Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't keep up with the planting.

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 17:14

We had two days of rain so no gardenwork there. So today is nice again and sunny. Back to work in the garden. I plant and I plant but I can't keep up. If I get anywhere near seeing light at the end of the tunnel another nursery order shows up in the mail or UPS. Then of course I keep going to the local nurseries and buying more plants.

If all that is not enough I dig up something already here and move it.

Today I had divided a big clump of daylilies and replanted to make a mini row of 5 clumps, I planted my yarrows, I planted my order of mail order tiny Lupines from American Meadows and did some general garden chores.

I also planted two pots, one on my patio of Zahara red zinnias and the order I did a combo. I put a Victoria Blue Salvia and around it I put pink blush verbena.

I should go out and plant my cucumbers. Or maybe I will plant something else. Got enough to choose from sitting on my driveway waiting for planting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't keep up with the planting.

You go girl. (Better you than me! wink)

o

Ah, but this is why my garden looks so pretty. Doesn't happen without lots of work LOL!

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Thu, May 20, 10 at 19:26

Rita, I'm almost to seeing daylight and today my hips are giving me fits! No stooping and bending for me for a while. I guess my alliums are going to sit in the driveway and die a slow painful death. Sigh.

Your gardens are so beautiful and it's because of your time and dedication to them. I know you'll get it all done and you will be rewarded for your efforts. Keep goin' girl!

MeMo

o

I always feel like I am behind each spring. Actually it hasn't been too bad as I was very organised early spring and started on the moving of stuff projects in March. So it is all going much more smoothly than it does some years. But I have just bought too much lately and its a backlog sitting here to be planted.

I hope your hips feel better asap and that your alliums get planted and flurish. You have such a project there with a blank slate. Endless possabilities but too much work.

o

I feel like that this year more than usual for some reason. We keep working away at things but the list of things to do (planting + other garden related chores) never seems to get any shorter.

o

I really dislike letting plants sit in their pots for too long as they can get root-bound and that's like money down the drain. What I do is to pot them up with a good potting soil in a larger pot so they can wait longer. I always buy a bale or 2 of a good potting soil with my first plant purchase. Sure it takes a bit of time but also buys me some time. I've almost got all mine planted - maybe about 10 perennials waiting in larger pots and all my annuals potted in a wheelbarrow full of potting soil but won't plant them til frost danger is over next week. I'm also going to the city again next week so will likely get more!

I do *try* to restrain myself but sometimes it's not possible as you know, Rita! It's another reason I don't shop online - way too easy to go overboard for me.

o

I don't like to leave them long either, that is why all the big rush to get it all done. Everyone has their own way of doing things but for me, I don't pot things up unless there is no way around it. Like the gardenbed is not done yet. I never repot, much too much work and I don't want to have to dig an even larger planting hole.

o

Rita,
All of that work is the cost of the gorgeous garden. Today, I received and planted orders from Garden Crossings: (Little Joe Pye Weed, Raspberry Angelonia and a Wild Thing salvia. I also planted several goldenrods, a penstemon, and a stacchys from High country Gardens.

I still have seedlings and a few plants in the greenhouse to plant yet.

But, like Memo, my hips hurt, and I am tired to the bone. I know all the extra shifts are to blame, but only two more extra shifts to work and I'll be back to 2 a week. Much better.

My butterfly garden is almost all planted now. Hardscape and mulch remain to be done, but the planting is almost complete!
kay

o

kay- You and I are alot alike. Neither one of us can quit with the adding and planting.

Did your lupines from American Meadows arrive yet? At least I think that is were you ordered them. I bought 9 lupine plants there. Little things but what I needed as that was the size I could work with were I wanted them.

o

Rita, your UPS driver and mailman must really get a kick out of all the nursery packages they deliver. Surely they can SEE why they are delivering so much beautiful plant material. I'd be willing to bet your garden is the highlight of their route.

It's funny when I'm in nurseries going crazy, packing the car full to the brim with plants, every once in a while I stop and think "hmmm...I have to PLANT all of these!" But then I just move on and continue adding to the cart knowing that all the work is worth it in the end with a nice, interesting garden.

I'm leaving in a few days on a trip and just got 2 deliveries yesterday (fairly small, only about 6 items) and then I still have a handful of perennials backed up. I find the planting goes very quickly if you actually already know where all the plant material is going to be planted. Rita, it sounds like you've been pretty organized so it's going smoothly. Isn't it such a great feeling of accomplishment?

o

I know how you feel Rita. I have been doing way too much this Spring also. Constantly adding which usually means moving other things around. But it's a nice tired. Like you I can't let things sit, need to get them in the ground.
Cher

o

The mailman knows all about the plant crazies, and laughs when I get another package.

I finally planted those cucumbers today as I didn't do it yesterday. I had no place to put them so just took some tomato cages (so they could climb up off the ground) stuck them in the middle of lawn space, poured some compost directly on top of grass, planted cucumber seedlings in compost and then put some bricks around the newly created gardenbed to hold the compost in. Its a temporary thing as the cucumbers are usully done by late August. Sometimes sooner.

I did get my four potted clematis planted and that was a big chore as digging big holes is hard work for me. So now I have another clematis tower. Of course it doesn't look like much now as I cut the newly planted clematis back and that means the last of the flowers were cut off too.

o

Rita,
No they aren't here yet, but are on the way. I expected them to be small.
kay

o

They are small which I knew. Here are mine after I unpacked them.

Photobucket

Lupines from American Meadows

o
RE: Digging

I just dug out a nice sized dead shrub rose. I was going to say it died over the winter but I think it might have even died already last fall. I moved it and in August and it did not take it too well. Unusual that it died as I have had them sulk but then they come back. Not this one. Anyway, I moved another of exactly the same rose at the same time and that one is fine. So I still have one anyway and that is enough.

Tomorrow I will fuss with centering the trellis were I want it and then I will plant honeysuckle vines on it and plant my hollyhocks in front. So the space from the dead rose becomes an opporunity to plant something else. Plus I really wanted the honeysuckle back there. I used to have one there for years and years but then it died out and I miss it. Well, I will just plant another.

o

I ordered a honeysuckle and a marachino salvia, a Nancy Red hot Poker and the paprika yarrow (didn't have a red one. They are supposed to ship next week. I have a little order coming from Garden Crossings, and I couldn't resist American Meadows sale, although I am mainly replacing snail damage with it.
kay

o

I do love honeysuckle vines. I have so many here and this year am replacing ones that died out for some reason. Hummingbirds love honeysuckle flowers.

o

The American Meadows order came today. Of course I had to order some sale plants. Their shipping is so reasonable, that I don't feel bad about multiple orders from them.
kay

o

Their shipping is a bargain and their prices are very good. I just ordered again. This time I ordered the annual lupine dwarf Pixie Delight seeds. Since these are annuals I can just scatter them were I want summer color but don't need to overthink it as they are only for one year.

o

They had some really good prices.

I also ordered from Great Gardens. I got that buttercream shasta, a Little Kim lilac (Couldn't resist) and a re double knock-out for DH. He loves the red ones.
kay

o

Double Knockouts are really pretty. I have eight of the red double ones. I haven't bought the Buttercream shastas yet but I would like to get them. If I don't see them locally next time I go, I might order on line.

o

I obviously am continuing to order.
kay

o

Well, Kay, you are the only person I know that might be worse than me when it comes to adding plants for the garden LOL :-)) But I think it might be highly debatable which of us buys the most.

One of my two Siberian Iris orders that I had not received yet just came in the mail so I have to go unpack and put them to soak overnight now. I will be planting them tomorrow.

o

Oh man, I am so in the same boat as y'all. I spent the last 2 weeks feeling pretty smug that I had pretty much gotten all the plants that have been sitting on my porch planted. I've even withstood the nagging desire to order some plants from Bluestone (not sure if I can withstand it much longer). Then, today, I went to the nursery to find a few little fillers (maybe some sanguisorbia) and guess what...they actually had some veronicastrum! I've been looking for these locally for the past 2 years...and they finally had them! So now my porch is once again populated with plants that I have to find room for in my tiny, tiny garden. I guess it's a happy problem, at least :-)

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o

But somehow we always manage to find the room, don't we? Besides who could (or should) resist buying when you find something that you have been looking to get for a long time.

o

Me too Rita, because I can't keep up with all the weeding!

Sheesh!

~Annie

o

I had to plant the siberian Iris today and I am pleased at how that turned out. Good thing I had done that second Clematis tower as that is the area of the garden near there that the Siberians got planted in and around. I didn't even think of that when I decided to do the second tower. I couldn't have planted these until that was done. I am glad that worked out :-))

So I also moved afew daylilies around, watered everything and called it quits for the day. Yes, I know I need to stop moving things around but I can't help myself.

Hopefully tomorrow I get back to the project by the trellis to plant the two honeysuckle vines and the hollyhocks. I planted the third honeysuckle vine I had yesterday and dug out the overrunn wood hycinth bulbs and the wild onions that gets mixed in with them yesterday. I needed to get that cleared and workable to reposition the trellis in order to plant. But that is as far as I got.

o

This coming week it is suppose to be in the high 70's and even up to 80, with overnight temps in the 60's. That means it's time to plant and sow seed at last. Since it was such a beautiful (and warm) day today I went ahead and planted some morning glory seeds and also put in my tomato and green pepper plants.

Now that those are out of the way, I can spend all day tomorrow trimming boxwood hedge and topiary - their first trim of the season. It's going to be a job because I let them grow really long, didn't trim in April like I usually do. But I was glad I didn't because we had all the frosts this month. It may take a couple of days, esp. if the sun gets too hot and I have to take many breaks.

Thank goodness the edging is done. Then I have some perennials to find places for, which means digging new areas I suppose, and zinnia and sunflower seeds to get in. Aw well, it's all worth it!

o

I know how you feel... I was out of town this past weekend, had a project the previous weekend and I'm out of town this weekend.

but I got 2 orders of roses in, an order of bulbs and bought some plants at a plant sale.
:( :(
I mean... yay plants?
our soil is so hard here that it's often quite an undertaking to dig medium sized holes. And while I was gone this weekend a couple of my unplanted plants wilted and look sad this morning. I'm kind of freaking out about it actually. Hopefully they will bounce back with a little tlc.

o

I finially planted my Dahlia Tubers today. Nothing like being alittle late LOL!! Put in some Cardinal Climber seeds too, annual vines simiar sort of to morning glories.

o

I fussed with and fixed the trellis finially today so I could plant my honeysuckle vines. Only had it scheduled for Saturday but never got around to it and did something else. So both my Mandarin and Major Wheeler are planted there. Then in front my five new purple 'Queeny Purple' hollyhocks are planted. I mulched it and watered it. I am again very pleased, it looks so good. I bet the hummingbirds discover this summer that there is a honeysuckle back in that spot again.

It took me as long to fix the trellis, that is get it centered and shoved into the ground so that it was solid, as it did to plant the two honeysuckle vines up against it.

o

Photobucket

Here is the picture of that stuff I planted yesterday. Turned out real good even if I do say so myself,

o

My last of the three Siberian Iris orders came today. I put them to soak and will plant them tomorrow. Meanwhile I did get all the daylilies that arrived yesterday planted today. I was so glad to get the last of my daylilies planted. Now I can put in the two flats of zinnias that have been sitting here for weeks because I had to have the daylilies in first as the zinnias fill in the remaining space. Not up for that job today. I think I will go out now and plant my Lupines from Bluestone.

o
RE: Catbirds

It was so funny. The catbird came and took a nice long and splashy bath in the tub with the soaking siberian iris. Then another catbird came and did the same as soon as the first was finished. I couldn't get my camera to get a picture as if I had walked toward the kitchen door to go inside, I would have scared them away. So my soaking plants provided big interest for my local catbirds that live here in my yard.

o

Our local Walmart has had a fantastic garden center the past two years. So every time I go to the store (once a week), I lug home something. Usually a Knock Out.

And get this. I have a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder too! I can live with it as long as I don't move the arm a certain way. lol.

But every week I say "I'm DONE." And then I go to the store again. :)

Now we've got a new bed going along the fence line, and my goal is to fill it with all KO roses with Lavender in between. I only need about 3 more KO's. Call me a fan of KO's! Plus the large wildflower bed my dh built which is growing like crazy. HE takes care of that plot. I do have my limits. lol

It never ends. Can't wait until Winter so my poor body can catch a break!

o

Things are just getting going in the garden and your ready for winter already? Not me. I am so ready for things to just keep right on blooming around here.

Your knockout and lavender hedgerow sounds beautiful. And one just can't stop gardening no matter what.

o

I started my little Eden in Nov.,2007 at age of 65. This year I lost the last half of April and all of May due to
septesis (sp) and a stroke (all due to Dr. error.)

Now I am almost recovered except for slightly slurred speech
and atrocious writing.

But I anticipated spring over the winter and started many kinds of plants under lights: several kinds of delphiniums,
several kinds of lupin, foxgloves, etc. We had snow on the ground for three months so WS was almost impossible.

Now under lights in the laundry room, I have about 10 kinds of hollyhocks, agastache Navaho Sunset, 2 kinds of campanula, liatris, giant platycodon, columbine (blue), and veronica.

Of course, I will have more plants than I need, and I may sell them. But my point is that for a $2.95 or less packet
of seeds you can have all of almost any flower you could choose. Of course, not all of them make it, but enough do to make your garden Eden and very quickly too.

If you start your perennials now, you can design an entire opulent garden for next year which will last for years.
WS, under lights, in situ, in cell packs are all ways to go
for cheap and wonderful perennials for a cottage garden.

Now, my garden is weeds in most places because the lost month and a half, the the structure is there thanks primarily to seed grown plants. I use bought and seeds.

o

I admire anyone who does start seeds but its not my method of doing things. I start seeds if necessary as you just can't get some plants unless you do. But there are never going to be plant shelves and grow lights in my basement, just the idea makes me shutter and turns me off. I don't even like houseplants. To me plants belong outside and I will stick with my way of doing things. That's the great part about gardening, we can all do it our own ways. No way is right or wrong or better or worse than anything else that works.

o

I at least got my soaking Siberian Iris planted and watered. I am not working very quickly today. My goal for the day is to get the Lupines from Bluestone planted also and then I don't care if I get anything else done or not today.

o

Ha, lupines planted. I had bought 9 of the three packs because they sold them by the threes. But I hadn't measured too well, nine was too crowded. I have them in a row in back of a section of roses by the side of the house. So I made 8 plants. Three of them had the extra added to them to make 4 together, most had three together.

What I did was plant the three (or four) little plantlets squished together so that it will look like one plant like I bought in the pots locally. They should look so nice when they bloom next year. This year their job is too settle in and grow.

o

Where can I get a picture of the foliage of Salvia "Victoria blue"? I used to have some of this plant about 4 yrs/ ago and I remember it didn't do well, but I think it has come back to haunt me. The leaves look just like it. Is this possible?

o

Salvias often come back. Check that web site we can't mention here and they may have a picture.
kay

o

Photobucket

Here is a picture with Salvia Victoria Blue in one of my potted planters that I made. It's in the middle. Around it is a pink verbena so just ignore the outside leaves and look at the leaves of the plant in the middle.

I made some real progress today. Planted my two flats of zinnias out front and that really helps make that entire area look much better. That slope in front was just too empty and needed plants. I would have loved to have done it sooner but was waiting to get the last of the daylilies planted. They weren't shipped until this week and I got them Thursday. I would have wanted them weeks and weeks sooner. At least it's done now.

Then I also planted my Mexican Sunflowers, which I had started as seeds in some pots. And also planted Four O'Clocks I had potted that I also started myself.

So the array of pots and flats sitting here needing planting is slowely going down. Still more to do though as I have to plant my poppies that I started from seed in pots and that big High Country Gardens order that came the other day and I haven't even thought about getting to do anything with as yet.

Then there was lots of watering to do as everything I have been planting now for weeks has to be kept watered until it settles in. i have those little Lupines I planted yesterday, which I gave a big soak to. Plus I have been watering those little (and I mean LITTLE TINY) Geum plants twice a day but I don't know if I will be able to keep them alive. They had almot no roots and are so small, so they dry out fast.

o

Hurray for me. My High Country Gardens order frrom last week is planted. Just finished now. 28 plants. I have Agastache 'Rosita' Columbine 'Swallowtail' and orange Butterfly Weed. Have to go out now to water.

It really made a big different in the pots and plants sitting around here to be planted. Now these pots were really small but there were lots of them.

Still have 2 vines, one blueberry shrub,a columbine and a partial flat of verbena to plant. Plus my own started from seed plants of 2 kinds of poppies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here