Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cast1_gw

I'm addicted to marigolds

CAST1
10 years ago

I'm addicted to marigolds. I find them beautiful and their scent is wonderful. I might be crazy but I love this simple garden flower.

Comments (13)

• luckygal
    10 years ago

What type of marigolds do you grow CAST1? Do you have any pics? I expect they do really well in your zone. I don't grow them from seed but often buy a flat or 2 as they are a very reliable flower. I have seeded calendula but I think marigolds are slower so don't seed them. There are so many different types now that I try to choose a different one every year.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

I love them too and cannot imagine my garden or summer without them. My favorite is petite yellow and I have a container of those to plant today. I like the quote by H.W. Beecher: "As for marigolds, poppies, hollyhocks, and sunflowers, we shall never have a garden without them."

• CAST1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Luckygal
    I have
    Crackerjack - African Marigold
    Cempazuchitl - This is the wild form of marigold found in Mexico
    Spun Gold - African Marigold
    Various types of French marigolds in different shades of orange and red.
    Harlequin Marigold

• CAST1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ plays in the dirt dirt
    I have never heard of petite yellow. Is it a good grower?

• CAST1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some French marigolds

• CAST1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the palm tree

• CAST1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cempazuchitl Marigold

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

CAST, you probably are familiar with petite yellow, perhaps by another name. I call it that because that was written on the seed packet. It's a French variety (Tagetes) and an excellent bloomer. It is compact, grows 10 - 12 inches tall and is covered in bright yellow blooms until frost. Sometimes the blooms are so profuse the stem will split but that doesn't stop this bloom machine --it just keeps on setting buds. I don't fertilize marigolds but the soil in my beds is good. I can send you seeds if you want some.

• CAST1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Plays in the dirt dirt,
    It sounds intersting ! I would love some seeds and in return I can send you some cempazuchitl seeds.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

I love marigolds. This is my 2nd spring in this house. I've never seen so many snails and slugs. They decimated my marigolds last year. Tried a few again this year and they've already been eaten. Tried everything, but nothing worked. So pretty.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

CAST ... yes, let's trade. I'll email you with info ...

sandi, I will send you some seeds, too ... don't think it's too late to sow them ... they will germinate quickly now that the temperatures have warmed up ... just post and let me know ...

• auntyara
    10 years ago

The petite yellows are my favorite too! They completely outshine all the others. IMHO. Mine look like tiny globe hedges when they hit their stride. I'm a dead header my self. lol.
    I plant them near pink petunias, and white alyssum. I know this sounds "bubble gum" to some, but they look so sweet together.
    :) Laura

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

plays in dirt dirt. I just sent you a message. Thank you so much. I would love to have some seeds.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths