Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thelma123_gw

Russian Sage Problems

thelma123
13 years ago

My russian sage plants are turning white. I planted them about 2 weeks ago. After the first week, the leaves turned brown and crispy so I went back to the nursery and they said the plants were probably stressed. Since these were young plants, for me to give them more water than normal (since they don't require much water. Now that its week 2 they have lost their purple color (I have been giving them more water as instructed.). HELP! What should I do? This is my second attempt at trying to grow these beautiful flowers.

Comments (5)

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

I've found they prefer very well drained soils. My do well in the loamy sand I have in my yard. It's a hard time right now to transplant things due to the heat. I wonder if you planted them in a place with afternoon shade and then transplanted them in the fall, if it would be easier on the root systems to get started? Hope this helps.
    Pam

• ianna
    13 years ago

When you planted it, it suffered from root shock -- also called transplant shock. When they started to show brown leaves - it probably was already in recovery stage. You didn't mention the size of the plant, but I think it would have regenerated from near the base. When you went back and were advised to water them -- you probably overwatered them. First -- with any new plants, you have to ensure the plant does not dry out. That doesn't mean you need to water daily or in huge amount. It just means, don't let the soil dry out. Secondly, this particular plant needs good drainage and you will know if there is good drainage when you water and the water will disappear within a few seconds. If it pools and take longer than a minute, then you have a hardpack clay soil - which is unsuitable.

Next time over -- if you wish to get a new russian sage, my advise is first to water the plant well a day before transplanting. This strengthens the plant. Second dig the hole before planting. This way, you can easily slide out the plant from the pot and slide it into the hole. Disturb the roots as little as possible. Don't transplant in full sun. Best time is either early morning or late afernoon when the sun is cool. Water but don't over water. In the first season, don't let the plant dry out.

Also, make sure your soil, if it is clay, or sandy, is ameneded by compost.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I've seen them growing well in one location - on a slight slope in a slightly shady area where they get AM sun and rest of the day shade here. They are beautiful and blooming now.

• ianna
    13 years ago

they are also good in full sun where I have mine. I've about 3 large ones and there are many seedlings that germinated on their own.

• cherry67
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I'm having the same problem with my Russian Sage(they are still in pots awaiting planting) and was wondering what ever became of your plants? I had this problem a few weeks ago with some Russian Sage that I bought, I returned them and now their replacements are doing the same thing. :(

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?