Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

I am so excited! My peony bloomed today, first time

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I was taking pictures of the roses and checking out the foxglove that is beginning to bloom when I realized the three of the buds had opened on the white peony! It didn't bloom last year, so I am doing the happy dance!

{{gwi:682731}}

The roses are pretty too, the flush is really beginning to show and the fragrance is so nice! This is the only time of year i can count on the fragrance wafting out when I get anywhere near the roses.

{{gwi:682732}}

Compassion is so pretty, and smells so good , and has wicked thorns.

{{gwi:682733}}

{{gwi:682734}}

And William Shakespear 2000 is cutting up...he's covered with buds and many blooms and he's reaching for duchess de brabant who appears to be dropping her petals in horror:)

{{gwi:262320}}

DH loves the bright red of WS 2000, thinks all roses should be red. Not a gardener.

{{gwi:262319}}

This one's for Annie; Lilac Dawn:

{{gwi:266213}}

I do love Spring!

kay

Comments (18)

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Congrats on your peony blooms. It's gorgeous. And so are your roses. Your beds are so pretty.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Oh, my, gorgeous pictures! My DH is the same, thinks they should all be red, so this year I bought Oklahoma, Firefighter and Francis Debreuil to keep him happy with my addiction....

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sandi. I am loving them.

ogrose, I think it is funny that he is so serious about it. The hedge of Knockouts (minus the one the voles got) is hot pink. He was complaining (whining) that I should have gotten red Knockouts instead. I told him the red would not go with the iris bed in front, but he was not convinced, in fact was miffed that I said that.

What do you think?

{{gwi:682737}}

The roses are just opening in these pics. That red flag in the picture clashes with the iris, and red roses would too, I suspect. And the other side of the bed is iris in dark purple shades.

{{gwi:682739}}

Red wouldn't work there.

kay

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

No, red wouldn't be nearly as lovely as the pink. That's a beautiful bed.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I agree with sandi, the pink looks great with the Iris. Love the dark purple, I made my first foray into the more modern iris, got a dark purple from Blue J last fall, among others, and love it!

You're doing a beautiful job.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

How pretty everything is. I have never seen a peony.
    Guess DH is out numbered. I am not fond of red flowers. About the only red I will have is the amaryllis.
    Kathy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

So pretty! The buds on mine haven't opened yet. Love the white.

I love your color combinations, too.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I love red!
    Your purple irises are so beautiful.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renee,
    I have red roses, just not in back of the iris...William Shakespear 2000
    kay

{{gwi:682741}}

{{gwi:262319}}

Also, chinas, Don Juan, Red Masterpiece, and Papa Meilland.

kay

• Annie
    10 years ago

Thank you Dahr-ling!
    I do love that Lilac rose. Awwww...that was so thoughtful of you to think of me!

Your garden is full of color and vitality. Mine is just sitting there...on hold. Everything in your garden looks healthy and so pretty! I bet with all those beautiful roses and irises blooming, your garden smells delicious. I only wish irises could have a longer blooming period. I can sit out in the garden and sniff and sniff and sniff their yummy scent for hours.
    I love red roses, too, and I must say. WS 2000 is AWESOME! (swooning..)

I actually like red and purple together, especially with yellow gold. Very regal colors.
    I like deep red with bold, bright yellows, white, purples, blues, turquoise, oranges and some shades of pink, HOT Tropical colours, with Caribbean blues, but never with demure Pastels.
    It just depends upon the shades and the hues of red.. I do NOT like pinky-washed-out-reds. If it is going to be red, I want my roses to bloody well be a true red, a Christmas red, a juicy apple red, or a cherry red, or a deep crimson red...or it's Off with their heads! Off with their Heads!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I really like that pointed form on Compassion. Is the peony Festiva Maxima?

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I remembered your saying you really wanted Lilac Dawn at one time. Maybe it will behave and grow nicely and you can get a cutting from it.

Thanks Mantis, I think it has a lovely form. Yes, the peony is Festiva Maxima, and the other three buds will open if this repeat mini winter is ever over. I had one bloom on Flame earlier this year. Sarah Bernhardt bloomed last year, but nor this year, and i think I need to move it this fall due to insufficient sun.

kay

• Annie
    10 years ago

Kay,
    Well now I know the name of my white peonies!
    I got a start of it years ago from my mother. She didn't know what its name was either. But now I do! Thanks Mantis and Kay. Your conversation helped me too. Awesome.

My peonies are budded and getting ready to bloom. I have a few others with no names. All are passalongs and bloom, except the red one that I bought. I've had it about five years and it has never bloomed. Bummer.

Going right now to make name markers for my Festiva Maxima before I forget..

THANKS!!!
    ~Annie

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

How lovely seeing roses and peonies blooming! I am excited cuz I just bout a yellow tree peony at a community plant sale and it also looks like a few other peonies was given(unknown color to me) will be blooming soon! Plus I have another peony that I bought at a different fundraiser plant sale that blooms it's little red heart out!! It is so vigorous that I have split it up 2x now and it never stops blooming, will bloom every year!! Yet I have a stubborn one that has done nothing in over 5 yrs!? I am transplanting the tree peony today into a bigger pot and it will live on my deck this year. It was on my "Must Have List" this year!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Calamity! You have to post pictures, you know that. Can't wait to see them.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Calamity! You have to post pictures, you know that. Can't wait to see them.
    kay

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Loved getting to peek into your garden and seeing all your gorgeous flowers, I have several peonies pinks and whites and one stubborn red 'Sam Donaldson' it has never bloomed, one more year and it's going to be history.
    I especially love your 'Compassion' if I had more room I'd be looking for that one.

Annette

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annette. I have some peonies to move this fall since they have wound up being in too much shade. It is one of the plants my mother had great success growing, and so here is a sentimental aspect to growing peonies.

Compassion is a beautiful rose. It is a climber and pretty big, lovely scent, and pretty big thorns. I love it.
    kay

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz