Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Making big changes in the garden ...

I've made a lot of changes in the garden and I thought a few of you might like to see some of them.

About the time the Central Texas Garden video was made I discovered the roses were infested with chilli thrips. Chilli thrips are a fairly recent invasive insect from south Asia. They are about one tenth of the size of flower thrips, thrive in hot climates, suck the juice out of leaves and flowers leaving them dry and burnt looking. It seems they may become quite a serious pest to food crops in the south as well as ornamental plants.

Not being willing to spray insecticides the discovery just reinforced what I was thinking of doing anyway because of the drought and ever increasing water restrictions. That is to cut down on the number of plants that need extra water (and work) and also in consideration of the age of this body. It's in good health, but having already spent 77 years on earth I realize it's not going to last forever. So out went 40 plus roses and other infested plants as well. They were passed on to a young man who came and dug them. I kept about ten rose varieties.

Strangely enough I'm not at all sad, but just happy to have enjoyed growing many varieties of roses for over 35 years. Roses were my favorite plants.

In their place I'm planting yuccas, agaves, ornamental grasses, and succulent/desert plants which will be less subject to this invasion and will definitely be more drought tolerant and easier care. The style will be more southwest cottage garden. It's a good thing I really like that family of plants and am still strong enough to enjoy doing the work to make the changes.

Have any of you had the need to make a drastic change in your gardens?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a post on Texas Gallery showing some of the changes ...

Comments (8)

• Annie
    10 years ago

Well,
    I like those plants too, Ragna. (May I call you Ragna?)
    I have Agave and lots of cacti and succulents. Also grasses and the like. I would totally go that way too if I wasn't so far north - too cold for them here in the winter. I have to haul them all into the greenhouse every fall. Ain't that a lot of fun??? Especially the Agaves - mean ole tangs. Zooks!

I do have a large Texas Red Yucca that I adore and it sits out all year round and does just fine. It's in a large pot resting inside the top of an old terra cotta sewer main pipe. The flowers and the sewer pipe are about the same color. I like it!
    I rather like a bit of "Tasteful" junk in my garden. :)

I completely know what you are talking about though. I came to the same conclusion about my garden. Sooner or later I won't be able to keep up with all these flowers. The weeding is already too much. So...I decided several years ago that was going to start planting lots of trees. All kinds of trees that can grow just fine without any help from me (thank you very much). By the time the trees get tall enough to make too much shade for flowers, I will likely be too crippled up to take care of them anymore any who...so I will just have to TRY to enjoy sitting in the shade of all those lovely trees and watch the birds

I would love to have the kind of garden you are planning - just have lots of large and small pots of agaves, yuccas, aloes, and such with just dirt paths and gravel in the garden (No LAWN). Pots of plants that like the hot sun and arid conditions around the patio area, with comfy chairs and a little table near my fat bellied Chiminia fire pot, and my beloved hanging chair hammock.

I could dig it!
    ~Annie

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I am cutting back fairly drastically on the iris I grow. They are beautiful, but a lot of work for a pretty short season. and I have too many, so I am trying to just keep the ones I really like and give away duplicates and close duplicates. I am growing more perennials and mulching heavily. Also, more shrubs.

I too am pushing the years, and I will eventually be unable to keep up with all the flowers. But the roses and many daylilies stay...but I will be doing away with all daylilies I don't love too. I have people waiting with hands out to take my rejects, so I don't feel bad about it.

kay

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Gardening in cactus country
    THOSE ARE STILL UGLY, Ragna.

That is a running joke between Ragna and I. I grew up in what is called the brush country part of South Texas. That means cactus, cactus, cactus, mesquite, ebony and hackberry. Did I mention cactus?

Love you my dear friend.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I almost bought some purple shamrock yesterday but thought maybe it would spread too much. It would be a great splash of color in certain spots. I like all your color combos.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

You certainly have made some wonderful lemonade from those lemons (in the form of chilli thrips) you were given! :) While I'm not familiar with those desert plants I think a 'southwest cottage' garden is a sensible idea for your climate and your garden is amazing! I especially like the bright blue trellis and matching larkspur. Love the lime green of the canna and yucca with the bright blue also!

I'm now 71 and decided 2 years ago to make changes in my garden that will make it easier to manage. It's not that I can't still garden, I'm just no longer willing to be tied to it constantly. I'm retired and don't want to put in 8 hour days on my garden. While I'm not planning to move yet I also know that there are many potential buyers who would prefer an easy care garden so I'm heading in that direction. Two years ago I began to practice 'tough love' with my plants and didn't winterize my roses. They came thru beautifully, in fact didn't have their usual infestation of aphids which may or may not be a coincidence. Last year I removed all the self-seeders (shastas, yarrow, and a few others) and had truckloads of mulch brought in. There are still some persistent weeds but it's easier to remove them now. I'm planning to use more shrubs which take up more space so will need fewer perennials. I've also had the fencing redone so only have a (relatively) small house yard and the horses can graze the outer house yard a few times a summer to keep the grass 'groomed'. The rest of the time it's a place for the Grands to play after I've collected the road apples for my compost!

Change is good, especially when it's for our enjoyment!

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Soon. Not yet, but soon. The water bills will decide when for me.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your responses.

Annie, with the acres you have what a wonderful plan to plant trees. As fun as it is, after a few years of delirious flower gardening it does seem we grow to appreciate trees more, deliciously green shady trees whose roots go deep to find water. It was recently discovered that they bring water up for other plants to use, too. Now that I don't need full sun for roses I've planted several smallerTexas native trees and more crape myrtles.

Kay, I'm with you on planting more shrubs. Kathy introduced me to the beautiful Canyon Creek Abelia. Abelias are one of our more drought tolerant shrubs. This cultivar has large panicles of flowers that look good as dried flowers too. I've planted several that she generously passed along.

Kathy, I'm laughing at the photo you posted to indicate your feeling about cactus ... HILARIOUS! Yes, we have this playful disagreement about the beauty of cactus and desert plants. I keep sending her email forwards with desert blooms slowly opening to music and all that, but she's not buying it. Kathy likes soft girlie flowers and I don't blame her a bit.

Schoolhouse, I haven't had the shamrock in the ground long enoug to see if it tends to take over, but in my climate I almost need plants that would in normal circumstances be considered invasive or they don't grow well. So we'll see how these do. The color is a nice contrast to light greens.

Luckygal, tough love is what I'll be practicing the next few years too. As long as the chilli thrips don't bother them I'll keep watering the bougainvilleas and the phlox because they offer so much color all season long They are in large containers so the water doesn't evaporate out into the bone dry ground making them fairly water friendly. And yes I too wonder how difficult an intensely landscaped house would be to sell. Anybody have experience in that area? How very wise of you to cut back on self seeders. As pretty as larkspurs are with their long season of bloom a lot of seedlings have to be pulled.

Hosenemesis, if it's not the water hose that'll get to you, it's the bill. With the drought the rates keep going up. The more water we use the more it costs per gallon. Ouch!

I remember my mother in law saying when I was a bride, "I run my household. I don't let the household run me." However much I love all aspects of gardening I'm loving cutting back on some of it so it doesn't run me.. Thanks for your ideas on how you're doing it. Much appreciation.

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Love your garden pictures. A southwest garden sound like
    a great idea. I love agaves, and there is such a big assortment of succulents
    out there. Looking forward to your new pictures..

Sponsored