Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

New Flower Bed

thinman
10 years ago

I started a new flower bed on Friday. It is roughly 8 ft by 30 ft, and here are a few pictures of the start of it.

There is a more complete look at what I've done on my blog at Tom's Gardens

For perennials, I have baptisia, foxgloves, stachys, heliopsis, veronica, liatris, and yarrow ready to go.

For annuals, I have started dahlia coccinea, gomphrena, cosmos, snapdragons, and zinnias. Lots of zinnias. If I still need more, I may just have to go to the nearest garden center.

If there is interest, I'll keep you posted as it progresses.

ThinMan

Comments (21)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Fantastic job so far, love, love, love the bed shape you decided on. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you progress. You did good :).

Annette

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

ThinMan, It looks great! I would love for you to keep adding progress pictures. Your selection of plants sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see how you set all in. Going to your blog now.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Great job of sod removal and soil amending! I look forward to seeing more pics of your progress as you place plants.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

if there is interest? Of course there is interest, TM! So far, it looks great. All that soil, manure, and compost will make for very happy plants! I can't wait to watch the progress. Love the pic of Annie inspecting your work. Annabelle would be planning where to dig first. ;(

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Going to be beautiful.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got a few plants in between rains and other things. From front to back: yarrow and purple liatris, rock, little bitty Japanese maple, heliopsis, and baptisia.

More to come.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

A new garden! so exciting :) I love the shape you chose. Reminds me of paisley.
    will you be adding ground cover or mulch? How will you keep your edges crisp? My gardens always start off so full of promise and then get away. lol not in a good way.
    :) Laura

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Laura, I haven't decided about mulch yet, but won't be using any ground cover. Probably. I have some of that black plastic edging that I'm going to try. I've never used it, so I'll have to see how it goes.

TM

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Very nice shape, I love yarrow, what color did you plant? What size is your Japanese Maple supposed to reach? This will be a lovely bed.

kay

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

TM, that looks great! You must be quite handy with that tractor. The scraping of the sod looks perfect.
    What other plants do you have planned to go in? Any shrubs?

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kay. The yarrow I have is plain old yellow, called Cloth of Gold. It has done well for me as a cut flower and doesn't become invasive. I don't know what the Japanese maple is going to do I got some seedlings that had sprouted under a friend's maple, so they are wild cards I've been nursing them along for a few years now, and boy, do they grow slowly. They have been surviving our winters, so I think they are keepers.

Thank you, Thyme. I was pretty careful with the tractor bucket and took it very slowly. It did turn out surprisingly well. If you check back in my first post, you'll see a list of plants.

TM

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Lovely. You have a nice design sense. I love the yellow yarrow too.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lots of things to do here at ThinMan Acres, but I've managed to get some more plants moved into the new bed. Now there are stachys, liatris, achillea, lilies, and the tiny Japanese Maple at this end.

I've added some veronica at this end: blue, white, and pink. Of course I have no idea which plants are which color, but that adds a little surprise factor, right?

There are more pics on my blog:

Tom's Gardens

TM

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I really like the rock. I went t the blog and am so looking forward to seeing the bed develop and grow. You have a lot of my favorites, so it will be a pleasure to see it. the rock is suck a nice point of interest since I really like the way rocks look in a bed. good going.
    kay

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Looks Great! I too, like the shape and the rock! It looks like it will all look so naturalized in no time!

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Really looking good. Isn't it great starting a new bed. I'm following your blog too.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not too much new. Got some foxgloves, dahlia coccineas, and gomphrena planted plus some black edging.

{{gwi:680998}}

Plenty of room left for zinnias, cosmos, and snapdragons.
    TM

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Please post more pictures this summer. Looking very good.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lilies don't exactly scream cottage garden, but I had 'em, so I put them in. This one is now blooming nicely.
    {{gwi:680999}}

I'll post some more pics soon. I'm waiting for just a few more blooms and then I'll take some wider shots of the whole bed.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Enjoyed seeing the progress on your new bed, TM. Now I'm off to read your blog.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Looking very good! Of course lilies are cottagey. I expect your mix of colors will work out well. Cottage gardens can have random color arrangements.

Hope to see more pics as plants grow and bloom.

Sponsored