Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Lupines from White Flower Farm

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I saw these gorgeous things at a local nursery today. Not one of my usual stops so that might be why I have not seen them before. They all have White Flower Farm labels as the grower.

It has been years since I had Lupines in my garden but I couldn't pass these up. They have such beautiful colors. I bought POPSICKLE RED but they had lots of colors and they all started with the word Popsickle.

The Description said these are dense and stocky with flowers tightly packed along thick upright stems. 13-16 inches tall. Flowers from June until mid July. Of course, they are starting to flower now.

You just had to see the colors, the colors were so vivid and striking. Guess you figgured out I really liked the striking colors LOL!!!!

I knew when I saw them I had just the perfect spot. I bought two and they are already planted. Will post pics later.

Comments (17)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Now I really envy you! Lupines do not like our heat, but I dearly love them. Post pics so I can weep and gnash my teeth.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It said full sun but I put them were there is some shade. I think they will be fine. Most things that say full sun do ok with a little shade.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Down here, full sun will cook it. I really do envy those lupines. Sigh...ah well. We all want to grow what we can't, I guess.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the lupines after I planted them.

{{gwi:679264}}

And here is the little garden now that the lupines have been added.

{{gwi:679267}}

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I have always admired the Lupines. It gets too hot for them here.
    That one is a pretty pink. .. I see some little viola's there. What
    is the name of that one?

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those are so beautiful! Rub it in:-)

kay

• memo3
    13 years ago

That's the perfect spot for them, in the pocket garden. A very pretty color indeed and they look so nice with the little violas! Be sure to save your seeds from them and then replant next spring.

MeMo

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think I have to replant them in the spring. These are perennial lupines, hardy to zone 4.

roper, I will go look at the tag for the violas and report back tomorrow. It is dark out now and I don't feel like going out to look with a flashlight LOL!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Lupines are a plant I'm planning for future fun now that I'm out of Georgia and in NH. Got several seeds packs already to sow this coming winter, and somebody's generosity last winter has led to two varieities in the garden now. Can't wait till next year when they bloom! I love your lupines. I'll have to check out those WFF varieities.

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Ooh nice! I purchased three lupines too (can't remember the variety). I also wintersowed Russell Hybrids, and planted the wintersown seedlings near the second year plants. I am looking forward to the ones I purchased blooming this year and the seedlings next year. I have them in dappled sun.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

roper- I checked on the violas. That one is Sorbet Plum Frost.

I think of Lupines as a spring meadow plant. Now that I have seen these all at the nursery and bought those two, I just can't get the lupines out of my mind. The tag said bloom June - July. But I am sure that they don't bloom for two months. In fact I would think its great if they bloomed for one month.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Thanks rita. I was wondering because from the distance they look
    like Bowles Black Viola. I have quit a few of those because they just
    love to volunteer all over the place. I don't pull them up because I
    feel sorry for them....
    Right now I'm waiting for my sister. She is taking my mom and me
    to the plant nursery. I'm going to try not to buy too much, if anything.
    85 degrees yesterday. 65 degrees today, beautiful.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is my first year to plant violas so we will see how they do for me. I bought all kinds of varieties that claim to be perennial in my zone so we will see.

No fun going to the nursery and not buying :-(( I am sure you can find something that would be just right for your garden :-))

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

you guys might want to research different types of lupines, because it gets very very hot here, and they're growing wild along the side of the road here and in Bakersfield!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Up update on those Lupines in the picture above. They died last fall so were long gone before the winter. Bummer. I am not going to try them again in that particular spot. That was two plants and only lasted until August or so and then just shriveled up.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Oh yes, bakersfield does get hot. I use to live in Chino Hills.
    I planted some perennial purple lupine seeds that I got from
    Trudi. I'm hoping they will do okay here, it does get hot and
    humid.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    12 years ago

For those of you who think you can't grow lupines, I grow them here in Florida. You have to pick a variety that blooms the first year, and start them as soon as you can in the fall for winter and spring bloom. Having said that, I planted Tutti Frutti lupines this year, got a wonderful sprout rate, and the plants were large and healthy. But this year, as last year, we went straight from freezing temps to high eighties, and I don't think they are going to bloom. I have been very successful with them in the past, though.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?