Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msscarlet

Do you have a cute gardening shed?

msscarlet
15 years ago

I know over the years there have been posts like this. But when you search them you see that most of the pictures no longer exist :( I am planning on getting a shed this year and would like to see what others have done with theirs. Also, I have not made my mind up yet on style or material. Still debating the vinyl vs wood ones. Love the look of wood, but then you have some maintaining to do. Which do you have and what do you like or dislike about them?

Comments (26)

• pianolady007
    15 years ago

We have two wood sheds, with a few upgrades. I highly recommend adding simple skylights to any shed kit you might buy. They are actually translucent plastic roof vents that allow light in. Cheap and easy to install. I added trellis for plants, window boxes, large wrought iron door handles, and a fake window on the side just to jazz things up a bit. My neighbor wanted to get rid of some old brick, so I installed it as paving for a landing at the doors to the shed.

{{gwi:684596}}

My daughter and I had fun with the other shed, painting a mural on the end. She was about 10 at the time, and is very artistic. She did the branches and some of the flowers. I had to do the birds though. We used craft acrylics and a spray poly over the top. It's been 6 years and it still looks fine.

{{gwi:684597}}

{{gwi:684599}}

• pianolady007
    15 years ago

I forgot to add that we painted bees and ladybugs on the big shed the next year.

{{gwi:684600}}

• Redthistle
    15 years ago

I have a 10' x 10' garden shed that I built about 3 years ago with the help of a friend who is a contractor. We built it during his slow months (Jan/Feb) so he gave me a better price on his labor. I had no carpentry experience so it helped to have someone who knew what they were doing.

I looked at many sheds on-line before deciding on the design for my shed. I wanted lots of windows (6) and a steep roof.

The siding is wood and was left over from re-siding my house.--It's salvaged long-leaf pine. The windows came from the Habitat for Humanity store, and the door came from a vintage salvage place. I saved my money for over a year to buy the studs, paint, plywood, nails, and roofing materials.

It took three months of 8 hr. weekends to build it and an additional three months for me to paint it by myself.

I like wood siding but perhaps vinyl siding would be easier to maintain. I'm not sure.--I used what I had because it was free.

I'm very pleased with my shed, but it's still unfinished because I have not put the skirting around the bottom or added electricity. I also have a dancing froggy weather vane with a top-hat to add.

When I considered selling my house last year, one of the first things I did was to locate someone who would move my shed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shed & Garden Photos

• msscarlet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness! What adorable sheds! Pianolady, how wonderful for you to have a reminder of the good time you and your daughter had painting that fun shed! So cute and priceless because you and DD did it!

Redthistle. Wow, love your set up. The seed sack roll up shades are the perfect touch! Very sweet shed :)

Keep the pics coming! Love seeing how people use their creativity to make their sheds so personal! Also love that there are so many different designs to choose from. It makes it so hard to choose what I want!

• amare_al_giardino
    15 years ago

I don't have one yet personally, but I have a dream of owning one and found the one I want in a Southern Living Mag. a few years ago. The plans are still availble for purchase and dh and I both keep saying we need to get them purchased for "someday" but have yet to do so.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with.

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/landscape/article/0,28012,690530,00.html

• pianolady007
    15 years ago

This isn't my shed, but one I saw this one at an open house. The bottom story was storage, and the top story must have been a playhouse, I loved the balcony. It was so cute. I'll leave a link instead of a photo, as I don't want to hotlink from the realty's site.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:684591}}

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

Redthistle, that is an amazing shed! I just love it, so detailed and well constructed. I wouldn't leave that behind either.

Here is our shed / kids playhouse. It is their playhouse now, but when they have outgrown it (hopefully not for a long while) it will be my garden shed.

It's built on our gently sloping hillside, and you can see the big difference it made to add some plants and rocks to settle it into the landscape. It looked crooked before, even though DH used levels to prove it was not.
    {{gwi:684603}}

{{gwi:684604}}

• msscarlet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amare I LOVE that shed! How cute! I wonder how much that would be to construct!!! Love the cedar shingles and the dutch doors!

Gottagarden, your playhouse/shed is also awesome. I think I might be asking my kids if they were finished with it yet hahahahaha, either that or start moving a few garden tools in, then perhaps some bags of potting soil, a potting bench then...hehehehe

Pianolady that is a unique shed. Very cute but not sure how practical it would be for me as I might not fit up in the playhouse lol...

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    15 years ago

All of these sheds are so inspirational. Some day I will stop using a corner of my garage.

• friend
    15 years ago

here here on the garage a2z.. me too..

I have a shed - but it's WAAAAAAAAy in the back and it hold all our lawn tractor and other big stuff.. No room for me to put pots and trowels and such..

:)
    Gottagarden.. is there anythign you CAN'T DO??? jeez!! that playhouse is amazing..
    My shed is kinda like that too.. ezposed on one side.. i've been collecting bushes aroudn it to try to help that.. haha
    it's not as nice as yours

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Ms. Scarlet - you got some great responses here. Its gonna be difficult to pick one style.

Piano - your sheds are darling. I love your paint job.

Red Thistle - your shed is perfect ~ inside and out. I would't move and leave that shed either.

Gottagarden - Are those bowling balls you have around the flowerbed with the tall sunflowers? If there were ever anyone who could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear it would be you!!!
    Vikki

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Shortly after it was built.

{{gwi:684606}}

Libby

• blondiesc
    15 years ago

Great work and creativity everybody. Libby, I love the grey and white combination. Very nice!

• msscarlet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Libby very cute shed! I also like the gray and white. It looks very New Englandy. Love your poppies too!

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

What a great bunch of sheds. Each one is so creative and unique. Mine was an old farm building that is perfectly sited in my garden.

The link shows a thread I did on it with some before and afters. I have several quotes in the thread from the book "The Potting Shed" by Linda Joan Smith, which is a great book for inspiration.

Since the after photo is missing I'll post it here.

{{gwi:684607}}

I have recently acquired my old playhouse that was built by my grandpa and I plan to create a Secret Garden around it for my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter, so I'm getting lots of great ideas from you all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting shed

• Redthistle
    15 years ago

What a great bunch of sheds!--Each has it's own style and seems to fit in well with the yard I love garden sheds.

When I was looking to build my shed, I ran across the website below. Be sure to explore it fully. It has hundreds of shed photos from just about everywhere. You can also add a photo of your shed to the link.

Apparently, sheds are a big thing in England. Also, in England, some folks get an "allotment," which I think is a small piece of land that they are allowed to use for gardening. Some folks build their shed on their allotment so you may see mention of it.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheds from Around the World

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

What a great bunch of sheds...so creative. I'm adding mine.

{{gwi:684608}}

• MollyDog
    15 years ago

My husband built my garden house several years ago for my birthday...and I do realize how fortunate I am each day.

{{gwi:684609}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

• blondiesc
    15 years ago

I do, I do! Have a cute gardening shed that is. Hope I'm not too late to post. I've just figured out how to post photos. Just had the shed built last spring so the bed around it isn't really established yet, but it's getting there.

{{gwi:684610}}

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Am I the only one with an ugly duckling shed?
    This building was once the washhouse, smokehouse and fruit room for the farm, in three rooms behind the three doors.
    Now it's filled with years of memorabilia and my garden stuff.

{{gwi:684612}}

Nell

• blondiesc
    15 years ago

Nell, If the walls of your shed could talk ---- I bet those would be some great stories.

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

I don't have mine yet, but I'm definitely planning on the front porch like a few of the pictures. Dh also wants to have some photovoltaic shingles to allow for some lights.

• camaria
    15 years ago

We just finished building our 'Irish' shed. It's built using cordwood masonry (stacking firewood with bricks in between). It was a time consuming, all summer project, but it wasn't hard work (I'm pregnant and had a lot of fun building it) and I'm so happy to have a cute spot to store my garden tools!

{{gwi:302906}}

{{gwi:302909}}

{{gwi:684615}}

{{gwi:302914}}

Stain glass window is made out of coloured mason jars.

Love all the cool sheds in this thread! Some great ideas out there!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

camaria, you win hands down for originality! I have heard of the technique but have never actually seen anything built that way. I love the 'stained glass' window.

Cute just doesn't do it justice. It is much beyond cute.

• kasha77
    15 years ago

My shed is made out of block- I just love it!
    Kasha77
    {{gwi:534644}}

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I'm bringing this back up for the person who was asking about sheds today. Ours is in the process of being repaired, since we were not allowed to build a new one. It is not square or pretty, and has no windows but it is going to be sturdy. I'll take some pics when we get it painted.

Sue

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!