Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2b_gw

dandelion digger

flora2b
12 years ago

I know this a little off topic....but I know most of you have them......dandelions that is!

I posted in the tool forum, but not much response to date.

What do you use to dig dandelions?

I was wondering about the fiskars 3 prong weeder but want a quality product.

{{gwi:683840}}

Anyone with any experience with standup tools for dandelion patrol?

Thanks,

Flora

Comments (15)

• louisianagal
    12 years ago

I don't have a tool that I use standing up, but I have a little weeder tool whose working end looks like a "v" and you insert that v under the middle of the week and then you use at a lever and pull the weed up. I sit on a small low stool to do this. Until you can get to the weed, if you can just pull off the flower when it is still young and yellow, you will cut down on the seed production too.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Did you know that dandelions are aphid magnets? I always leave one or two and keep the blooms picked off.
    Because I mulch I get very few of them.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I have a tool very similar to that that I got from the Vermont Country store, and it is fantastic for pulling dandelions while standing. Any deep rooted plant (Wind onionns?) that might otherwise break off comes up, root and all. It is a very old design that has not been improved. Good tool.
    kay

• mytime
    12 years ago

Although I haven't used the Fiskars weeder, I used a similar type (Hound Dog, maybe&) and found it useless. It worked in very loose soil, or with short roots. Unfortunately, in those conditions I don't need a weeder, LOL. I need something for long roots in our naturally dense soil. The Claw works much better in our conditions.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

My uncle has/had a similar tool and it looked as if it worked well for him (he as back problems).

Personally, I get out there with a retired kitchen knife to dig them out. Works great for all sorts of weeds!
    CMK

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I have a dandelion tool that I bought from home depot, works great. It also works great to seperate daylily clumps when I need to divide. Plus I do have an old and large used to be kitchen knife that works fine to dig dandelions, just slice underground.

• ianna
    12 years ago

I don't have the fiskars one but I do have one of the original weed clamping tools. It's a Canadian invention you know. It works well in loose soil but not in hardpack ones. However because dandelions are taprooted - I find that always a little piece of the root gets left behind and so will regrow. Instead, I have reverted to using my garden fork to loosen the soil around the weed and to pull out the weed entirely. I do find it satisfying when I could get out the entire plant.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I have 2 but like my long handled one that has metal prone at the end I had knee surgury years ago and was told not ever to bend and now with arthritis in my hands etc I like this one the best.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I bought a V type tool too, but have not been digging the dandelions in the "way back" which is fairly uncultivated. I've got a whole juicy bed of them, it's huge and they are the only thing growing in there...a friend is going to come and harvest the roots in the fall for drinking, and I'll use a few for making medicine.

• ianna
    12 years ago

interesting ggg. What does that medicine do. And what do you mean your friend will use it for drinking.

I just watched a show (Edible Gardening) in which the flower was dipped in a pancake batter and fried.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I had both knees operated on and have arthritis in several areas of my body. Ihave both a long hadled with forked end that I really like and also one like every has been discussing. Whatever mood I am in or body aches I use I like them both

• prairiegirlz5
    12 years ago

I have one (not Fiskars brand), love it! Gets out the whole taproot, and it is satisfying if you only have a few and can keep up with them.

One thing I have to say about Fiskars, they stand behind their tools with a lifetime warranty. I broke a small scissor, and emailed the Fiskars company with my complaint. They promptly asked me to send them a picture of the broken tool and a copy of the receipt. So I did, and they cheerfully sent me a replacement! I got it within the week, which was great because I was using them for floral design class. I was so impressed, I bought the ergonomic pruners too.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Ianna, my friend dries, roasts and grinds the roots for coffee. I steep some of the roots and dry some of the leaves as they are year 'round purgatives for liver toxins, (I take medications year 'round that can build up in the liver). In some climates you can get purgative greens all summer, but we can't here so drying them is very good. I like to steep the roots in Vodka - very nice added to hot chocolate in the winter and to iced coffee in the cooler weather. Taking medicines doesn't have to be hard work :)

• flora2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the great replies. I also have the v-shaped on your hands and knee kinda tool, but with 3 fields of dandelions waiting to reseed our lawn, I was hoping for a quicker, easier way.
    My neighbor used to make dandelion wine....I never had any but it was supposed to be real good.......probably good for you too.
    Flora

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I have one like that. It's all green, and I think "Octopus" was in the name. It's a great tool for pulling dandelions and some other lawn weeds too -- anything where you can find the crown/main stem. I was using it just this morning.