Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Atlanta Blooms!

girlgroupgirl
10 years ago

With all the rain and cool weather we've had, my garden is better than it has been in about 6 years this spring!

Comments (29)

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate having to post these individually, but I can't figure out how to upload a whole group, so here you go!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rose arch entrance

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now GW isn't letting me load in any more pictures, so sorry, you aren't getting many! I have no idea what's up but it says I can't post any more!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Your stone and choice of cool colors really make a beautiful spot. And the Iris are so pretty, I practically love all Iris.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Wow! Lovely.
    Thanks

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Change the title slightly and you can post on. It is really lovely, and the rain and the cool did the same thing at my house. Wonderful changes.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Like the roses framing the walk with pillars.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

I especially love the iris and roses. And your stone walks. Your garden is lovely.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Nice! I'd love to see more photos, including one from across the street showing the overall picture since it looks like the garden really complements the house.

If you want to post multiple photos at once, you can first upload to a photo hosting site and make it public (or at least public to those with a link) and then just copy and paste the code to embed (not link) the photos from the hosting site to your post. I use Picasa and find it pretty straight forward. It's nice if I may want to use a photo more than once since I don't have to wait for it to upload each time.

• MilaB
    10 years ago

So, so gorgeous! Find a way to post more pictures please, because I really want to see more!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

GGG, MORE PLEASE!!! I always enjoy seeing pics of your garden. It all looks so beautiful.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohh, since I've messed up my back I can only sit for shorter periods of time, so I was trying to avoid the whole load them on a site and then load them up here deal...but here's a few more!
    this is of over the fence peeking into my front yard.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front yard garden from opposite end. This is one half, it is not a large front yard, but it's jam packed!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We also own the house next to us. It has a double yard (vegetable garden in one front yard, circle garden in the front. Since the vegetable beds look rather poorly right now (I work so slowly because of my back!) I didn't get the whole yard for you, just the good stuff!!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the circle garden back side view. The old thyme walk arches are here with roses and doing better than ever. Eventually that bottle tree will come out and this GIANT metal sculpture our neighbors gave us when they moved will go in. I mean it's HUGE and amazing and looks like it was absolutely made for this spot!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The circle garden is a mix of flowers, herbs and veggies. I sort of liked the foliage mixture of these herbs, even though they are all the same green. That is Neira, a type of garlic chives used more as a vegetable than an herb, yarrow which is medicinal and a monster oregano!

• Annie
    10 years ago

Absolutely GORGEOUS!
    You did a wonderful job with it girlfriend!
    I remember when you started years ago...and then all the problems you had with the drainage and all you had to do to fix that. So seeing these pictures is just amazing! It is dreamy...really.
    Love, love, love it.
    Congratulations.

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! Hasn't all the rain been wonderful ? You remember we are here in central AL only 1hr from you. My roses are amazing this year. I am SO sorry you have hurt your back.What did you do ? I have a piriformis muscle in my left butt that is giving me fits ! I have been having PT ....I hope you are getting some care.

I painted more things PURPLE in my garden..you are my inspiration. It looks wonderful against all the green. c

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

It's so lush and beautiful. Thanks for posting all of those photos for us to enjoy.
    Renee

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sadly the drainage is still lacking, so we go at round 2 this year. It took us awhile to save up the money to get it fixed again. THe fix won't work for huge, horrible storms, but at least it will work for the rest. That front circle bed fixed a lot of woes, some raised walls and berms should help slow and control run off water somewhat (as well as a big pipe placed underground).

Trailrunner, I don't really have a diagnosis on my back. The clinic I go to calls it "lumbar syndrome" and they avoid giving anything a name or diagnoses and they follow the Pettibon system. I do know that my neck had straightened, I have a torn disc and some other disc problems and I've had this muscle spasam (which sets off the episodes) almost all my life. It's set off the SI joints constantly locking which is what seems to set off the muscle spasam...I scoliosis too, not very badly but it seems it may be the catalyst to all of this. Right now it is very very hard for me to bend and get up again, I have no core muscles. I'm frustrated by it all.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I am so sorry that you have back problems. Years ago one doctor mentioned that tall people seem to have more problems. I was born with kyphosis and scoliosis. I used to be 5' 11" and am now 5' 7" . I certainly understand about working, as my Vietnamese friend used to say, "litty bit one time".

Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

Hi g...I am sorry you are having such a time. I am getting new orthotics and I think that will go a long way toward getting my hip back the way it was. I am a long distance cyclist and runner and I swim a mile every day from April to Oct at my home pool so I stay really active. My PT person knows chiropractic moves and uses them and it works but without the orthotics I keep getting out of alignment. I have old ones but have been remiss in getting new ones ! Perhaps orthotics would help you to maintain better alignment also. Maybe you can ask. Especially since you are on your feet all day every day.

Kathy..that is sure a huge change in height !! Do you have osteoporosis ? Are you taking anything ?

Stretching with pilates/yoga really makes a huge difference in your ability to maintain height and help posture and strengthen core muscles. I hope you both can check in to that if you haven't already. c

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

No, I don't have osteoporosis. When they did the test, my bones were so dense they were off the chart.
    The surgery I had in 06 got me back to 5' 9", but I have since gotten shorter. If you stretched my body out I would almost be that. One of the areas that he had intended to put rods on/in could not be done then. I forget exactly, but it had to do with the nerves in my right leg. Also my neck grows forward.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

GGG, so sorry to hear about your back. Also sorry you're still dealing with the drainage issue.

Even with those setbacks, your gardens look beautiful. The stonework looks great. I really enjoy seeing how lively your gardens are with everything painted in such great, vibrant, happy colors. It adds a lot to the feel of the garden.
    Cool car in the last picture!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! That car is a 1964 Volvo, my hubbies pride and joy so it sits in between our gardens when we aren't driving it. Every time we do drive in it, it's like a parade! Everyone stops and cheers and waves at us...so much fun!!
    Trailrunning, I think I am going to try moving on to PT, and to use acupuncture. There's a neurological component to my crazy back -and yes, I need orthotics. I've asked three times where I go for therapy and have not gotten them. They were going to brace my ankle and I have not gotten that either. I think they are playing chicken and egg, and feel that if the hips are aligned then the foot will straighten out. They do know that it's not the foot causing the issue, it's the neck and upper back....so perhaps they are not trying to get in there with overkill (my foot was fine when for the month my hips were better aligned, but for some reason I've lost control of the hips again). I spoke with one of the staff there yesterday and he feels that the height and the imbalance of leg length are creating so much tork that bending over is just killing the spine and making it very hard to gain core muscles (always a problem for me). The physio recommended I garden sitting on a ball which eases pressure when bending and utilizes core muscles.
    I've never had bone density but I get blood calcium taken annually as a marker (so the Dr. says) and it's high, the amount of leafy greens we eat contain more absorbable calcium than supplements or dairy. Grow your Greens!!!
    We had to cancel our big vacation this year (to San Diego). Well, at least postone it. Between my back, and our cat having very major dental surgery on Tuesday, there was no way. Poor hubby was so looking forward to it...(I was apprehensive about a long flight because of my back and my inability to sit. Sitting pushes my SI joints shut stuck).
    I am however a very lucky gal because a good friend is the next best gardener in the city :) and he's going to get a volunteer brigade together to get my compost spread, some more mulch down, a few more rocks toted and my veggie bed in for the summer. It is just killing me that I can't be the one to dig the holes!!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Sooo lovely! I remember when you posted pics of the start of your circle garden and it's really become something wonderful! Love the stones and have always admired your choice of colors for your house and fence!

• User
    10 years ago

Hey GGG...I am so sorry you have had to postpone SD trip. I love SD !! My son lived there for 3 yrs so we visited often.

The leg length discrepancy is sometimes mis-treated. If your legs are actually different lengths vs same length but appear different due to torque in back. The first has to be fixed by orthotics and the second has to be fixed by realignment and maintenance with muscle building and ligament/tendon strengthening. My legs are exactly the same length but they appear to be different due to back SI not staying straight. So you can see that it is important to know which you have.

Sounds like you definitely need to move on to PT. The balance ball and or the BOSU ball...it is a 1/2 ball on a hard base would be a very good idea. Really builds core.

Getting a supplement of Glucosamine/chondroitin also would go a long way toward helping your lig/tendon healing. Passive stretching which the PT can do and would be part of the yoga/pilates would be great too. Lots to check in to. I sure am glad you have such wonderful friends. I hope that your trip is back on soon ! Good Luck !

If you are 50 you really should have a DECA scan as a baseline. It is the definitive test . Mine came back exceptional when I had it at 50 due to all the weight bearing. Your insurance should cover it for sure with all your diagnosis and it only takes a few minutes. c

• Annie
    10 years ago

I wanted to mention this:
    Not everyone can take Glucosamine w/Condriton.
    I am one of those "lucky ones" who cannot take it.
    It doesn't do a thing for my joints.
    Some people have bad reactions to it . At least I don't have that!
    But, do be aware that it is not the cure-all for everyone, sadly.
    I too have recommended it to others and it worked wonders for them.
    ~Annie

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't do glutcosamine and condroiton or calcium as I'm a gluten free vegetarian and there isn't a single of those suppliments I can take. I've not had bone density but I think my Dr. has always assumed mine would be excellent because of all the weight bearing I used to do.
    Next week I've got an app't with an alternative therapist: acupuncture and massage that aligns by using muscle manipulation and lots of experience with SI joints. I can ask her and the leg length 'thing'. I have had problems with Plantar fasciitis whenever my back/muscle spasm happens which is why we're suspecting SI instability. I will ask about it though, and ask about the orthotic. I don't know why they haven't gotten any made for me. They've asked me and I said that yes, I wanted some if I needed them. They've never done the scans to see if I need them (which is weird because I'm sure they'd make a ton of money from it).
    Trailrunner, what kind of orthotic do you use? I had the hard, molded type - however when my gait changed they killed my feet and eventually no longer worked. It is almost impossible for me to find stable shoes that fit with a hard orthotic (which I find uncomfortable anyway) because my feet are so big!!