Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martienne17

Starting fresh after 4 years!

martienne17
9 years ago

I had a small-scale cottage garden at my old house, but after the move various things prevented me from starting again until now. I'm starting out by putting in a hugelkulture veggie bed. We have a lot of brush from small trees that grew up along the fence so I thought it was the perfect thing to try.

First we had to dig out a spot, which is the foundation of what used to be a barn. The soil was loose and rich, probably because it was growing over brick. We pulled a lot of bricks out of this spot.

{{gwi:142508}}

It was easy enough to dig a small trench and lay the brush down, though i did have to trim the branches a lot to make sure everything lay straight.

{{gwi:142509}}

As you can see, this is a pretty small-scale project. The beds are about 7 feet by 3 feet.

{{gwi:142510}}

I have a box with garden seeds in it somewhere but if I don't find it before long I'm just going to buy plants and fill the garden up that way. It's gotten just a bit late to be starting seed, I think. This is mainly meant to be a veggie bed though I do plan to plant some flowers such as sunflowers and nasturtiums. And I have some other beds I'm planning to start in other areas of the yard.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery