Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

My cottage and it's gardens

So of course the images show only the best veiws. But I finally upload some pictures from this year to an on-line gallery. I tried to put them into chronological order, with the most recent taken today. Of course my blooms are later than a lot of yours, as (in my best Minnesotan accent) "I live so far nort when I go sout for the winter I go to Fargo"

I see a bar that looks like I can upload an image. But other than that bar I have forgotton what I knew about uploading images, so you will have to visit the link.

I love this view of my house, it is what you see as you come up the sidewalk from where the cars are parked.

Take a peak if you will

Jenny P

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenny Pat's garden

Comments (12)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Lovely blooms and I really like your bird feeding stations! The front of your house says: Friends Welcome!!!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! And I love your house!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Very, very pretty cottage and the gardens compliment it very nicely. Calamity is right, that porch really does call "Welcome".

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Lovely.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Love your house and I really enjoyed "strolling" through your garden.

Annette

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, what a lovely house and garden.

• DYH
    11 years ago

So beautiful! It's always amazing to me to see not only the accomplishments of gardeners, but the bloom time and vibrancy of the color displays.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Cameron

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all, this year has been challenging in my garden. After the mild winter, a number of perennials that usually do fine, died, weeds that usually die, didn't and are growing rampantly. All that stuff.

We are usually swarmed by mosquitos by this time of year. For some reason, there are NONE.....It's hard to believe, but I love it!

It looks pretty good now, still have to dig out, move around, mulch all the ongoing stuff. I have 8 local ladies coming saturday to visit my gardens and have no idea what to do. SO I am just pretending I am having company, making a Rhubarb crisp, with coffee, and tea.

Someone mentioned the birdfeeders, we have a LOT of them, and feed the birds daily. In fact as I type there are finches eating at the window about 3 feet away.

Every year I hope I can do some hard scaping, build up some beds, put up a fence between the yard and the gravel road, etc. But it seems those items never fit into the budget.

Jen

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Lovely! I am very inspired. I also lost some plants I didn't expect to and the weeds are rampant. I can't seem to keep on top of them. Lack of snow cover while made a good commute was not good for my plants. Have you had much rain this year?

What do you have planted in front of your pink roses? And it looks like you have some red lillies, something airy is planted with them? And what is the plant the butterfly and the hummingbird moth were feeding at?

Thanks for sharing,
    Jodi

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jodi, We are up about 300+ miles north west of the twin cities, and so far have missed out on all the hot weather. Yep we have had rain, it was averaging at least 1" a week, some weeks more.

In front of the roses is a sedum...I will have to look through my notes to find out what variety. I planted smack dab in the middle of the tulips there. I love the leaf color with the roses.

The red lilies have lady's mantle planted in front of them, I like the contrast in the colors. That is one of the beds that needs digging and refreshing...those lilies were planted in 2004 and are dieing out, used to be a nice big clump. I think I had 6 blooms in it this year.

The butterfly is feeding at a salvia.....ok digging out my notes.......hold on......that was planted 6 or 7 years ago......hmm actually planted in 2004 "May Night Salvia"

While at it that Sedum in front of the Rose planted last year (50% off at Linders in June...score!)"Xenox"

Thanks
    Jenny P

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Nice pictures! I especially love your iris. Nothing like getting through a northern winter to make you appreciate the spring blooms. And I agree, the red lilies and the lady's Mantle are a great combo. I have both and may shuffle some things around. I put in 6 Commander in Chief bulbs in 2008, this year I had over 50 blooming lilies, but its time to dig and divide.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank Mandolls
    I do love the iris, but what I don't love, especially those big hybrids ones, is that they always fall over! Unless I stake them, same with the delphiniums, thus my garden is always full of sticks and stakes holding things up.

This is also one of the reasons I love lilies, No staking! That commander in chief lily sounds good. I planted some red lily's 2 years ago, picked up on clearance somewhere, one pot grows to about 3' and blooms nicely, the other pot grows to 5 or 6 feet and blooms, both had the same label and both are a deep red. LOL

I think I need to get more lilies.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner