Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

ggg

plantmaven
13 years ago

I said I would tell you how long the yarrows bloomed. They are still blooming. And there are a few buds yet to bloom. They are flopped on the ground, so look a bit ratty.

I have never cut them back early to try to keep them from falling over. (like I do mums) Does anyone know if that will help? They have never stood upright like the yellows.

k

Comments (9)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Thanks!
    My neighbor has some yellow in very well draining raised beds and it's awesome! Beautiful.
    Mine is all washed out now, but it has been an odd yarrow year. The plain white took it's time (is just finishing bloom) and the cherise type started from seed has only grown 3" tall, has teensy flowers and is hot pink/purple (this is it's 5th year and it's never been so teeny before.

Odd!

• gldno1
    13 years ago

kathy, my sister swears by cutting back all tall floppy perennials early in the season. I know it must delay early bloom, but at least there is no flopping!

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Interesting - I cut back mums and asters of course and also my tall phlox. I was thinking I should have done the russian sage - never thought about yarrow. I only have the pink and mine is really not very floppy - perhaps a little toward the end.

I also have the perennial sweet pea that blooms in September, Lathyrus, and the variagated green and yellow artemesia 'limelight' that is rather thuglike but does well with keeping cut back.

Never thought about yarrow but I will next year.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Cindy- Do you have pictures or more information about the perennial sweet pea? I have never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

If you cut your yarrow back by half, you may be able to get a second bloom out of it. Good luck,
    -Sprout

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Rita I did some searches and it is lespedeza - geez I'm losing it got the 'l' words mixed up - common name is perennial bush clover. But I do keep it pinched back until early July - it stays better managed.

Love it - fabulous with asters in those purples and periwinkles and looks so pretty with the morning dew when the light changes at that time of year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:686588}}

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, I have the perennial sweet pea. I'm trying to get rid of it. I planted it near my climbing roses and it's all in them now. HORRIBLE thing for me in a smaller front yard (it really needs some space to grow and look gorgeous), and it never flowers.
    There is one (the one I got my seeds from) on a weedy, forgotten hillside out the front of an apartment building which is spectacular here in spring. Mine, it just takes over everything and strangles it, and makes a huge long and thick tangle mess.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Oh, I had THAT and got rid of it. Grows too big. I thought there would be a sweet pea vine that was perennial. I guess there isn't . No wonder I never heard of it.

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

I have had a perennial sweet pea vine. It does produce an abundant amount of seed, so there get to be lots of it if you let the seed pods pop open. You can either give it a trellis to grow up or let it "wander" on the ground.

I usually collected seed in the fall and have given lots away. My sister now has it growing all along her chain link fence. I did end up removing it from my garden as it was too prolific. But it bloomed from mid-summer to fall with a very pretty soft pink color.

I have found the the root system gets quite large. It does not like being moved. Rather than moving, it is better to plant the seeds and start a new plant.

Sponsored