Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craziest thing: Tomatoes growing with my roses !

Posted by Cenepk10 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 1:08

Earlier this spring, I used my beautiful compost around all my new shrubs. While weeding, I discovered to my chagrin, it wasn't weeds growing around my Abraham Darby rose - BUT TOMATOES ! I couldn't figure it out ! I kept pulling them out- about 5 vines ! Today, while weeding, mowing, deadheading, shvitzing & plotting my strategies, - I noticed a tomato vine i missed had FRUIT ! God ! Let it please be an ugly ripe tomato ! I'm crazy about composting !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craziest thing: Tomatoes growing with my roses !

Hay! It's a bonus. what's not to love about that? I'm sure it hasn't hurt Abe in the lest.
kay

o

Hay! It's a bonus. what's not to love about that? I'm sure it hasn't hurt Abe in the lest.
kay

o

When tomatoes come up in my compost, I transplant them into the garden or large pots. They often turn out to be the best tomatoes and very hardy.

I have grown Super Sweet 100s and Juliet Tomatoes with my climbing roses. Doesn't hurt a thing and both seem to benefit from the crazy companionship. :)

~Annie

o

Well cool, Kitten & Annie ! Will let you know how they taste ! I'm excited !

o

I have a volunteer tomato not in with my roses but in my veggie garden. Can't even remember what I planted last year. I'd love to try a Kitchen Garden sometime and have rows of flowers and veggies together.

o

I have the same!! two tomatoes, and two squash or perhaps cucumber (when I bite the tendrils it tastes more cucumber!)

Interesting to watch, and I just let them roll. surely i have pulled out others i haven't recognized.

o

I have the same!! two tomatoes, and two squash or perhaps cucumber (when I bite the tendrils it tastes more cucumber!)

Interesting to watch, and I just let them roll. surely i have pulled out others i haven't recognized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here