Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Wanna' see what I did today??

I had been wanting to get an obelisk for the back garden for a long time, to add some much needed height. Out and about plant shopping a few weeks ago I saw a metal one at a local nursery that I really liked. It was a little on the pricy side, but not terrible. But the question was if someone would come in and steal it some day. A very real possibility since there have been a number of break-ins and robberies around here lately. The idea of waking up one day and finding a pricy piece of garden decoration missing did not appeal to me... SO this is what I came up with instead:

{{gwi:685895}}

The branches (from the back trees) were used last year as a bean trellis in the back veggie bed. I took them out this spring to replace with sturdier and taller metal ones (to also block the view of the alley). I'm sure the look isn't for everybody, but I love the way it turned out!! Plus I saved some money that can now be spent on more plants ;-D

I had an extra packet of climbing 'Moonlight' nasturtiums, so planted those around the base. Now if only we could get some nice warm weather to get em' growing, LOL.

Thanks for looking ;-)

CMK

Comments (23)

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

It looks very nice and I bet you had fun making it too. If you get some warmer weather send it north too. My poor gardens are just sitting there pouting in the chilly soil.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

I like it. Good job. :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Love it, there's something to be said about using natural materials, it adds that bit of rustic charm to your garden.
    My gramps made a pergola out of tree limbs and branches, he covered it with climbing roses. I used to curl up on the little built in bench about half way along to read or just sit and smell the roses.

Annette

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Great idea! You can now pat yourself on the back for the creativity.

kathy

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

It suits your cottagey flower bed perfectly. Nice job.

• b2alicia
    12 years ago

Very clever!

Christin, what are those beautiful flowers behind your tower, to the right? Along the fence, the tall purple spires? Are they lupines? They're wonderful!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks much ;-)

-Annette, oh that sounds so charming. Wish I could do something similar but my skills are nowhere near good enough for that.

-Betty, you are right! Purple lupine. I used to have other colors a few years ago, but the purples seem to have taken over lately, lol. ;-)
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

CMK- I love it! If you're talking about the obelisks at FM, they're nice, but I think yours is much better. I've been looking for obelisks, too, but nothing seems to fit. I think your rustic obelisk is charming :)

Annette- I would love to see a pergola like that...do you have any pictures? A rose covered pergola would be beautiful and what a wonderful memory.

• greenhousekendra
    12 years ago

Looks great! You made it with USA products in the USA. Used recycled materials that serve a purpose and will be able to be recycled when its all done. You not only saved money, gas, transportation but made a great choice by not sending your money elsewhere and using materials that cannot be recycled.

I love being a gardner and lately I've also been using whats around me. You are very enterprising! Great job keep it up.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Lass, sorry no pics, I wish I had some. I went looking to see if I could find something similar, the closest I found is in the third row, third pic in with the pink flowers. Gramp's pergola was about 36 feet long and slightly S curved, similar to the pic in google images but gramp's pergola had more limbs in abstract angles on the sides, that, the sweet smelling roses and the flagstone made quite a sight.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images

• cziga
    12 years ago

I love it!! I love the natural look and it looks rustic without being messy (which is what my last attempt looked like, lol). There is a woman several streets away who has the only other unique garden in the area (most people seem to stick to Hostas and Evergreens) ... and she has quite a few rustic wooden pieces in her garden, very similar to what you did here. Every time I drive by, I admire them and decide to try something like that myself. I tried a small table last summer and it did end up looking "messy", but I have been wanting to try again and I love the idea of an obelisk. Who doesn't need an obelisk and height in the garden, and they can certainly get quite pricey in stores :)

What did you use to tie the branches together?

Original Author
    12 years ago

-LL, thanks! It was actually a obelisk at Mel's nursery (over the top in price on a lot of things). Maybe you and your nephew could make one of these for some more Sweet Lathys ;-)

Thank you Czigna!! I love the naturalistic look too. Online patterns for it said to use screws to hold the top (where the branches meet) together. I don't have an electric screwdriver (etc), so did it a little differently. My mom helped hold them in place while I first wrapped the top tightly together with string, elastic, and finally wire. I also used a lesser gauge wire to hold the small horizontal branches in place. Dug the ends into the ground a couple inches, just to give extra security against strong winds and such.
    Oh, you should try it!! It was more time consuming than difficult. If you do make one be sure to post pics too- I would love to see how yours turns out! What did you make your table out of?

-greenhousekendra, that is sure nice of you to say. I agree. It was $50 alone just to have the metal obelisk delivered from the nursery- ouch! I'm starting to get into making things for the garden out of old/recycled objects.

I was in need of an extra trellis for my gold hops vine, so yesterday I also made this from an old trellis the neighbors were throwing away and some extra pieces of wood I had:
    {{gwi:685896}}

Some of the wood was uneven/warped (plus I didn't measure anything) so it turned out to be a kind of modernistic-asymmetrical trellis, LOL.

These are some others I have made with scrap left over from making an arbor and some driftwood:
    {{gwi:685898}}

{{gwi:685901}}
    CMK

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Perfect country-cottage garden look! I want to wander through your garden and have you show me all of the wonderful plants you grow. That last photo of the columbines and geraniums? cascading to the ground is so lovely.
    Renee

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Do any of you ever look in on the Garden Junk Forum? - A lot of the stuff is not to my taste at all but there are some good ideas for recycling and repurposing too.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

CMK, beautiful job and beautiful garden! So many pretty areas.

Is that rhubarb I see in the 2nd to last photo? Last year we dug ours and gave it away to new homes to make way for the new driveway. I sure missed it this spring!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Christin, that looks great! And your garden looks wonderful. I love those iris with the barberry. What is the orange flower blooming to the left? Geum? How many plants is that? Great job!!!

• serenae
    12 years ago

I love this look! It is very difficult for some reason to find wooden trellises here, so I've been making all sorts of them out of twigs and sticks - even made an arbour! It's fun and suits a cottage garden a lot!

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I actually hate those formal metal obelisks they sell at the stores. What you have done is much much nicer!!

I trimmed quite a few lower branches from my cedar tree last year, and have them stored on the side of the yard waiting for me to build something. I dont think there is a straight branch among them, so whatever I end up with will be a little on the wild side. I need to finish getting everything in the ground first, but I am looking forward to the project.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

I love the rustic look and much prefer that over something store bought - you did a great job .....

Lynne

Original Author
    12 years ago

-Renee, yep! An heirloom columbine and Geranium macrorrhizum ;-)

-Mary Lu, that is indeed rhubarb. I have already made a few crisps from it this spring. Yum!

-Susan, correct! That is 'Fireball' Geum, one of the bigger cultivars. It is only one plant- looks like more since the stems on this fellow have a habit of leaning, lol.

-serenae, would love to see pics of the arbor you built sometime!!

-mandolls and Lynne, thank you! I was thinking the other day how much more personality this one has than the one at the store. Plus it seems to 'fit' better with the look of the garden.
    CMK

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    12 years ago

Looks fabulous! I've been thinking about making a vaguely similar trellis using grapevine I have yet to pull out of my Mom's neglected border. You've inspired me.

• cindysunshine
    12 years ago

Wonderful. I, too, love the natural look so English country garden in the best sense. Years ago I used to use some standard green garden stakes and make a tepee with 5 or so of the 6' ones and use grapevine cuttings to wind in and out and grew sweet peas in and around it, it worked well and looked pretty.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Real nice. Love the rustic look. So fab. You can build 2 more of your obelisks of different heights to enhance the look more.

I gather you must live near the beach as I see driftwoods in your garden scene.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner