How inspiring! Like Kiskin, I am a newbie, 6/7yrs of gardening, and I think this year is gonna be my biggest learning curve! My friend's cat has already broken a branch(yellow plum) off my Peach/2kindsofplum/apricot,grrr.

• Kiskin
    12 years ago

Oh, Flora, beautiful! How old are your espalieres? Esp. this candelabra appletree... Did you buy already trained trees or did you start from scratch yourself? These forms look so incredibly architectural. Lovely.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are great, flora!

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

Wow!! I have JUST started dabbling in fruit trees this spring for the first time, and now I'm already wishing I had planned on espaliering some instead. They are so intriguing and beautiful!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Flora2b - nice work namesake! There must be a few years of effort there.

(I have to confess that when you post pictures I half hope people will confuse us and think it's my work;) )

• flora2b
    12 years ago

Believe it or not the oldest espalier, which is the apple candlebra was started as a twig in 2005. You can't buy ready made where I live.
    Each year you add a new level......the asian pear, which is the baby, is now starting its 4th year.
    Flora uk.....ha,ha, thanks, but I think you hold your own when it comes to gorgeous pics and knowledge.
    I dream of a garden fence made of nothing but espaliers....will need a new property for that....
    Flora

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals