Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Dutch Iris ??

I planted lots and lots of dutch iris last fall. The foliage is all up but I don't see any sign of forthcoming bloom. Am I just being impatient? I read it's supposed to be an "early" spring bloomer, but lately it has not felt like spring at all with the cool temps and rain every day. Anyone else have experience with these? Are they (or did they) blooming yet for you?

Thanks for any info!

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I planted lots and lots of Dutch Iris last fall also. The folliage was up as soon as the snow melted. Forget the early spring, mine still have not bloomed. They have just very recently (as in less than a week) started showing bloom stalks. And I am in a much warmer zone. So have patience.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. I was hoping I was just being impatient but like you both said they have been up for so long with no bloom stalks or anything. I'm looking forward to them.

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

Lowes had 75% off bulbs - and were selling a bag of 50 Dutch Iris bulbs for $2.50. I bought some yesterday. I hope they bloom next year. Some of the bulbs had little green stems coming out, some did not.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

{{gwi:682215}}

My first Dutch Iris bloom of the year. Doesn't look like that much in the picture but really looks very beautiful when you see it in person.

I have never had any luck with spring planted Dutch Iris bulbs. These things need to be planted in the fall. I guess at that price there is not much to loose though.

• anitamo
    12 years ago

I'm so confused about these irises. I planted about 50 of them three falls ago, and the following spring they bloomed. Last year, foliage but no blooms. So far this year only the foliage has appeared. I hope to get blooms because they are precious. But I was disappointed in the short bloom period. If you blink, you might miss the show. :)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

From what I have read, they don't work in colder zones like yours in zone 5. One year only.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gulp! You mean I shouldn't have ordered as many as I did? That's a bit rotten that the catalogs say they're good to even colder than Z5. So are they talking foliage only? Kind of like everywhere I now see H. macrophylla listed as Z5 but the buds usually die so we get foliage only.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Well, I have read lots of people from colder zones say they do not come back after that first year. But everyones garden is different. There is no guarantee that mine will come back next year either. I only have to wait and see. Meantime I intend to plant more this fall in some other areas.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, they're finally here. Now, perhaps when I placed my order last fall I actually did have a plan for the color, but alas, I can't remember. I had thought I bought a mixed blend of colors but apparently not since they all (probably about 60) came up a deep yellow. I love the color and they look good with the catmint. So, I'm sticking with the thought that I really did plan this combo! LOL!

{{gwi:682216}}

• SusanBachman
    10 years ago

That is a pretty picture. I wish you had focused on the Dutch Iris instead of the catmint though. I like the color combination.

I planted Dutch Iris last fall along with many other bulbs (daffodils, tulips, alliums, grape hyacinths, bearded iris, crocus). Everything came up and bloomed except for the Dutch Iris.

I am in zone 6 I think and we had a cold winter. I heard from other people Dutch Iris don't grow well here but the Siberian Iris do. It is May 23 now and I am thinking of pulling out my Dutch Iris while I can still see the leaves.

Anyone else having a problem with their Dutch Iris not blooming? I have only leaves.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Lowes has their Spring bulbs on sale already?

• flutterbug
    9 years ago

I planted Dutch bulbs once and I only got foliage. Not a single bloom.

• kerryshuper
    7 years ago

The first year I planted mine I got bloom. The last 3 years no bloom. I'm in the bay area in No. California so the weather is mild.

• bonitapplebum
    5 years ago

kerryshuper Curious if your dutch iris ever bloomed again? What zone are you in? I'm in the bay as well in Zone 10a.

Sponsored