Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
careytearose

Euonymus 'Manhattan' used on trellis for a hedge?

careytearose
16 years ago

I saw these at our local nursery, they look like they could work for us as a start of a hedge wall instead of using box or holly. The ones they have are already 5 foot high by 4 ft wide, an evergreen plant. They aren't very deep, so this is good for us for the place we would site them in full sun. The "Manhattan" is the E. kiautschovicus; it can grow to be 8 foot x 8 foot. We'd have them be used on two sides (right angles) of the two corners of our ugly good neighbor back fence. DH would attach the trellises to the fence with a wood spacer between the trellises and the fence.

Has anybody grown these?? What do you think of it in this application? I'm also going to x-post this in the Landscape Design forum as well. Your input is most appreciated.

careytearose

Comments (4)

• libbyshome
    16 years ago

It will look great. And you can trim it however you like.
    See this pic:

Here is a link that might be useful: hedge

• jant
    16 years ago

Yes, I've done this in Denver and also right now screening out our A/C units. They're beautiful shrubs and although they were ONLY a shade/part shade plant in Denver due to our strong sun, they require full sun here in MA. That said however, they don't like windy locations in our winters....they get winter burn. This year I'll put some burlap in front of them. To get them higher faster, prune out the front growing stems to direct the energy up. I think you're on the edge of their heat zone so they'll need some good water.

• nippersdad
    16 years ago

I planted some hedges of Euonymous Manhattan about ten years ago. It is a really beautiful plant, practically indestructible. The birds love to nest in them and they are a breeze to root...but if you have hot muggy summers, be prepared for powdery mildew and scale problems.

• limequilla
    16 years ago

I have one that is 8 x 8. Love it! I also have some that are only 24, 36 and 48" high because you can take the electric hedgeclippers to them to make them any shape or size you want. Or you can hand prune to get them perfect.

They can get crown gall (clip it out, but if it persists and is unsightly, you have to get rid of the plant, anything in the genus, because the crown gall spores are in the soil) and scale. If they get scale, my advice is to replace them with an entirely different genus. You can't fully get rid of scale on Euonyous, but you can kill yourself (literally) trying. The poisons for scale used to be, at least, very toxic. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with it. YMMV.

I wanted to add that for 4-6 weeks in the months of Feb and early March they turn a vile shade of light brown and then lose their leaves. The bright green leaf buds emerge within a week, and it's okay, but I wanted to say I'm not sure it's actually winter burn. I used to try burlap, wilt pruf, cloth, plastic, I tried everything, and it seems like they just go through their "fall" in Feb-Mar instead of October when you're used to seeing things turn brown. I have no wind here for all practical purposes and have it in sun, shade and everything in between. It makes no difference, but if you ever find a way to keep them evergreen without the brown, PLEASE POST IT!!

Lime