Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Bush

Posted by rebel215 7-VA (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 18:44

Hi, Everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...
Something is eating at the roots or under the roots of my rose bush. I've found it leaning over to the ground and a little hole in the dirt at the base. I think maybe a vole? Does anyone have an idea on what it is and/or what I can do about it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Bush

It is probably a vole. It may have already eaten most of the roots. Go out and gently pull the bush. If the vole has eaten most of the roots, it will come up. Even if it has, if you have a small topping of roots, you can cut the top way back, and re-pot the bush in light shade and keep it moist, not wet. Do not fertilize.

Go to the drugstore and get a bottle of castor oil. pour a little castor oil in any vole hole and sprinkle it around all of your rose, daylilies, and other shrubs and plants.

You can also mix the castor oil with some dish soap and spray it all over. A third (more expensive but not horrible choice) is to go to gardens alive and buy the mole product that is dry granules with about 20% castor oil and lightly sprinkle it all over. It will get rid of your voles for a year or two, but keep an eye out and do it again when you see their holes or tunnels.

This doesn't kill them, but it drives them out of your yard.

kay

o

Thank you, Kay. I'll definitely do that. I've had roses here for years and it's the first time this has ever happened.

o

You are welcome. They have killed several of my roses, and several daylilies. they even started on the Japanese Maple Tree. I detest the little fast breeding critters.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here