Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Garden today

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

The roses on the fence are almost done, but the rest of the garden is in full bloom. Took a few photos today. This is the first year that I have not changed/moved/taken out/added something in this garden. Some areas still need some tweaking but it is about done.

Ignore the multicolored walls on the house. I had hoped to get that part of the house painted before the roses had their June flush. I really wanted to see what it would look like with the green vs. the pink siding. Oh well, maybe next year?

{{gwi:686090}}

{{gwi:686091}}

Comments (19)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Always enjoy looking at your garden. Your house would look pretty either pink or green.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

How lovely! I'd just love to walk around and look at each plant close-up - and smell the wonderful scents. TFS

Have you decided on a color for your house?

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Gezz, it is so beautiful. Especially that first picture. What a marvelous garden you have.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Beautyful!

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Your gardens look like they are loving the abundance of heat and humidity this summer. Lush and lovely gardens are plenty of distraction/inducement away from the chore of painting. I have had paint for our cabin sitting for a couple of weeks for me but have managed to weasle out of doing anything more then purchasing it so far. :-)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

schoolhouse and luckygal, yes we have the colors. We actually started the painting "saga" 2 years ago when we built our garage. That got painted that summer. Then last year we started on the house. Last year we got most of what can be seen from the street painted :-) now this year we need to get the back side (garden side) done. One problem with the colors is that I don't think they will look quite as nice when the garden room is in bloom. Most of the flowers in the garden room are pinks, reds, whites and blues. The colors for the house are green, yellow/tan and terracotta! Not sure how the terracotta will look with the flowers. Oh well, it does look nice on the garage and house though...
    {{gwi:686092}}
    newyorkrita, it doesn't compare to your gardens! You have such lovely terraces, and color! Our yard is completely flat which does not give nearly as much interest.

plantmaven, thank you. High praise coming from you!

freezengirl, love your name! Yes the heat and humidity has been bad for so early in the summer. But so far everything is doing well, although the blooms are not lasting as long as usual. We have been painting for 2 years, we are so ready to be done!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Green looks good with everything. Very pretty paint job, even more spectacular garden.
    Renee

• Cher
    12 years ago

Your gardens are lovely and the color combinations just as lovely.
    Cher

• rafor
    12 years ago

Love the colors! We are getting ready to repeat your house painting saga. I may get one side done this summer :) Seems it's the side the previous owners never got to :( One side a year sounds good! Are you in New England? At least that's what the stye of your house says to me.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Oh now I remember that garage! Followed the entire building and painting "saga", and I think those colors will be fine with the garden room. Elegant, but cottagey.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Marylu, your garden is a feast for the eyes, I think the color you have chosen will make a lovely backdrop for your garden room.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Love how the hedges and plants create a sort of hidden courtyard feel. Your roses are beautiful- mine are taking forever to snap out of it this year.
    Ps. I like that shade of green a lot. ;-) Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with us Mary Lu!
    CMK

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

I really love the colors, in fact my home in MN has the same colors :-) SW garden path colors chip I think.Our house needs a second coat of paint and the trim finished too, but we had to get to Alaska for my husbands work. I think the colors are lovely with the garden and it will look lovely year round.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the "yea" votes for our color selections everyone! It was difficult as schoolhouse can remember! It really was a "saga" as the main body of our house is brick and has some Victorian elements as well. So we needed to go with a minimum 3 color palette and wanted it to tie in with the brick. It was only after the colors were selected that I thought about the garden colors! :-( oh well. Thankfully I was able to get most of the fairly intricate detail painted last year and only have siding, doors and windows to paint this year. I keep telling myself that fall is a wonderful time of year to paint! :-)
    {{gwi:686094}}

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

MaryLu, Awesome shots as always! I just love your house and gardens.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    12 years ago

Your garden is so lush. It must be beautful to walk through.

Your house colors in the third photo reminds me of my sister's house. Hers is a Mission house fron 1915 and she had it painted in authentic colors from the period.
    I think it's quite lovely.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Here is a link to our home in rural MN with a very similar color scheme. My daughter took the pictures for us (last year)as we had to get to Alaska. Thank God she loves gardening and is caretaking our home for us. Hopefully I will be able to get back before it gets to cold so we can finish painting, walkways ect. I know I used Sherwin Williams paint though can't remember the names other then the color chip was called On the garden path. I wanted to do a Scandanavian color scheme but my DH freaked. I guess I will save that for the little cabin in AK. :-) At least I will be able to get it done before he comes home from work!

Here is a link that might be useful: MNHomeandGarden

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looking back over the reply posts, I realize that I did not respond to many of the individuals who posted.

Renee, thank you. I'm still not too sure about how the terra cotta will look. But am committed to the colors. It is a family joke that I would not plant any orange flowers in the garden room. Even a grandson, with help from his mother of course, picked an orange flower for the garden to give to me for mother's day. So I think you can understand my concern!

Cher, thank you. It took most of one whole winter to come up with the colors!

rafor, no we are in the mid-west, southern Wisconsin. And yes, one side a year sounds like a good idea. I just hope we can get done this year. But we nee to give the garage a 2nd coat as well, so not sure we can get totally done.

schoolhouse, elegant but cottagey...I like the sound of that, just what I was hoping to achieve!

Annette, thank you! I am hoping you are right! Fingers crossed.

CMK...that is exactly what we were striving for when we built the garden room. Many people do not even realize it is there. They comment on the "outside" gardens but have no idea the other exists! Hopefully your roses will soon be in full bloom as well.

thyme2dig, I like running around the yard snapping pictures. I usually take some almost every evening. With the event of digital cameras it is so much easier and so much cheaper. Especially as only 1 out 5-10 shots really turn out the way I hope.

a2zmom, our home was originally a schoolhouse that was built in 1868. So yes it too is an older home. The colors we used were from a historic color line from SW. When we purchased it 10 years ago there were no flowers or landscaping in the yard. So it has come a long way since then.

freezengirl, you are so lucky that you DD is able to caretake your home for you until you return. I would imagine that AK is quite a bit different than rural MN. I lived in Eau Claire, WI for 20 years so am somewhat familiar with your climate in MN. Yes, your colors are very similar to ours. We also used SW paints from the historic line. The yellow was Downing Straw and the rust was Rookwood Terracotta, however we customized the colors. The green was a color match to a color we had previously found. From your pictures it looks like you have a large private yard. Lovely.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Thank you. Large private yard for sure-five acres. When we bought the property it was covered entirely with popular/weeds/thistle and lots of junk. It makes me crazy that we work so hard, get things looking up to snuff and then end up moving about the time that things are really coming togather. I love your house, remember it from previous postings about choosing colors. The secret garden room you have developed is a stunner. I bet it never fails to thrill you to see peoples jaws drop when they see it for the first time. :-)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County