Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

For Rita , Lupine Tutti Frutti..

silverkelt
13 years ago

I dont usually post here.. just troll through..

But I had to share these pics for you Rita, Tutti Frutti is my favorite series of Lupine, I believe they surpass all others...

Tall , Vivid, Bicolored blooms...

{{gwi:394116}}

{{gwi:362946}}

{{gwi:394115}}

The only others I would grow in my garden again is probable the band of nobles.. as they have solid reds and yellows, but to me Tutti Frutti takes the cake =)...

Silverkelt

Comments (23)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I love them :-)) I haven't ever seen that purple and yellow combo before. It is really awesome. Those deep rose pinks are beautiful too and I think I see one that is a red and pink bi-color.

That is what drew me to the lupines, the increadable rich vibrant colors that they have. I have only seen seeds of the tutti fruitti for sale, never the plants, not even on line. But I did buy from Bluestone Perrenials the Woodfield hybrids, which is another of the improved strains of the Russel Hybrids.

Just keep on posting pictures as more of yours start to bloom LOL :-))

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Wow- they are really delicious looking. The two tones make the colors vibrate.
    Renee

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Those are gorgeous!. Thanks a lot, now I have to add another one to my "want" list,lol
    Tammy

• carrieburgess3
    13 years ago

So pretty!!! Now it's on my want list to. It's just about time for another new bed.:o)
    Carrie

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Ah me! I do love the lupines! Those colors are delicious!
    kay

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I'm not Rita,just had to look though,and glad i did.Those are absolutely gorgeous.Never grew those so will have to check and see if we can grow them here in S.Ca,with that much beauty.TFS
    Kathi

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

I totally love lupines - don't they just say english cottage garden?! They are difficult for me here in central Illinois - I have had a number of wonderful plants over the years but they never last long. I had a picture years ago of my front borders dotted with lupines and it is my favorite picture of all time of my gardens.

Did anyone start from seed? I notice Renee's Garden Seeds carries Tutti Frutti. It's wonderful!

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Hooray! I found Tutti Frutti mix seed at Walmart tonight. I think I read somewhere that these bloom the first yr. I hope so.
    Tammy

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Wow, people find lots of types of seeds at Walmart. Somehow I never thought of Walmart as a seed source.

It's almost June. I find it hard to see how a perennial started this late could flower the first year. But I could be wrong and worst case you have the plants growing for flowers next spring.

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I first found these for 4.95 through one of the online seed sources(like 5-6 years ago), IE T&M or somthing.. but yes Ive seen these all over the place now.. it doesnt take long, last year cherry brandy rudbeckia was all the rage online to order, I found some this year at a local nusery.

Usually the more sales on a particular item.. the faster to mass market it goes.

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention.. I doubt you will get flowers from sowing now.. but next year. When they say first season , they are stating first season with a early inside sowing.

I wintersowed mine (here Lupine like my climate, we see stands of thousands by the highway sides, but those are wild mixes, of mostly medium purples, sometimes cream and light pinks, nothing like the vivid colors of modern day hybrids...

Silverkelt

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

I just read several statements about this one blooming the first year from seed. Here is a string of posts that tells a little more.
    Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Lupine Tutti Frutti

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

That is an interesting thread about the Lupines on the perennial forum.

As far as my own personal garden, I have read that the lupines make long taproots. Therefore they don't tolerate clay and want sand. Well guess what, under my nice garden soil which I have on the top, dig down here and you hit builders sand. The lupines should love it. The soil drains well also. The only negative is that it does get hot and muggy in the summer. But out heat doesn't usually last as long as it would down south. So I am very hopeful that the lupines can and will do well here. Plus I intend to keep them well watered, especially if it gets hot. Apparently Lupines don't like to dry out.

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

I have mostly clay in my soil.But it does seem to drain fairly well. Especially in these raised beds. I have my first Lupines this year. I started them last yr. But they are kind of a lavender shade. I love the intense colors of yours.I hope mine do OK here.
    Tammy

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Tammy, I guess we will both find out next year when hopefully they all come up and bloom beautifully.

The great part about buying potted plants at the local nursery was being able to pick and choose thru the pots and get just the color tones that I wanted.

But I did buy the ones mail order that are the mixes. So I expect to get a wider color range than I do now. I know there were light pinks at the nursery that I just didn't buy. But I don't remember seeing any yellows and I know the mixes have yellow and pink too as well as the blue and the red.

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:681061}}

{{gwi:214574}}

Peak shot.. its probable never going to look better than this.. some of the earliest blooms are starting to go to seed in the back now...

{{gwi:214575}}

But for its late spring flush of color, its been a very dramatic backdrop.. Im still 2-3 weeks away from rose peak here.. so this has been a great plant for me.

{{gwi:366173}}

Silverkelt

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

These pictures are just stunning. Especially the second one with the way the light is hitting the blooms and the color that stands out. That is what does it for me, the color and the color combos that I have just never seen on anything else. I love that purple and pink one, great color. Plus the two tones are very interesting.

I love the way you have them in front of those rocks, it makes such a great backround. And the lupines themselves make such a great backround for the rest of the garden.

Mine are past peak, I have been cutting off bloom stalks that went to seed. But I bought them already blooming which I figgure cut into my bloom time here in the garden. But new stalks come up so on a settled in plant, I figgure these things go for a long time.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I remember this from last year. It actually came up on a web search I was doing for seeds. So I looked at all the glorious pictures again.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow- it's a good thing they don't grow here, because I think my entire garden would be devoted to them. Thanks for the wonderful photos.
    Renee

• merindah
    12 years ago

Beautiful colors!

• shpnquen
    12 years ago

OK, I waaaaaant these. Can never find them in plant form around here, probably too late for sowing in my zone too.

@ silverkelt, absolutely stunning plants & pictures! I am curious tho, what are the reddish flowers poking up in front on that last picture? I'm intrigued by those, as well, and thanks so much for sharing your garden shots with us too!

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just noticed this thread floating around again..

Im still 1-2 weeks away from these again at least , We are sooo much later this year.

The red flower is geum , Mrs Bradshaw.. not sure it made it back this year.. they tend to be short lived here. in fact im thinking its gone for the year. as I can see that spot out my window here. I never fuss about most of these things as I can re wintersown most of them if I so choose too easily. Even the lupine, its just a two year process really. My garden never looks the same, things come and go each year. Sometimes i resave seeds for years, then fall in love with something else and forget to save something for awhile.. I wish I saved some of the Annual yellow hibiscus ive been growning for years though.. forgot about it last year =( ..

Silverkelt

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I stumbled upon the thread and couldn't ignore those fabulous lupines so I had to bring it up again. It is good to add new things but I hope you just continue to grow the lupines. They are much too beautiful to be without. Please post new pictures when they bloom again. I would love to see them this year.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA