Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxgloves and poppies

Posted by jhawes none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 0:33

This space by my front door is usually dominated by several large butterfly bushes. At the beginning of the season I was really upset to find the harsh winter had nearly killed the butterfly bushes which had to slowly come back from ground level. The nice surprise was what happened when the foxgloves and poppies reseeded themselves more than before with the additional light and space. In about a week there will be night scented stock blooming and the whole space will smell amazing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxgloves and poppies

looks beautiful!

o

Pretty color combination. I love Stock, it's such a fragrant flower, I see it at the greenhouses all the time. In past years I'd plant it amid the perennials or at the edges of the stone borders. Need to do that again. Thanks for sharing your pics.

o

What is the best location for foxgloves? The locations I choose seem to be either too sunny or too shady.

o

I've successfully grown foxgloves on the north, east and west side of my house in conditions that range from almost complete shade to 6-8 hours of sunlight. The only place I don't is the south side which gets blasted with full sun all day long (great for a cutting bed, but not for foxgloves). I think the most important thing is they need nutritious, well amended soil with good drainage and give them enough water so they never stay too dried out for too long. Seeds and seedlings need a little talc until they are off to a good start, but after that point they are pretty easy to care for. They also reseed themselves pretty readily and the randomness of that can really help develop the cottage garden look.

o

I've successfully grown foxgloves on the north, east and west side of my house in conditions that range from almost complete shade to 6-8 hours of sunlight. The only place I don't is the south side which gets blasted with full sun all day long (great for a cutting bed, but not for foxgloves). I think the most important thing is they need nutritious, well amended soil with good drainage and give them enough water so they never stay too dried out for too long. Seeds and seedlings need a little talc until they are off to a good start, but after that point they are pretty easy to care for. They also reseed themselves pretty readily and the randomness of that can really help develop the cottage garden look.

o

So pretty !!!

o

Lovely pics! what kind of foxgloves are those?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here