Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

First Brug 5 buds - pic

Sandi_W
11 years ago

Three of the buds are visible. The other two are just forming on the top out of the pic. I've never grown brugs before so don't know how much longer before the largest bud blooms. The buds are growing really fast.

{{gwi:685230}}

Comments (19)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Yay! Can't wait!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

That will be a large flower when it opens.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Keep a close eye on it,the snails and slugs love them!!!
    Kathi

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kathi. There are HUGE snails around here (I've never seen them so big) and slugs. So far, they've only attacked the marigolds. And boy, have they!

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

It should open any day. That is a big bud! What color?

Watch for tomato worms, they can strip a brug almost over night.

My first one opened last week But so far that is the only one.

Kathy

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy, You had a brug and didn't post a pic? If you have a pic I'd love to see it. What color is yours? I had no idea tomato worms would be attracted to a brug. Mine is still potted and sitting not all that far from my tomatoes. Should I move it?
    I just went out and measured it...11", but 1" of that is the little squiggly things that have come out at the bottom. Mine is white.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I have 4 yellows and 1 pink and maybe a white. At a swap a fellow gave me what was supposed to be a pink and a white. The one labeled pink turned out to be yellow. Which is why I have 4.

This is from Nov. 2007.

{{gwi:685234}}

May 2009...same plant

{{gwi:489156}}

Pink May 2009

{{gwi:622227}}

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

The first pic. was 2008. I had just moved here in 07.
    Move it if you want. Just keep an eye out for tomato worms.

Tomato worms turn into hummingbird moths.

also, "you've got mail" from me. Let me know if you don't get it.

Kathy

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy, I love the pale yellow and pink. And I love the tree form of the yellow. I hope my white looks like that. It is gorgeous.

I saw my first hummingbird moth just a few years ago. It was on some LA iris growing in my pond. I admit I did a double-take. They are really strange looking. I had never heard of them. And I did not know they came from tomato worms.
    Here's a pic from yesterday. Hasn't changed too much today. A little longer and a little whiter.

{{gwi:685238}}

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I think it will open tomorrow or the next day. See the string like things and the bit of a "ruffle".

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do believe this is going to be yellow instead of white. She told me the only yellow they had was the golden which I didn't want. I hope my other one is white or pink.

Just took this pic.

{{gwi:685240}}

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just taken:

{{gwi:685242}}

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

How exciting!

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Mine opened and guess what....................it is not white either. Another yellow. LOL

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know you must be disappointed. Let's hope my small brug is actually white! Two weeks ago the small nursery where I bought mine had quite a few brugs left. I'm going to go by there next week and see if they have any blooming. If not, I'll ask them to call me when a white and a pink bloom so I'll know for sure what I'm getting.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

LOL! I walked over there this morning and it is pink! My sister told me yesterday it was yellow. So I am assuming it was not quite open and looked gold.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, lucky you! Let's see a pic please? I went to the nursery today and they still have several, but none blooming and they all look pretty rough so I didn't chance it.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

It was stormy yesterday. Better late than never.

{{gwi:685244}}

{{gwi:685246}}

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, Kathy. That is just gorgeous! I really have to have a pink. Thanks for posting the pic.

Sponsored