Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

First big garden project done

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Last week, I finally got the round ivy bed in one of the small sunken gardens re-structured. In the first pic you can see the "before". I had to walk up into and across the round ivy bed with the stones (up front towards the left with statue of lady)to get to the other side (with the serviceberry shrub) so that I could weed that area. One of these days I was going to fall plus the grass had started to grow up through the ivy terribly. I knew I had to do something. So I dug half of the bed out - dirt and ivy all, dug a shallow trench in front of it and filled it with pea gravel and laid pavers for a path. Then covered it in sand to help sink and steady the stone.

It took two days of hauling dirt and then one day of gravel and sand to lay the pavers and recycle the stones into a short retaining wall across the ivy bed. It isn't the prettiest path I've made but it will serve the purpose intended. Plus, I cheated and used manufactured concrete pavers, something I rarely do in the garden but I decided I wasn't up for a trip to the ravine in the woods and hauling stones! Getting too old. The fake stone doesn't look too bad does it? I also used some real stone as "fillers" so they are scattered in between them. Scratch that project off the list.

Before:

{{gwi:682020}}

After:

{{gwi:682021}}

{{gwi:682022}}

Comments (13)

• rafor
    11 years ago

Great job! You made huge progress!!!! Looks wonderful.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    11 years ago

I think it looks fantastic. You're my superhero now--what a great job!!

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Now THAT is a wonderfully designed garden, where you can't see everything all at once, but you have to go down the path to see what's around the corner or behind a bush. And (I'm not usually a fan of statuary), but I love your lady emerging from the ferns. You are very talented.
    Christine

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. So glad it's done, been wanting to do that for the last three or four years. I think once you have good bones in a garden, design kind of falls into place.

anniegolden, the "fern is actually TANSY - FERNLEAF
    Scientific Name: Tanacetum vulgare var. crispum. (I'm trying to learn to look up proper names!). An elderly neighbor gave me a start of this herb many,many years ago. She's been gone a long time now and I remember her fondly when I look upon it - and pull it. ha. It can be invasive so you must be vigilant and not toss what you've pulled into the ditch or field. It has a unique fragrance.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I think it looks terrific! The stone looks wonderful and, no, can't tell the fake from the real! I am very impressed...and inspired. Time for a WALAT (wandering around looking and thinking)in my yard/garden. Most of my work needs to wait until weekends or until school is out, but your pictures and the gardens everyone is posting have given me so many good ideas. Thanks for sharing!

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Schoolhouse, re the tansy, that's what gardening is all about, sharing plants and remembering the one who shared.
    Christine

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

It looks lovely Christine, it gives one a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when a project turns out so well doesn't it. I love your lady and the setting you've given her is just perfect.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again. Glad the fake stone is blending in so well. And a correction when I mentioned the sand for "to steady the stone", I meant "to set the stone". I wanted builders sand because it is a little darker and natural in color but RKO had these three broken bags of play sand and I got them for cheap. Didn't need as much as I thought either but now I'll have it for future projects.

cyn, I know what you mean by having limited time to work outside. I'm retired 9yrs. this July and can't imagine how I did all the work when I worked full time. I guess things just took awhile longer, one project a year, only money and time for two shrubs this year, a special plant the next, ect.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh- what a lovely scene. It's beautifully designed. I hope you don't have any black fingernails after moving all of that stone!
    I'm saving these photos to my favorites.
    Renee

• DYH
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful! Love the layers and how you frame the view to invite a person down the path.

Cameron

• User
    11 years ago

That looks great !! I can't tell the difference either with the pavers/stone. Certainly was a lot of work but so worth it. You always post the most amazing projects. c

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

It looks great! You accompished a bunch and it shows.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services