Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Some Garden Standouts

mantis__oh
11 years ago

Some reliable plants are displaying in a spring season that has been a roller coaster of temperatures and precipitation amounts.

DICTAMNUS

The reliable blooms make a show for 2-3 weeks..

{{gwi:682204}}

WEIGELA FLORIDA VARIEGATA Really needs a protected spot to flourish here, but the climate is changing.

{{gwi:682205}}

{{gwi:682206}}

BOWL OF BEAUTY (Nigella is a good backdrop for almost everything.)

{{gwi:682207}}

ORIENTAL POPPIES They are vivid, but don't scream so much as this camera makes them.

{{gwi:682208}}

Too hot for this camera to capture.

{{gwi:682209}}

Pink photographs better. Not sure why I keep these poppies, which are so messy later.

{{gwi:682210}}

Peony MINNIE SHAYLOR is photogenic, but doesn't last long.

{{gwi:682211}}

BLETILLA in late afternoon sun in shade garden.

{{gwi:682212}}

And next morning:

{{gwi:682213}}

Comments (10)

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Everything is very pretty. I particularly love the weigella. I have to look up Bletilla as I'm not familiar with it. It's pretty.

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

Everything looks beautiful!!! Where did you get the gas plant? I would love to try one but have never seen one for sale.
    Joann

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. Love the Nigella and peony combo. I've tried Nigella in the past with zero luck...the plants never seem to make it past three inches tall, lol! I may have to give them one more go- third times the charm right? ;-)

Your Bletilla is fab! Do you have it in a protected spot at all? I tried a variegated one years ago and it did zippo. Your pic has convinced me I should try one again though.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful blooms with us!!
    CMK

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bletilla is a vigorous grower, but it needs semi-shade to bloom well (not total shade). Zone 5, however, may be too cold. The variegated ones are more difficult, but I prefer the foliage of the regular one, as well as the reliable bloom. (I can't say that the variegation is all that pleasing anyway.) The bletilla blooms for about a month. This year, though, with the crazy weather, the blooms don't seem quite so full.

Nigella ends up everywhere once it gets started; it self-sows rampantly. It doesn't bloom for long; but where else does one get such a pleasing shade of blue?

Joann: I got the gas plant years ago from a place called Milaeger's. (Don't know if it is still in business.) Once you get the dictamnus started, it is very reliable.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Love all those blooms! Do you take care with the gasplant seedheads? I brushed up against them one year and had scars for a number of years. I had quite a bad reaction. Did I remove it from my garden after that? NOPE! I LOVE gasplant! You don't see them in too many gardens. Yours is beautiful.

• DYH
    11 years ago

Really lovely! I've wanted to grow gasplant, but don't know if it's deer resistant. It seems that it would be.

Cameron

• luckygal
    11 years ago

So pretty - I especially love the pink Oriental poppies and the variegated Weigela. TFS

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

You have so many interesting and exotic flowers. I love the weigela- your photo is as pretty as the one in the Sunset Western Garden book that always makes me drool.

Your peony-nigella combo is so pretty- a wonderful combination. That's my favorite peony, although I have never seen any in person.

I know why you grow those poppies- they are spectacular! I plant some annual ones every year, but the oriental poppies are prettier. That peachy-pink and black one is to die for.
    Thanks!
    Renee

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

None of this stuff is blooming in my area yet, so it is so nice to see(speaking as a newbie gardener)what looks awesome planted together...lovely photos of a lovely garden!!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I especially love the weigelia and the poppies. You grow them because that are so beautiful and have such presence in the garden.
    kay

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz