Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nicotania sylvestris 'Only the Lonely' NOT!

Posted by roper2008 7a-8 (lroper99@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 8:48

I was a bit disappointed when my nicotania bloomed a couple days ago.
Seed was from one of the swaps I participated in.
I was envisioning long fragrant white
flowers. Couldn't wait, as I have been wanting to grow
this for a couple years and never got around to it. Oh
well, there's always next year.
I believe this is Nicotania Tabacum, the smoking type.
Though I'm not a smoker, I might have to make me a
cigar.

Excuse the mess, my deck is being torn down.

photo IMG_0043_zps5ef7b304.jpg

photo IMG_0044_zps47441504.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nicotania sylvestris 'Only the Lonely' NOT!

Oh what a bummer ! No fragrance at all? I have purchased packs two years in a row of the fragrant kind and never got around to starting it. Now that we have a home I will be for sure trying ! I believe I got one from Renee's seeds.

o

Bummer is right, I finally got around to planting some Nicotania sylvestris seed this spring, my seed was old but I did get 7 to germinate. I'm down to 1 and 1/2 plants. I forgot to cover them up one night, the snail and slugs had a good feed :(. I had these in the garden about 10 years back, they came back from the roots for several years, delicious fragrance. My half a plant looks like it might survive, oh well 2 plants are better than nothing :).
Annette

o

I'll check out Renee's seeds for next year. I'll have to buy commercial seed to be sure I'm growing the right plant.

Annette, at least with two plants you should get lots of seed
for next year. I've read that the plants get pretty big.

o

Keep in mind that open-pollinated selections don't always breed true to the parent. there may have been wild plants, or other varieties that contributed to the seeds.

o

Keep in mind that open-pollinated selections don't always breed true to the parent. there may have been wild plants, or other varieties that contributed to the seeds.

o

I think its gorgeous... But I know what you mean... Ive had the wrong color too, before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here