Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Suggestions for bed

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

My tub sits in a windowed alcove, and looks out into a small flower bed. In the center of the bed it a weeping cherry (did i get that right?). There are some boxwoods, daffodils, ferns etc. Last fall I put in allium, and I just love the view of the big tall stems.

It has made me realize that I should add more flowers to this bed. Because the windows are probably like 2' off the floor, they need to be high.

What do you suggest? This is on the east side of our home, so I suppose it gets morning sun? Seems pretty sunny there to me. I do not like anything red, orange or yellow. I much prefer whites, green, blue, some purple. Foxglove? Delphinium? It can be something that requires a little maintenance.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Cosmos, clematis, coleus (maybe in a basket on a shepard's hook?), foxglove, ferns? Are you looking for perennials or annuals?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perennials or annuals, doesn't matter.

Thanks, I will look those up!

• SweetJulia
    11 years ago

Cleome is nice. Shasta daisy, Larkspur, I love foxglove!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Can you grow Lupines in your climate? Tall bearded irises come in lots of blues.
    Renee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

A couple of kinds of clematis on obelisks. They are mostly white, pink, lavender, purple, and blue-purple and you can choose varieties that combined will cover pretty much the entire growing season. You'll have to check with local sources for what clematis they have been successful in your area. I know there are a few CA clematis growers on the clem forum.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the bed is too small and crowded for obelisks. I am now considering window boxes, which would obviate the need for height. I did find some great looking copper ones that patina, which would go with our outdoor lights.

Here is the view from inside. I want to be able to see flowers from the tub.
    {{gwi:681677}}

Here is the view from outside. All i have done is plant the allium, which i love. I have a lot more in front of my dining room. The tree in the center is a weeping cherry. I think I will take out the boxwoods, which looks like one took and one did not...

{{gwi:681679}}

I thought this bed was partial sun, but it really only get a few hours of morning sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: copper window boxes

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It's a pretty bed. I agree- take out the boxwoods. Why not just plant more alliums in front of the window? They look tall enough, and they look so good en masse.
    Renee

• threedogsmom
    11 years ago

You could move the boxwoods to the two corners up against the house so you are not wasting them. Then the right cultivar of astilbes can give you 2-3ft height, pastel pink/peach/white/lavender blooms, fernlike foliage, shade tolerance. Old fashioned pink Bleeding hearts would also thrive in that spot, mine get 2.5 ft tall in that type of shade so they might also look good in the mid level. Colorful variegated hosta foliage and heuchera/heucherellas would also look good in the front and add color to a shady spot. For window boxes, you can do impatiens/begonias and/or coleus for some long season color in that amt of shade. Either way, looks like you have a nice bed to work with and lots of opportunity for something new and beautiful to look at from both sides of the bed. Post pics !!

Sponsored