Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Spring at my home * lots of Photos *

gottagarden
15 years ago

OK - here are some photos of my gardens in the spring, so you will not think I am slacking ;-)

First comes the tulip parade:

{{gwi:683394}}

By late May the alliums dominate and iris are just starting

{{gwi:683396}}

I love iris!

{{gwi:683398}}

A great iris combination with montana bluet - same shades at same time

{{gwi:683399}}

A dwarf early iris with tulips in background

{{gwi:683401}}

The tree peony!

{{gwi:683403}}

I love these little self-seeders!

{{gwi:683405}}

Shady Lady:

{{gwi:683407}}

Shade bed:

{{gwi:683409}}

The full extent of the dandelion dominance:

{{gwi:683410}}

Lilacs and dd are growing together - I planted when I was pregnant with her.

{{gwi:683411}}

These flowering cherries are still young, but I take parental pride in their springtime glory.

{{gwi:683412}}

And the geese at the pond:

{{gwi:683413}}

Coming soon - peonies, iris, and delphinium!

Comments (33)

• msscarlet
    15 years ago

Gottagarden, your gardens are fabulous! I love looking at pics of them. I really need to get spring bulbs in. Most of my stuff is summer and fall...I buy the darn bulbs and never put them in! Looking at your tulips and iris I can kick myself for not getting to them last fall! Are your iris fragrant?

• DYH
    15 years ago

So inspiring! I covet those alliums. Your garden tour is fabulous. Color combos are perfect.

Cameron

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Oh, how lovely. So Spring. So fresh.

I admit I've had my fill of Canadian geese but the goslings still get to me. ;)

Libby

• alisande
    15 years ago

Fabulous flowers!! And your daughter and the cat are beautiful, too.

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

Everything is so beautiful - it's impossible to pick a favorite. But I love the picture of the lilacs and your daughter. It looks so joyous. Oh to be a child again and capture the joy of going barefoot in the spring.

Mary

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Hang on a minute while I catch my breath.....gorgeous, breath taking, beautiful. The one with your little angel sitting in a sea of yellow is so endearing, I'm sending a great big hug her way.
    Annette

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    15 years ago

I love the tulips. Sadly, too many deer here to attempt them.

And funny what a difference a few hundred miles make - here in NW New Jersey, my mountain bluet just started blooming yesterday. (And then got promptly chomped by a bunny, but that's a whole different issue.)

I have a question for you - how do you know what cultivar to select - your colors blend so beautifully. I always find that is so difficult since nurseries never carry all the other plants I'm growing in an area.

• georich5
    15 years ago

Always a pleasure to see your posts. Even my DH knows you by your pics. And the infamous "Red bed"! Your Spring delight makes winter just a memory! I have some of my lilacs in a vase in the kitchen and I can smell them clear over here on the other side of the house. Love it, love it.

Thanks for the great pics,
    georgeanne

• karendee
    15 years ago

That is beautiful!! I am jealous!

I need to plant some allium!
    karen

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Gottagarden - just love every picture but the best is of your little girl in the sea of yellow - how precious is that. I do envy your ability to have so many lilacs but I have finally learned to accept that different parts of the country can grow something different so while I will admire your lilacs I am content to know that the gardenias are just beginning to open here.

Thank you so much for sharing your piece of heaven - I am looking forward to seeing more....

Lynne

• granite
    15 years ago

Beautiful gardens, great pictures, lovely daughter...nice job all around. Thanks for sharing

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

GG as always your gardens are beautiful! I always enjoy seeing pictures of the beauty you have planted in your creative gardens.

FlowerLady

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

It's all too beautiful. Everything is so well planned and coordinated. I look forward to seeing more as summer comes on.

I was so consumed with envy I had to go outside and cut a handful of gardenias to bring inside to console myself.
    ; )

Nell

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

What an amazing (I use that word allot on this forum) garden you have. Like Cameron, I covet thos alliums. Your iris picture (3rd down) looks like a painting. Fabulous job you have done. I always look forward to seeing your pictures.
    Vikki

• sushi_deluxe
    15 years ago

So beautiful! I am planning to plant an allium grove this fall. Do you mind if I ask which cultivar those are?

Thanks!
    Rachel

• zerro2b
    15 years ago

Just beautiful. When's it open for tours *grin. You've got a lot of work into your lovely garden and it shows. Thanks for sharing with us.

• moonphase
    15 years ago

Brenda,I have to apologize to you .When I posted that I never meant to offend you,just maybe trying to hurry you up with your posting some photos.You have the greatest garden combinations I have ever seen and I try to do some of your combos.I am having alot of health problems so am just gonna have to enjoy what I have sowed last couple of years and the photos everyone post...I had 5 kids in sports at one time,2 played year round for 8 yrs.so I can relate.I only did vege gardens back in those day,so I can't even imagine kids,house,hubby and still have the gardens you have.Very inspirational to me.Your blooms are lovely.I keep forgetting you are in a zome that runs way behind hot,humid Ga.lol We all know you don't have time to slack any way..sorry;-(
    moonphase

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh moonphase, don't worry, I wasn't upset, just busy. Spring is always such a crazy time of year.

The alliums are 'purple sensation'. I got them on clearance at a big box store and stocked up.

MsScarlet, don't worry about spring bulbs, they are the last thing I planted. I wait until a bed has settled for a few years before I start tucking in bulbs. I've lost too many of them due to chopping through with the shovel when they are dormant.

The german bearded iris are all deliciously fragrant. The dwarf and mid-sized iris have only a faint scent.

I don't choose my color matches at the nursery. I grow things for a couple of years, notice their color and bloom time, and move accordingly. Many times I move things in bloom so I don't forget where I want to put it. Not optimal, but at least it gets done.

Thanks for looking!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Great, great garden.

That's a great tip about moving while in bloom. I let my nursery row bloom so I would know the colors and waited until they were finished, failed to mark clearly and will just have to take my chances by looking at photos. It's a row of iris, so no clue by leaf for me.

Your color combos are perfect.

Last buy not least, how wonderful to measure plantings by your beautiful daughter's age. She is precious.

Seeing pictures like these aren't good for me. Every year, I say no more; I am cutting back. Then I see everyone's pics and think I have to have that! Now....its your alliums!

• Annie
    15 years ago

I keep coming back and keep coming back to look at your pictures. Beautiful in every way.
    What a panorama. I love your garden with the alliums and irises. Gorgeousness. Very cottagey. :)
    Wait! Was that a fairy I saw sitting on a flower petal?

Your daughter looks like me when I was a little girl, I kid you not. I had hair just like that and her face....it is amazing! I keep looking at her and remembering myself at that age...sitting in a field of dandelions, content to be by myself for hours making up pretend-like-stories about fairies and things, often accompanied by my big fluffy yellow cat, "Nana", or my collie dog, "Mike", or maybe one of the farm animals, like "Bitty", my pet Bantam rooster, or my pet Mallard duck, "Slobbers".

Love it all.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Annie

• User
    15 years ago

So gorgeous...all of it. I love your stone paths and the tulips. I am a sucker for blues and you have the best. c

• blondiesc
    15 years ago

My favorite --- the aliums and iris. I better go and wipe the drool from my chin.

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

Such beautiful combinations - I too have been looking forward to photos of your garden this year.

• flowermum
    15 years ago

I always enjoy your pictures and your gardens could give Martha Stewart a run for her money. LOL
    : )

Thanks for sharing!

• fammsimm
    15 years ago

You not only have gorgeous flower beds but they're also situated on a wonderful piece of property.

Great, great eye candy!! Purple is one of my favorite colors.

Marilyn

• lindakimy
    15 years ago

Stunning, as always! What a joy it must be to spend time in your gardens.

Is there a trick to growing alliums? I, too, planted a lot of those "purple sensations" and they are absolutely stunted! They are only 6-8 inches tall and the globes are very, very pale in color - light mauve, I'd call it. Doesn't matter, really, since none are visible unless you crawl to the back of the beds and search! Where do you suppose I went wrong?

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I suspect your alliums were 'christophii' which are pale purple and very short.

These PS are so easy, there is one caution though. The foliage starts yellowing while the plant is in bloom. So plant something mid height in front of it to hide the yellow legs.

• lindakimy
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answer. There was one package of bulbs that were 'christophii' but the rest were labeled purple sensation. Not the first time labels have not been accurate, I guess.

That does encourage me to try again next year. I just love the look of yours!

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

Gorgeous pics, as always!!!

At least one picture I can console myself - I have a similar combo of purple iris and centaurea montana! I've been considering planting some alliums nearby - you may have cemented that decision. ;)

Love, love, love the tree peony...

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Really pretty! I like the way you have lined the path with the tulips. It just shouts spring is here! : )

Diana

• fnboyd
    15 years ago

Your gardens are just beautiful. I just can't stop looking at those Allium and Iris together.

Do by chance know the names of the Iris in the first two pictures?

faye

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure of the name of the first blue iris, I paired it with the allium because it blooms earlier than most other iris. I did know the names at one time, but the labels have been lost.

The second iris is 'santa cruz', a reblooming intermediate type that blooms earlier than the bearded.

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

Your garden is so absolutely beautiful! Oh how I wish I had started gardening earlier in life! I can only imagine what your beautiful little eden will look like when you're my age. Very, very nice indeed!

Sponsored