Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The first hummingbird.

Posted by token28001 zone7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 17:14

Finally. The Eastern Bluebirds have left the nesting box. A wren has made a home in my hanging fucshia basket by the front door. I've seen a Monarch already and two Tiger Swallowtails. I was starting to wonder if the hummers had gotten the message about my blooms.

I was taking the roll out canister to the street for pickup tomorrow. I was again admiring the red hot pokers and thinking, you know, they should be here any day now. A green blur shot right past me and stopped to sip from the pokers. I was less than 4 feet away. And no camera. He went on to drink from the larkspur and buzzed the perennial bed a few times before flying off. He'll be back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The first hummingbird.

I just love to watch the hummers. Especially when there are two squabbeling over whatever they get into it about. I have planted so many hummingbird and butterfly attracting plants that there is ually always something for them to come to the garden to feed from.

o

I caught one today. :)

I have a lot of hummingbird friendly plants in my yard, too.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 10 at 20:32

Aimee, is that an Anna's?

o

I saw the first hummingbird of the season last week too! He first went to the Lonicera sempervirens, but it only has buds that are not open yet.

Went out and bought a feeder over the weekend and the next day he was at it for a few moments! I had never seen this type before- think it might have been similar to the one in Aimee's pic. Last year they just loved my Scrophularia macrantha (Red Birds in a Tree), so I got four more from High Country Gardens.

It is sunny and beautiful out today, so maybe he will be out again!
CMK

o

natal- I don't know! Could be. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here