Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

My Roses Have Never Grown Like This Before

organic_kitten
10 years ago

This cluster of Midnight Blue roses looks like a bouquet, but it is growing on the bush.

{{gwi:684492}}

Ad New Dawn has been such a bloomer...it looks like a California rose bush!

{{gwi:267779}}

kay

Comments (15)

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Those are both spectacular! I am jealous.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mandolls, don't be too jealous. I have got to begin deadheading that New Dawn, and it has almost unbelievable thorns. I'll have to get on a ladder, and If I fell in, they should just leave me there. But it has been so beautiful and the blooms are lovely, so I'll gear uop and start (but not today:

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

That "bouquet" is beautiful.
    Where do you get your plant tags? They look like what you would find at a botanical garden.

Good luck with that pruning. I don't have too many roses, but do have some shrub roses on the front slope. Whenever I prune them my neighbors undoubtedly know I'm pruning roses due to the foul language that comes from my slope! The roses always seem to win the battle!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, thyme2dig. My tags come from Oake's, And yes, they are a bit expensive, but it's for my garden (and the plants weren't exactly free either. I just like them.)
    kay

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

We have a red rose bush that blooms like your first picture,just need one stem to make a bouquet.

Where do you see plant tags,i don't see any!! I know my eyes are getting bad~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~but.
    Kathi

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Kay, when you say Oake's, is that just for their daylilies? I would pay for tags like that for many trees and shrubs in my garden. I've honestly never investigated options for tags, but was struck by the one in your photo. Whatever you are paying, they are worth it.

Kathi, in the first pic, upper right there is the edge of a tag.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, thyme2dig, the Oakes that sells daylilies. I love having the tags, because they never fade, and I don't forget the plant's name.

You can get any kind of name on the tag, it is created when you order it. I preferred the black background with white writing (engraved on the tag) but there is a white on dark green option as well.

Kathy, these bushes, Midnight blue, usually bloom in smaller clusters. this is a first for the bush.

Here is a picture of a Betty Ford daylily bloom with most of the tag visible, and more easily seen. The asterisk indicates that Betty Ford is a tet rather than a dip if I decide to do a little "pollen dabbing" (hybridizing).

{{gwi:684493}}

(It does need washed a bit:)) I have had some of these labels for five years, and they have not deteriorated any at all.
    kay

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Thanks,i saw that but didn't realize it was a tag.You gals have good eyes!! Yes they are very nice tags,as I got a better look at them on the lily picture.TFS
    Kathi

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Thanks Kay. I had gone to their website but it sounded like they only made them for varieties they carry, but I read closer and see that they'll make the tags for anything. I'm definitely going to look into these for some of my trees and shrubs.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Your roses are exceptionally beautiful. Yes, I would have thought "California roses" if you had not said they were not. Somebody wrote that if you garden in California it's like cheating ... LOL Please, I mean no offense to Californians! I enjoy the gardens immensely when visiting there.

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

Organic Kitten your roses are very inspirational for other cold zoners. Way to go!
    You fell *in* New Dawn. OUCH. Maybe you should wear a chainmail suit this time- just in case.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee, that is very high praise coming from you, and I thank you. I was like a kid at Christmas when the roses started blooming this year. To be able to sit and have the fragrance waft to me was so delightful.

lola-lemon, I can manage some of the weirdest accidents while gardening. From bumping and getting major bruising, to reaching for the roundup and dislodging a hoe such that the handle smacked me hard on the temple. Three weeks later, I still have a knot there. Guess I can't complain about being called Knothead, huh?

kay

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

New Dawn is breathtaking.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Love your pictures and the Midnight Blue rose is just gorgeous.

• CapeHeart
    10 years ago

gorgeous!!!! :)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions