Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Maeve and the snake.

plantmaven
12 years ago

Yesterday Maeve showed her true toy fox terrier genes. She alerted us to a rat snake in the ground cover. We think he was heading for the baby cardinals, like that big one 4 or 5 years ago in the hanging basket of fern. That year it was heatbreaking to see the bumps of the birds in the snake as it crawled off.

Maybe I did not mention that the baby cardinals hatched Thursday.

"Rat snakes are not poisonous. They will bite when startled or threatened and the bite looks very much like a human bite on the skin. It lacks the two distinct fang marks of a poisonous snake. While it does hurt it is not going to make you sick. Just wash the area carefully with soap and water and watch for signs of infection as you would with any other wound." They do look very much like a copperheard, so I am told. I have never seen a copperhead.

Maeve weighs only 5.5 lbs and we were concerned about it hurting her.

I have sort of spooked myself, I think I will pick my feet off the patio, as it is dark out here.!

Comments (8)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

I do not particularly like snakes, but a rat snake is a pretty good snake if he leaves the birds alone and sticks to mice and my arch enemy the vole! I never mention a snake to my DH, since in his opinion, the only good one is a dead one.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Maeve is too brave for her own good. I just think she is adorable.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rita, She did not get near it, just "told" us it was there and it was coiled to strike. Maeve's momma is due to whelp another litter any minute. The lady said she was due on the 9th. Want me to reserve you one? hahahahaha
    I called her just to tell her what a joy Maeve is. She said I was the first person to ever do that. She thanked me for calling.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

If I was local I would go over and get one :-)) I am so taken by her. I just think she is the cutiest little thing. Plus I am always taken by her adventures that you post for us. Keep those Mauve stories and pictures comming!

Many years ago I had Dobermans and dearly loved those dogs. But now I am too old to care for a large dog and a small one with a big attitute sounds just about right.

• DYH
    12 years ago

Glad Maeve didn't get a snake bite, but it's great to have a snake alarm!

We had a ruckus here yesterday with a black snake in a Mockingbird nest. My husband got the snake out, but the babies fell out as the snake was getting around them.

No babies were killed since we got there in time. They were sturdy enough and fast runners, but not ready to fly.

I gently laid a towel over each one and then nudged them into a rounded, open plastic container. My husband put a paper towel over the top and gently dumped them back in the nest -- we didn't touch them with our bare hands.

One baby tumbled out again, but the momma bird is feeding it. However, on the ground, it is really in danger.

I'm very fond of the momma Mockingbird. She's been in my garden for a few years and follows me around all the time --even when I take a walk down our fence-lined neighborhood road. She's never been territorial with me, nor with Charm (when she was alive).

Cameron

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bet you really miss Charm. Have you gotten another dog?

Here Mockingbirds are normally a pain in the.... But the other day one was on the birdbath and did not chase off a little bird that landed beside it.

The cardinals have figured out we put seeds on a chair for them. They land on it and look to the patio. Like, ok where's the food.

Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That Maeve really is a sweetie, so smart and funny too. I hope those cardinal babies are okay.

• DYH
    12 years ago

Kathy - Thanks for asking.. I think about Charm everyday. I stopped gardening for months because it took so much for me to be in the garden without her. I'm now back into gardening again. I've not gotten another dog. If I did, it would be another greyhound. However, she was such a part of the family that while I'd like to have another dog, I'd hate to lose another one. It's just too difficult.

On a happy note, we took care of our son's Labradoodle puppy over the weekend. She's a real sweetie, but I was glad to hand her back to her "parents" when they returned from their trip! LOL

Yes, this Mockingbird is really a surprise to me with her pleasant personality. I joke about teaching her to talk! I grew up with pet birds and still have a 15 yo cockatiel...although, I refused to let anyone teach the pet birds to talk after having gone through a chatty bird when I was growing up. Nonstop talker.

Sponsored