Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milab_gw

May in the shady side of the garden

MilaB
9 years ago

When I was a kid, my favorite flower was always forget-me-nots, but I have grown to prefer brunnera (I like the foliage a lot more). Don't know how well it photographs, but today the combo of the columbines with the brunnera (with the golden oregano shining in the bed behind it) was just so lovely. Then I found the yellow torenia at the nursery today (not even in the ground yet in this picture, just assessing its placement!), and I think it was just what this spot needed. Can't wait until the yellow foxgloves get blooming (my other favorite flower!). What are some of your favorite shade plants?

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Lovely! Columbine is, year after year, at the top of my list. They're tough as nails plants with the most delicate-looking blooms.

Others? Most definitely; lady's mantle, cranesbill, Jacob's ladder, Lenten rose, lungwort, primrose, astilbe, Virginia bluebells, bleeding heart.

Hellebore/Lenten rose bud
    {{gwi:194692}}

Raindrops on Lady's mantle foliage
    {{gwi:236788}}

Columbine
    {{gwi:374232}}

Brunnera 'Jack Frost'
    {{gwi:385055}}

{{gwi:230873}}

Bleeding heart
    {{gwi:244349}}

Barlow columbine
    {{gwi:212041}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

That will be a lovely border.

• MilaB
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardenweed: such beautiful flowers and such beautiful photographs! Lady's mantle is definitely in my top 5 favorites. You can just barely see it in the back bed next to the oregano and in front of the (not leafed out yet) hydrangea. I have wanted to grow hellebores forever, but they are hard to find in nurseries around here. I finally ordered a cream-colored one on-line and it is due to arrive today (I am a little annoyed by how long it has taken for them to ship it). I was going to plant it just to the right of this picture.

Schoolhouse: Thank you!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Oh my! That dark blue, tall columbine is gorgeous! Do you know the name?

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

Love the blue and yellow combo! I have numerous shade loving and shade tolerant plants in my beds due to the mature trees that surround my backyard. The only full sun area is our grass covered sand mound which my husband says cannot be planted on. Right now we are about 20 days behind normal spring schedule due to our very long cold winter, but the rhododendrons, azaleas, lilacs, and perennial geraniums are all in bloom. My favorite shade tolerant plant maybe the old fashioned bleeding heart. It is the first perennial to show signs of life each year, and gives me plenty of extra plants to share as well. Here is my favorite pic taken last evening as the sun set behind one of the shady patio beds.

{{gwi:679338}}

Waiting on a nice rainstorm to arrive in about 15 minutes!

• MilaB
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bleeding hearts are so sweet. I have never grown them, but I always admire them in my neighbors' yards.

The columbine self-seeded its way into my garden, so I don't know the exact variety. It is more purple than this photo looks, I think it is a fairly common variety.

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness. All of the pics of the plants are so gorgeous ... I visited my other garden ( rental house ) the bleeding hearts were stunning- wish I had photographed. Those blue columbines are making my heart ache. I must have them ! I love silly vinca too - in the shade. So simple & such a gorgeous lower layer to contrast the other shade plants. I laughed when someone wrote foxgloves ! I plant them in dappled shade as well but read they need full sun ! Love them... & hostas for their magnificence !

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

dicentra aurea with hydrangea petiolaris-jack frost seeds everywhere while hadspen cream-which i really really like-just kind of limps along-is torenia perennial? lovely yellow and blues

Sponsored