Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Post photos of Pretty Combos...

I saw a pretty combo in the garden today and here it is.....

Please post some of yours... :-)

{{gwi:679559}}

Comments (49)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

{{gwi:589359}}

HL Young has been blooming for more than a month. I like the orange lilies with it.
    kay

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Close-up of emerging flowers on Sinocalycalycanthus 'Hartlage Wine' and emerging foliage of 'Gold Flame' Spirea.
    {{gwi:624510}}

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

{{gwi:281595}}

A view off my patio.

• natal
    13 years ago

Vitex and hydrangea...

{{gwi:679560}}

Dill and tomato...

{{gwi:679561}}

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

This probably doesn't count because it's from the shade garden, but I really like it. The trilliums are seeding around like mad and also spreading from offsets.
    {{gwi:36058}}

Kay's combo reminds me of one that happens here that I like. The neighbour's Jackmani clematis spills over the fence above some 'ditch' daylilies that were here when we came. I leave them in place because I like the combination. Purple and orange really do look good together. This picture was taken from the office window a few years ago.
    {{gwi:153903}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

These are all wonderful combos! I am especially interested in your Vitex and Hydrangea, natal, since I have two vitex that I planted last year and need to put something around them (one in front/side and the other out back). Mine is not blooming yet, but I am looking forward to seeing it pop.

Woody, I adore trilliums and they look fabulous with your hosta. I may just need to copy you if I can get some trillium to survive here.

All the others are terrific, too. Wish I had a little more sun-would love spirea and the dill and tomatoes is such a great textural combination. Wow. I wish my gardens looked as good as all of yours.

• natal
    13 years ago

Cyn, I don't know if abutilons are hardy in your zone, but that's another good combo. There are a couple in the background in that pic, but they're not easy to see.

Here's a pic from May 2008. I lost that abutilon during Hurricane Gustav in August '08. I planted rooted cuttings later that year, so what I have now is not yet as big as the original.

{{gwi:679562}}

Here is a link that might be useful: abutilons

• threedogsmom
    13 years ago

Here are some closer-up combos from around the yard today in the rain/mist:

{{gwi:679563}}

{{gwi:679564}}

{{gwi:679565}}

{{gwi:679567}}

{{gwi:679568}}

{{gwi:679569}}

{{gwi:679570}}

{{gwi:679571}}

• token28001
    13 years ago

"Bright Edge" yucca with Euphorbia "Blackbird". Other succulents include Hens and Chicks, tricolor sedum, and others.

{{gwi:679572}}

This is a new bed, just filled it with stones from around the yard today. Need to get a few more sedums rooted and growing to fill out the pots. Trying to get a pup from a Blue Agave down the street for the back of the bed.

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

I like this combination of a threadleaf verdigras japanese maples, bright asiatic lilies, a chartreuse hosta and the deep red foliage of the coral bells.
    {{gwi:679573}}

This one just makes me smile - my husband, our Shih Tzu puppy Muffin, and the combination behind them is the mounding cranesbill geraniums, a chartreuse spirea, and that tree is a cranberry viburnum that got so overgrown I pruned it up into a tree.

{{gwi:679574}}

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Cindy, I love your last combo too; I have some of my husband caught unaware walking across the yard with the cats following him that I just love. It just tells you who he is.

Some of the pictures wouldn't load for me. I don't know why

Here is a color combo that I like. It is the Buff Beauty rose and I can't remember the name of the clematis. {{gwi:679575}}From Gardening 2010

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

Wonderful combo's everyone!!!

This is one I really like from this year.

{{gwi:679576}}

Blue Eyed Grass, Sea Pink and English Daisies.

And here are a few of my favorites from last year. Sorry if you have seen them before.

{{gwi:679577}}

Yellow Mckana Giant columbine and Catmint.

{{gwi:679578}}

Sexy Rexy Rose and Russian Sage

{{gwi:679579}}

The Fairy Rose and White Diamond Astilbe

{{gwi:679580}}

Keep them coming guys. These are such an inspiration.

Carrie

• catscottage
    13 years ago

{{gwi:679581}}

{{gwi:679582}}

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Here are a few of mine:
    Foxglove,purple Columbine
    {{gwi:679583}}
    Rose Climbing Peace and an unknown Iris
    {{gwi:679584}}
    Spiderwort and Redtwig Dogwood
    {{gwi:679585}}
    Hosta and Heuchera
    {{gwi:679586}}
    Salvia Snowhill, Heuchera, and Hosta
    {{gwi:679587}}
    A lone Sweet William that survived a major weeding, blooming with a purple Columbine,and Hosta.
    {{gwi:679588}}
    I have never been a big fan of solitary pics of Astilbe, but I love that beautiful pink rose with the white astilbe. I gotta get some seeds for that one.
    Tammy

• scottyboipdx
    13 years ago

Love all of those above...pretty inspiring stuff! Just a disclaimer...not all of these are from my garden...some i just took of neighbors for inspiration.

{{gwi:679589}}
    Heucerella backed by Oxalis Oregana

{{gwi:679591}}
    Red Iris and Purple pansies

{{gwi:679594}}
    Silvery Pampas Grass plumes backed by autumn-tinted viburnum

{{gwi:679596}}
    Rudbeckia Triloba backed by 'Tiger Eye' Sumac

{{gwi:679598}}
    Pennisetum 'Karley Rose' backed by sedums and sumac

{{gwi:679599}}
    Various Sedums (from the Oregon Botanical Garden)

{{gwi:679601}}
    2 different Clematis on fence

{{gwi:679603}}
    Iris, roses and clematis

{{gwi:679605}}
    Erysimum and Fragraria

{{gwi:679607}}
    Cosmos and Sunflowers...how can you go wrong!

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

This is the best thread ever. Please keep posting more great combo pics!

• scottyboipdx
    13 years ago

A few more

{{gwi:679609}}
    Clematis seedhead backed by orange crocosmia

{{gwi:679612}}
    haha...this is from my old garden when I lived on Alberta St. It's towards the end of the season...I think the nice way of describing it would be "exuberant" hahahaha. Bronze Fennel, Erysimum, Catmint, Helenium, Sedum, Verbena, Miscanthus, Monarda...all of which have found their way into my current garden as well...haha.

{{gwi:679614}}
    I can't say I particularly like blue and red together...but it is vibrant. Delphinium and Poppies.

{{gwi:679616}}
    Of course, my Agastache and Erysimum combo.

{{gwi:679618}}
    Hollyhocks and Rudbeckia

{{gwi:679620}}
    Sweet Potatoe Vine and Verbena

{{gwi:679622}}
    Blue Columbine with Pink Bleeding Hearts

{{gwi:679624}}

Catmint with Erysimum in the background

• bouquet
    13 years ago

{{gwi:679625}}
    {{gwi:679626}}From 2008-02-20

{{gwi:679627}}

• hosta_house
    13 years ago

{{gwi:628973}}
    Monarda and Coreopsis

{{gwi:267140}}
    Ramona Clematis and Zepphy Rose

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I LOVE my Brunnera :)

{{gwi:679628}}

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

{{gwi:679630}}
    Egyptian Queen Daylily with aeonium "zwartzkopf" and acorus

{{gwi:561328}}
    Amaranth and cosmos bright lights

{{gwi:508747}}
    Japanese blood grass with senecio, ivy geraniums, acorus, and barrel cactus

{{gwi:621519}}
    Beverly Sills and Lady Friend Iris

{{gwi:679633}}
    {{gwi:679635}}
    Julia Child and lamb's ear

{{gwi:679636}}
    Showbiz, asiatic lilies, common myrtle and grey ghost agapanthus

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

{{gwi:679637}}

{{gwi:679638}}

{{gwi:625198}}

{{gwi:625190}}

{{gwi:679639}}

{{gwi:679640}}

{{gwi:679641}}

{{gwi:679642}}

{{gwi:679643}}

• luckygal
    13 years ago

The subject of plant color combos has been very much on my mind as I redo my garden. This is a wonderful thread with many good ideas. Very pretty pics!

• honnat
    13 years ago

I posted this last year too; but it looks like others have last year's garden so it must be ok. :) This was my favorite '09 photo.

{{gwi:679644}}

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Bossjim- can you tell us what the plants are in your photos? Especially the first two- so stunning.
    Renee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lots of great combinations here. I have not had too many combos that I am just wild about. That's one of the reasons I keep moving things around so much. [g] Maybe this year.

Yes, last year's photos are just fine. Any photo is great. As a matter of fact, I saw one in a Piet Oudolf garden that I wondered about. Can anyone ID this combination?

{{gwi:679645}}

And here is a combo I liked in my garden last year, which I've probably posted before.....

{{gwi:679646}}

Everyone's gardens are gorgeous! Not a photo that I couldn't comment on. [g] Great photos too!

woody, I have Trillium that hasn't grown at all in two years. What kind of conditions do you have them in?

natal, your Dill is gorgeous! I have had a difficult time growing it well, do you have any tips? I have maybe 6 hrs of sun in the vegetable garden, so I wondered if that just isn't enough for it.

cindy, that combo of DH and Muffin is a keeper! lol Also love the creative pruning you did on your Viburnum. I would have never guessed that was what it was.

hosenemesis, is that cactus in a barrel? That was surprising! :-)

honnat, Is that a zinnia behind that Hibiscus? And which Hibiscus is that?

13 years ago

PM2 - I give the trilliums as natural conditions as possible, using the 'trillium woods' nearby as a model. The trilliums are under trees and all the leaves that fall in autumn are left where they fall. The trillium areas only get natural rainfall (which is more acidic than what comes out of a hose). The conditions they are in are reasonably moist in spring but dry out considerably in summer when the trilliums are dormant. There is no mulch other than natural leaf litter so the soil is probably on the lean side. Other than to plant something new, the soil is undisturbed near them. I think trilliums often fail in ordinary garden settings because the soil is usually too rich, too moist, disturbed too often and, if mulched, any seeds they produce are buried. I was quite surprised actually at how many seedlings have appeared in the last couple of years. There are hundreds of them.

The trillium woods model:
    {{gwi:7090}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, that is an amazing sight...lol! I sincerely don't think I've ever seen that many trilliums in one place before. I have to laugh at my one little trillium. [g] The trillium is one of the few plants I planted without really looking up what they need. It was an impulse buy when they were dormant and half off at the nursery. They came home with a bunch of other planned shade p*lants and I just plopped them in with them.

I may have one or two places where I can o*ffer them something close to what you are describing. Two full grown maples, one that is rarely disturbed or watered and not mulched. Vinca, crocus and epimedium are the only occupants at the moment.

I wonder do they resent moving or should I just buy new?

13 years ago

PM2 - I've moved them around sucessfully when they are dormant. They have a sort of bulb - wait till the plant goes dormant, dig it up and replant it at the same depth where you want it to be. It should survive fine. I didn't even water them in after the move.

• catscottage
    13 years ago

{{gwi:679647}}

{{gwi:679648}}

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

These are gorgeous gardens and amazing photography! I notice a predominance of tall spikey blue or purple blooms - or white to offset other colors and textures. I have always loved salvias and larkspur for those impacts - the blue bellflowers in spring are wonderful, too. Thank you all and keep those cameras clicking and fingers posting. Very inspirational.

• catscottage
    13 years ago

{{gwi:679649}}

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Renee,

Sorry I left off the names, so here goes:
    1. Esperanza and Cape Plumbago
    2. Thunbergia battiscombei 'Blue Boy' and canna 'Wyoming'
    3. LA Lilies and Mealy Cup Salvia
    4. LA Lilies and Duranta 'Sweet Memories'
    5. Cone flowers and Firespike
    6. Fruit cocktail Shrimp plant and verbena
    7. Coreopsis 'Jethro Tull' and Blue eyed grass 'Suwannee River'
    8. Pink Easter lilies and 'Blue Bedder' Salvia
    9. 'Black and Blue' salvia and LA Lilies

Jim

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks woody...! It's in the 90s here today so first cool cloudy day, I have a new place all picked out. :-)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim. Each combo was striking, as were all of the photos here. As I look again, I am struck by the red and blue and the blue and orange combos. Neither of these are anything I would ever plant together, but here they are- just gorgeous. That's what I love about this forum. New ideas!
    Renee

• honnat
    13 years ago

PM2 - Yes, that is a green envy zinnia next to a Kopper King Hibiscus. An unlikely pair; but the colors accented eachother well. I didn't get any envy zinnias this year; but I did put some mixed giant bennary zinnia next to it. My luck, the colors will clash - we'll see what I get.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

honnat, that is one huge, perfect zinnia. I grew them once and they didn't look like that. [g] What brand of seed did you buy? I bought a Kopper King H*ibiscus last year because of the wonderful fall foliage. I forgot what the bloom looked like, so it's great to see such a lovely example of it. I can't wait!

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Here is one I just found this morning. Its a pink peony and Penstemon Husker's Red.
    {{gwi:679650}}
    Tammy

• gardengranny2
    13 years ago

I have so enjoyed the wonderful array of such colorful floral displays in the most glorious gardens.

Needed to jump in with a few shots of my own. Here are a couple of my May favorite combinations.

Blushing Knockout roses with fringed leaf bleeding heart and ladies mantle along with a touch of 'Palace Purple' heuchera.

{{gwi:679651}}

{{gwi:679652}}

{{gwi:679653}}

Peony 'Bowl of Beauty' fronted by a pale lavender iris of unknown name and salvia 'Caradonna'.

{{gwi:679654}}

{{gwi:622845}}

{{gwi:622846}}

Salvia 'May Night' bordered by sedum Kamchatkum.

{{gwi:679655}}

{{gwi:679656}}

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

Here's a couple of shots I took this morning

Campanula glomerata (clustered Bellflower) and unknown wild geranium - pure white, I love it!
    {{gwi:679657}}

The campanula with Snow Hill Salvia
    {{gwi:679658}}

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

prairiemoon 2, the Piet Oudolf garden pink and white combo looks like filapendula Venusta and a white verbascum.

I'm enjoying looking at old threads on combinations as I think of changes to make in my gardens this spring. Thanks all for sharing your beautiful photos.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Thanks for pulling this thread up! It is so enjoyable this time of year.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

So enjoyed that walk through Wonderland! Thanks for pulling it up!

Ginny

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

Love this post - a wonderful gardening fix in winter!

{{gwi:679659}}
    Knockout roses, russian sage, echinacea
    {{gwi:679660}}
    Carolina Moon False Indigo, Edith Wolford Iris
    {{gwi:679662}}
    Painted Daises, May Night Salvia
    {{gwi:679663}}
    Gladiolas, Black-eyed Susans

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice to see this post resurrected. Wish I had more to share for it. Thanks mnwsgal for identifying that Piet Oudolf combo. It is a pretty one.

I see a lot of posts I've missed, I'm going to enjoy going back over this thread again too.

• duane456
    12 years ago

here's one----{{gwi:679664}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Here's another cheer for bringing this thread up again. dreaming and planning for spring! Completely forgot about natal's combos with the Vitex. This year, will definitely plant hydrangea and abutilon!

• pmermakov
    12 years ago

Hi, I loved seeing these beautiful combos and thought I would share some photos from my garden, friends and gardens I have visited of combos that caught my eye!

My friend's Arctic Queen Clematis with Salvia:
    {{gwi:679665}}
    At a garden in SC I saw these orange tulips with lavender violas:
    {{gwi:679666}}
    Starship Enterprise Iris with purple columbines:
    {{gwi:679667}}
    At Innswood Gardens, Japanse Maple with coneflowers:
    {{gwi:679668}}
    Purple coneflowers with Wilson Spider Daylily:
    {{gwi:679669}}
    Veronica with tall pinks:
    {{gwi:679670}}
    Varagated Iris with sedum and hosta:
    {{gwi:679671}}

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

What a treat. After a 10 hour workday to be greeted by these; a deep drink of water!
    idabean

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner