Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Terraces Garden Pics

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Here are the terraces after I planted annuals and violas plus dug three clumps out of the first low part and put in the dahlias and Salvia HOT LIPS.

{{gwi:682901}}

Roses are starting to bloom at the end there.

{{gwi:682902}}

Looking towards my patio.

{{gwi:682903}}

Here is a closeup where you can see the clump of dahlias and right in the middle is the salvia.

{{gwi:682904}}

And looking the other way.

{{gwi:682905}}

Comments (15)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I like the contrast between the color on the right and the green/gray on the left of the stairs. What are those plants?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Which plants? There are tons of plants.

13 years ago

The third picture, the rounded mounds on the right side of the stairs... Are they shrubs or large clumps of herbs like rosemary or semething like that?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are shrubs. Some Azeales and some spireas.

13 years ago

Ah.. I would love to grow Azealas - and rhodos - here but they die instantly! :-(

• memo3
    13 years ago

Just beautiful, Rita. I really admire all that you have accomplished with your sloping yard. I know gardening on a hill is a real challenge but you sure make it look easy. The flowers are beautiful and all the stone work really looks nice.

MeMo

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gardening in that terrace garden is easy. It's all level. Four different levels but they are level :-)) The hard part was planting shrubs and the crabapple tree on that slope off my patio that is in the backround of the one picture. It was difficult to stand there, much less plant. But it looks like a woodland border now and I call it Azealea Hill. That because there are many azealea shrubs in the hill.

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Rita, that looks beautiful! Nice job. I have a terraced bed, but mine is only 2 walls
    Tammy

• Cher
    13 years ago

Looks lovely. You really did a great job on this area.
    Cher

• catscottage
    13 years ago

Very beautiful.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Oh, I love the hot colors! Ole!

Viva las colores!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    I love the new plants making a contrast to just the daylilies. They all look beautiful! Is that your hot lips salvia? It looks like mine, so I assume it is.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay, it is my HOT LIPS Salvia. I had it sitting on my back stoop for awhile but figgured it should be in ground. Still don't know if it will overwinter.

This spring I realized that those clumps of daylilies I had in that first terrace, the skinny one, didn't look that great. I mean the daylilies were healthy, just the garden needed more color and texture in that first terreace. The best it ever looked was the first year when those daylily clumps were very small and I had mostly annuals there. So I took out the middle three clumps, put the salvia front and center and the two clumps of dahlias around. It looks much better to me. Before had too many strappy leaves, after better texture and color.

Masses of strappy leaves are fine in a totally daylily bed or section. These terraces were always planned as a gardenbed with daylilies in them rather than a daylily gardenbed. Like the backyard plateau is a daylily gardenbed. Just a mass of daylilies. Looks great too, even looks good not in bloom.

• scottyboipdx
    13 years ago

Looks so great...love the color of the brick! I adore your 'Hot Lips'. I never used to think much of it until I saw it in a neighbors garden, full-grown, and WOW it's amazing! Yours many even be a little better...it looks more compact...theirs was a bit spindly...then again, it was the end of the season. Any way...nice job!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine is new, I bought at the nursery this spring. Plus I really don't know that it will come back next year. Might not be hardy enough.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction