Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

curious about growing ceanothus in socal

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Hi folks,

I live in inland Southern California with heavy clay alkaline soil.

I probably won't buy one until the fall, as that's what's recommended, but I was trying to research ceanothus (california lilac) a little bit today.

It says it does well in clay and alkaline, so it should do well for me (thats what I have) as long as I don't overwater it or amend it, right? (and probably plant it a little higher than soil level to help it drain some?)

I was considering c. concha because it sounds like it's more tolerant of summer water, which I suppose it might get some of due to the other plants near it... but it's kinda in the corner, so I think if I tweak my irrigation system some I can make sure it gets no direct water.

thoughts?

or is this a plant I should avoid...?

I meant to get one in the winter, but the landscapers put in a prostrate form instead... which seems to be doing reasonably well, though it hasn't spread much. (but there's no yellow leaves... so I guess it's reasonably happy?)

Comments (8)

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

also considering California Lilac 'Descanso Hybrids' (Syringa x hyacinthiflora)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What effect are you going for? There may be plants that better fit your needs. Have you considered butterfly bush?
    Renee

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Ceanothus grow very well in the UK and are a popular choice here, often grown as a wall shrub for extra warmth. A common one is C. 'Gloire de Versailles'. So, if they are happy in our wet climate I would have thought they'd be fine in your garden, even with the irrigation. The link shows one growing in a British garden. Note the surrounding greenery - obviously gets plenty of natural watering here! (Irrigation systems are very rare in UK gardens)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:681553}}

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

renee, I just wanted the general effect/look... would be nice if it's fragrant... and something that hummingbirds would like would be a plus., but generally just wanted a large bush 6-10 feet would be fine probably? that looks kinda like that and doesn't require a ton of water.
    but some of the super super drought tolerant plants get angry if they don't have good enough drainage and with my heavy clay soil, I fear that can be a problem.

Butterfly bush might be a better choice for me

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

or even something like Kolkwitzia amabilis (Beauty Bush)... I just want something with that soft bushy form thats large and would be covered in flowers kinda like lilac or butterfly bush. Not hugely caring about the color, though I suppose I'd prefer some form of reddish purple or purple (no bright red or yellow)

• DYH
    13 years ago

I fell in love with ceanothus in France last year. Oh, what envy! Such a gorgeous shrub with stunning blue blooms!

I decided to try one and planted it in April. Mine is c. thyrsiflorus 'Victoria' and has so far, survived our crazy drought in April, deluge in May; humidity off and on. If it doesn't make it, I'm out $12. I think I can handle that! Mine came from Lazy S'S Farm in Virginia and arrived beautiful and healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Inspiration: French Blue

• trythrice
    10 years ago

Dear Wonbyherwits,
    It's been a while - How does the ceanothus grow? Growers around Raleigh NC say they are impossible, I've been drooling over those blues for several years. Maybe you have given me the incentive to go ahead & buy one!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

A lady around the corner from me has a gorgeous one.

What about blue plumago,I have a big Bush of that,and it thrives on neglect.
    Kathi

Sponsored