Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Is there a yellow daisy?

pippi21
12 years ago

On Thursday, we drove up to Hershey, Pa to put flowers on our in-laws gravesite as it would have marked their 77th. wedding anniversary had they been living now. I went into a local grocery store to purchase some fresh cut flowers. The first ones I spied caught our eyes and we were so taken back by the color and the cheerfulness. They were a mixture of the regular white daisies and it also had yellow daisies with a green center(eye). Could the yellow daisies have been Irish eyes Rudbeckia instead of daisies, or is there a new daisy out there that I'm not familiar with. The entire bunch was only $7.99 and they were absolutely breathtaking. The stems were thick and tough to cut..the daisies that I've always raised never had that thick stems. Any thoughts on this puzzle? Could they have indeed by Irish Eyes rudbeckia? Are their stems thick?

Comments (12)

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

I have banana cream, a yellow daisy. It is more of a butter cream yellow. I think it has a yellow center, though. So, you might have had an Irish Eyes, but there are new yellow daisies.

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

The rudbeckia typically have thick stems. I have a golden marguerite daisy in my yard this year. It's an annual. I believe the name is Butterfly....very pretty, but doesn't have a green eye.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Anthemis tinctoria Golden Marguerite/Dyer's Chamomile is a hardy and pleasant daisy-like perennial and it makes lots and lots of seeds. It bloomed its first year for me and looked fantastic. Is there an annual version?

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm thinking the yellow flowers were Irish Eyes too. I just remembered I kept the card that was attached to the bouquet of flowers. It's in the trunk..will go get it. Well, I was hoping for a clue or maybe it told what kind of flowers they were. Here's what the card reads: A portion of the proceeds will go to the Alex's lemonade Stand Foundation for the cure of pediatric cancer. For more information on this cause, please go to www.alexslemonade.org. I'm glad I chose those flowers for many reasons.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had googled Irish Eyes Rudbeckia and it looked exactly like the flower in question. Curiosity got to me and I called up to the store in Pa. and the florist lady confirmed that the were what I thought. She also said there were some that had Fuji mums aka spider mums in them, I know a spider mum when I see it and I know it wasn't that flower.

She said the grower choses the choices for the cut flower bundles. Alexslemonde.org doesn't have any say so on choice of the flower selection. So now we know! I've got to have some of those Irish Eyes for wintersowing in 2012!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Pippi21, I didn't WS any 'Irish Eyes' this past winter but I did start them from seed inside under lights. They were phemonenal. One of the easier plants to start from seed and did so well with moving into a larger pot and then finally into the garden. I can't believe how big they are already and I'm pretty sure if I look closely at them they may bloom this year. I would imagine WS would work well with them.

• adamark
    12 years ago

Pic taken yesterday, winter sowed 2010, didn't bloom last year, started blooming a couple of days ego, they are already spectacular

{{gwi:686832}}

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

pippi21 - my 'Irish Eyes' rudbeckia (WS 2010) are starting to bloom so I expect I'll have seeds to trade later this year. They grew to a nice size last year but didn't bloom so I'm guessing they're one of the plant types that blooms the second year from WS seeds. I can send you some seeds along with the red lupine seeds you wanted. As soon as a few of the blooms open all the way I'll take pictures to post.

adamark - sure hope mine look as spectacular as yours!!!

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What about if you sowed them this Fall, do you think they would bloom the next Spring?(2012).

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

They're on my list of seeds that don't need cold stratification so I don't see why they wouldn't bloom next year if you summer sowed them and planted them out in the fall. I picked up commercial (Burpee) seeds this year at the job lots store--surprised me to see such a popular new cultivar on the same rack with all the regular, tried-and-true perennial seed types.

• HU-153876801
    3 years ago

I purchased yellow daisy plant but this year it blooms white??

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I suggest you start a new post with your enquiry and include photographs. This thread is 9 years old.

‘Daisy’ describes a flower shape, not a particular species, so it’s not possible to know what plant you have without a picture. There are hundred and hundreds of different plants which could be described as daisies.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting