Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID of salvia, please.

Posted by justkristy 8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 20:33

Got a small plant from a plant swap, that has really grown, and very deep blue. It's about 3 feet high in my garden.
unknown salvia.
The flash pictures kind of make it look washed out.
Unknown salvia.
Any ideas?
Kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID of salvia, please.

i believe it "black and blue". i have it and love it!!

o

I agree. I need to get another one for this house. I had forgotten about them.

o

Yes to black and blue, and I want some too!

o

Yep... Salvia guaranitica

o

Thanks to all for helping me name this. I had no idea it would get so tall...almost smothering some daylilies planted there.

o

I have read that in some areas where this is hardy (it isn't for me) that self-seeding can be a problem. You might want to check around with other local gardeners who grow it or keep it deadheaded as a precaution. Otherwise, it's a great plant. Keep an eye and ear out for hummingbirds since this is one of their favorite plants in my garden. I tend to plant it where I can see it from inside the house as well as when I am on the patio or working in the garden.

o

Salvia Black and Blue is a hummingbird magnet. It is one of my gotta-have-it plants. It should be perennial in your zone.

If yours gets too big, just whack it back a little. It won't mind.

Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here