Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Pretty even in the rain

I've been so busy weeding, and trying to get my garden under control I almost missed these dwarf iris blooming in a holding bed. Even the rain can't spoil their beauty.
Annette

Comments (23)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

....another

Original Author
    9 years ago

...another

Original Author
    9 years ago

...and another

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just beautiful, Annette. I have some tall ones the color of you first pic. Love those. Well, love them all to tell the truth.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh Annette, those are stunning. We need to add some to our new little garden!!

Thanks for sharing!! Nancy.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason I was out in the rain taking pictures was for identification purposes, the darn birds or ? had taken off with most of the tags so, as these little beauties bloom I'm numbering them along with their pictures. I do have a list of their names on the computer so I can sort them out next winter in garden down time. Four down umteen more to go LOL.

Annette

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful! I don't have any dwarf iris, but I imagine they don't flop like the tall ones? Hmmm..........you have me thinking now. Oh brother! Just what I need, a new addiction! LOL!

• martienne17
    9 years ago

I daresay the water droplets only enhance these flowers' beauty! Thanks for sharing these pictures, I love irises.

• haxuan
    9 years ago

Beautiful blooms, Annette. Love them all

Xuan

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful varieties.

I have a blue dwarf iris and used to have one with yellow falls and a blue eye. It was gorgeous. There still are pieces growing in two different areas but so far only foliage for the past several years, no bloom.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

A lovely assortment of blooms. I am looking forward to my dwarf iris blooms.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I found photos of the yellow dwarf from 2009. Am I correct in calling the center of the Iris, the eye? or is it throat?

{{gwi:679399}}

{{gwi:679400}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse, the link below shows the parts of the Iris, a picture is worth a thousand words :). That is a really pretty little iris, Sarah Taylor? I used to have this one but I lost it

Annette.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris anatomy

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Such intense color in the Northwest! Those overcast skies can really bring out the color.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Annette,all those iris's are so Gorgeous,they are one of my favorite flowers.tfs
    kathi

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments, the rain has melted some of the blooms or I'd post more pictures. Most of these dwarf iris were given to me by a very generous GW'er, who has a magnificent Iris collection, she also gave me some taller varieties. That did it the bug bit I had to buy a few more. I wish she was still posting here :(.
    Hi Xuan, nice to "see" you here, how are the daylilies doing?

Annette

• pearlgirl
    9 years ago

Annette...all of those babies are so gorgeous! Like you said.....the rain makes them even more pretty. Your garden
    is so pretty.
    I'm weeding as you are trying to get my garden in order. I'm so grateful to have what I have and to be able to do the
    work. I'm a slave in a good way ::):)
    Happy Mother's Day everyone!!

Margaret

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

The blue is called the beard.

• david883
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I couldn't even pick a favorite :) I have a few larger yellow irises just starting out (I received them from divisions from a trade) but the only other ones I have are what I, ignorantly, call "mini-irises" ha ha. They're about 8" tall and have little tiny iris flowers - like if someone took a shrink ray and zapped a regular sized iris down to size. Yours make me want more variety!

Original Author
    9 years ago

David, I much prefer the dwarf and miniature iris because they don't flop so don't have to stake. I must have a couple of dozen different varieties now, I love them all. I also have a few of the taller varieties but these little guys remind me of orchids and are a lot easier to grow.

Annette

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Oh... So pretty.. I didn't even know they came as dwarfs...I love them all as well... So many different beauties to admire & collect

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I love all irises regardless of size! And the raindrops do not in any way diminish the beauty of flowers, they enhance it!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Annette, Sarah Taylor - that sounds familiar, you could be right. I used to have the tag in my garden diary but couldn't find it. Oh - and I copied that image of the parts of the Iris into my pictures folder for reference. Thanks so much for that! (and you too flowergirl)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living