Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhawes_gw

Foxgloves and poppies

jhawes
9 years ago

This space by my front door is usually dominated by several large butterfly bushes. At the beginning of the season I was really upset to find the harsh winter had nearly killed the butterfly bushes which had to slowly come back from ground level. The nice surprise was what happened when the foxgloves and poppies reseeded themselves more than before with the additional light and space. In about a week there will be night scented stock blooming and the whole space will smell amazing.

Comments (7)

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

looks beautiful!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Pretty color combination. I love Stock, it's such a fragrant flower, I see it at the greenhouses all the time. In past years I'd plant it amid the perennials or at the edges of the stone borders. Need to do that again. Thanks for sharing your pics.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

What is the best location for foxgloves? The locations I choose seem to be either too sunny or too shady.

• jhawes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've successfully grown foxgloves on the north, east and west side of my house in conditions that range from almost complete shade to 6-8 hours of sunlight. The only place I don't is the south side which gets blasted with full sun all day long (great for a cutting bed, but not for foxgloves). I think the most important thing is they need nutritious, well amended soil with good drainage and give them enough water so they never stay too dried out for too long. Seeds and seedlings need a little talc until they are off to a good start, but after that point they are pretty easy to care for. They also reseed themselves pretty readily and the randomness of that can really help develop the cottage garden look.

• jhawes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've successfully grown foxgloves on the north, east and west side of my house in conditions that range from almost complete shade to 6-8 hours of sunlight. The only place I don't is the south side which gets blasted with full sun all day long (great for a cutting bed, but not for foxgloves). I think the most important thing is they need nutritious, well amended soil with good drainage and give them enough water so they never stay too dried out for too long. Seeds and seedlings need a little talc until they are off to a good start, but after that point they are pretty easy to care for. They also reseed themselves pretty readily and the randomness of that can really help develop the cottage garden look.

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

So pretty !!!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Lovely pics! what kind of foxgloves are those?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living