Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Things to Share 5/30, lupines, butterfly and more...

silverkelt
11 years ago

First off, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, flitting around some Knuatia Macedonica Melton Pastels...

{{gwi:391933}}

{{gwi:391932}}

Lupine Tutti Frutti, not as spectacular as 2 years ago but still pretty and its spread around some.

{{gwi:679724}}

{{gwi:679725}}

A gardenweed to some, Im hopping it spreads as more of a ground cover, tired of weeding inbetween plants, ox eye daisy...Ive never seen it in such vast overcrowding conditions actually, probably becuase Im so far north.

{{gwi:679726}}

A trio of Showy Lady Slippers.

{{gwi:679728}}

First shot of Harrisons Yellow

{{gwi:679730}}

First shot of Hansa (always have to play with the photo, darn thing is hard to shoot with mine, I have to increase constrast and lower saturation every time)

{{gwi:679732}}

Another no name Tall Bearded, I bought this 4 years ago as a sky blue cultivator, well, when it bloomed it wasnt.. who knows what it is.

{{gwi:679734}}

Silverkelt

Comments (8)

• DYH
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Everything looks so lush and healthy. Great shots of the butterfly.

Cameron

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Love that last shot with the huge boulders and the green, green lawn and the green, green woods. Ahhhhh.
    Renee

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I planted ox-eyes as filler in my garden last year. I was hoping they would perform similar to feverfew, which I love. A few small plops put here and there. I just love that shasta daisy look. They have not bloomed yet but will in the next week. A note of caution: I'm finding out why they are called a weed. Over the winter the small plops became big blobs, some maybe even quadrupling in coverage. They came out this spring as big mighty plants and are already starting to overcrowd plants near them. I still like them and want to keep them, but perhaps an end-of-summer division might help in keeping them nice small fillers. I've already reduced several in size, but I'm waiting to do all the necessary reductions until after they've bloomed. No sense in wasting all those pretty flowers!

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

You have some great photos here. I love the first one with the out of focus fern forest in the background. And your woods is wonderful. And the ladys slipper is just charming.
    Christine

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Your photos are beautiful! I love to see lupin photos since we can't grow them here in the southern furnace.
    kay

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    11 years ago

silvekelt, thought I'd post about my ox-eye daisies. They were really small divisions planted last year to be little in-betweeners, and they did take over. I actually lost some plants that they overran, and I'm wondering if they are waterhogs because those that did make it near them were doing pretty poorly. My patches were HUGE! I ended up having to remove all of my ox-eyes from the garden. I still love them, but I'm hoping when we move I'll be able to do a meadow-type garden with them using other meadow plants that are equally as enthusiastic in their growth. Let them duke it out for space while I enjoy the wonderful flowers. One nice thing about the ox-eyes this year is they had a really long flowering period in my garden. I don't know if that's normal or something about this year as I don't have enough gardening experience, but they were certainly ready for some encores as the days went on.

I'll be interested to hear your experience with them in your garden and how it compares to mine.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

My sister has let them take over her garden and they have crowded out lots of perennials . I pull them by the bag full when I visit but the next year there they are again, she likes them because "they grow without any work from me." Okay, if that's all she wants in her garden. So, I no longer take her my left over ws plants as they do not survive in competition with the daisies.

• User
    11 years ago

Your Lupins look very healthy,..they will spread for you,..in abundance,..and they look so well in any garden,..the Lady Slippers look great,..very nice pictures of the butterfly and Hansa,..the latter is a colour that is hard to capture with just a click.

Sponsored