Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lupine Advice?

Posted by krycek1984 6a/Cleveland (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 2:55

Hey all.

So, I tried some lupines this year. They did not do well. They were in full/part sun. I purchased two of them at Lowe's in a quart-sized pot and I also purchased two bare-root ones earlier this spring. Also, my soil is sandy/loamy (very close to the lake).

I'm pretty sure they got ate up by anthracnose! Each stem would come up, the the leaf cluster would shrivel up, and the stem got the "Shepard's crook". The adult leaves gradually got brown spots that eventually ruined the leaves.

I applied daconil, but it may have been too late. We'll see if the roots live through the winter.

Do any of you have any problems with anthracnose, or on growing lupines, in general? I have never seen that many here. Maybe it gets too warm and humid too early here in Cleveland? Thoughts?

The foxgloves are another story...they are going wild.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lupine Advice?

I just winter sowed my first this past winter and they are doing well, but in this area lupines are a very common wild flower, so they should thrive here. The only helpful thing I can offer is that I read that they have a large taproot and do better when started from seed as opposed to transplanted. They winter sowed beautifully. Maybe try that this winter?

o

Yes, I think I will sow some lupine seeds here soon. And i will apply daconil from the start since I know that the anthracnose is now in the soil.

We had quite a warm and humid spring so that may have been part of it. The bare root ones were doing well but I think the lowe's one i bought was already infected with the anthracnose or something.

I may just concentrate on foxgloves next year because man, those things are just going insane. Pics coming soon. They must like the sandy soil. Oddly enough they are in like full blown sun. they wilt during the day but other than that, they are perfect.

o

I have never had good luck with lupines and I totally adores them. My hot and dry conditions on the hilltop probably are a big part of it. But I am loving those tuti-fruiti ones and I'm going to try again. Sometimes I just think of these things are annuals or maybe very short lived perennials for a few years. Dianthus and snapdragons are like that - I have them a few years.

o

they like the conditions wet. These are hillside plants found all over the atlantic provinces in Canada. So cold wet fields. Just ape that condition and they would do well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here