Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindysunshine_gw

Butterfly Garden This Morning

cindysunshine
11 years ago

I always called this the Butterfly Border as given a chance I made sure the flutterbys and hummers were invited. It does just shake with life. I love those annual rudbeckia hirta they come in many shapes but they are compact and ao much less invasive than the perennial ones self sowing, too. I am getting a new finial on my obelisk trellis I miss it! Finally rotted away after 15 years. Makes me smile.

{{gwi:686860}}

{{gwi:686862}}

Comments (19)

• scully931
    11 years ago

So many colors and such a nice setting! Thanks for sharing. :)

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Oh, it is so pretty. I love it.

• DYH
    11 years ago

That's a huge bloom on the rudbeckia! Are you growing a vine on your obelisk?

Cameron

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes those are a couple clematis on the trellis. Years ago it was utterly spectacular and then I spent many years working in another state and the gardens declined substantially. They are coming back I think by next year it will be wonderful show again.

That is I'm pretty sure rudbeckia hirta "Indian Summer" I ordered seed from Johnny's a few years ago. They pop up here are there and are easy to recognize with their fuzzy leaves. It is compact and long blooming. Luv it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Summer

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a few more shots in that border from this spring. Notice in the one the large sage plant in the front corner it's such a nice corner plant the takes th abuse of getting knocked by the hose and I love sage butter on ravioli. ;)
    {{gwi:686864}}

{{gwi:686865}}

{{gwi:686868}}

{{gwi:686869}}

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Your border us truly lovely. The sage plant looks very healthy.

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much. I built the gardens 20 years ago and really was away from them for 7 years or so. It is the 2nd summer since I've been back and they are beginning to get back. Parts of it is so overgrown and the rampant things took over from the less aggressive. I took out so much phlox and have been replanting true lilies which I really missed.

The day lilies and Siberian iris very badly need to be divided. I am determined to start doing some of that after they finish blooming. It is going to take a couple years to get to what needs it.

We live out in the country with 150 acres of land 5 or so in various degrees of cultivation. It is a lot to take care of I wish I could get it to about 1/3 the size it is but so far I'm trying to just reclaim it.

So many flowers and combinations bloom and are so pretty. We live out by ourselves and while my friends do stop by so much beauty doesn't get seen by very many humans anyway. The wildlife and me and my husband and little shih tzu and multiple cats enjoy it a lot, though.. Thank you for sharing it with me. :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Very pretty cottage garden.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Wow, all so pretty!

• silvergirl426_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous peonies. I love them so much!
    lucia

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

I love your garden. It is beautiful! I am in need of a trellis and your obelisk trellis is exactly what I would like. Where did you get it? I bet it was expensive - the good quality, sturdy ones always are... Love it!

Carol

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got that trellis a long time ago probably 20 years and except for the finial which has to be replaced it is as sturdy as the day I put it in. I love the aged copper look.

I paid a reasonable amount for it probably $200-$250 or something. I think I got it from Gardeners Supply at the time.

I had just created that garden a big expanse of improved dirt with the winding large path thru it and the trellis arrived and I proudly plunked it where I wanted it set in. The carpenters that were there at the time absolutely laughed at me it did look silly in that big empty bed in the middle of no place.

I told them at the time they had no vision. LOL. I love it there.

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

Perfection!

• flowermum
    11 years ago

Very beautiful!

• bellarosa
    11 years ago

Cindy,

You have such a beautiful garden! Thanks for sharing your pics. What is the name of the plant on the far right, in your first pic? It looks like a butterfly bush. Is it and if so, what kind is it?

Bellarosa

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. Yes indeed that is a buddlea and it has been there a long time I think it might be Nanjo Blue. Buddlea grow so well here and aren't bothered by the Japanese beetles.

• tussiemussies
    11 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful garden!

• onederw
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely, Cindy, and congrats on battling back the "jungle" and reclaiming your garden! A question about the first photo--what are the humongous white/ivory upfacing flowers in the back of the photo, and the bend in the path? Are those lilies? Wow!!

Kay

• cindysunshine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, that lily is a beauty! I planted them a couple years ago and they have the most amazing stout stalks that hold all those flowers, and beauitful foliage. I ordered them from Van Engelan's two years ago and have been trying to find the name...I am thinking now they are the LA Hybrid "Freya" they were very early and were gorgeous for a month just cut the spent flower stalks off this week.

Here they are when they just got started blooming.
    {{gwi:686827}}

{{gwi:686824}}

Here is a link that might be useful: LA Hybrid Freya

Sponsored