Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: HELP! Need suggestions for what to do with this corner!

Posted by hyperchickmom 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 9:09

What to do with this corner? Not liking the suggestion our landscaper designer made. Suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Re: HELP! Need suggestions for what to do with this corner!

Here is what they proposed to do with this space. NOT liking it as I do not think two Miss Kim Lilacs are better than the spirea thats already there. So I think I want to leave that, but I do need something against brick and a focal point for the corner. Should we add trellis under a/c? We have two on opposite side of steps.

o
RE: Re: HELP! Need suggestions for what to do with this corner!

Have to agree that the look isn't pleasing in the above design suggestion. Sorry to be blunt but it's boring and does little to catch the eye. Depending on the sun exposure, Euphorbia polychroma would provide contrast to the spirea and is zero maintenance. Stokesia would also serve a similar function and demands as little attention as the Euphorbia--absolutely none. For more zero-care color contrast, Heuchera/coral bells 'Palace Purple' comes to mind. Throw in a shorter ornamental grass--Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' comes to mind--and you'd solve the entire problem corner.

I don't think a trellis under the A/C unit would do anything other than detract from the plants if you select the right combination of different colors & textures.

o

You need a tall conical or pillar shaped evergreen plant/s in the background and then put some colourful plants in the foreground. The green background will make the other plants pop out. That's the focal point that's lacking. Then put in your birdbath in the middle so it's visible. Once done, you can add little low growing flowerly creepers like a campanula or the sorts.

That's a sunny spot and I'm guessing a really hot spot. So choose a plant that can take the heat.

o

You can't go wrong with a weeping tree

o

A narrow magnolia, with vinca, ivy or hosta underneath? Chaenomeles?

o
RE: HELP! Need suggestions for what to do with this corner!

So here is what we did. We moved the one spire and planted another one to right of birdbath. Moved the butterfly bush to corner and added some lavender. Thanks for all the suggestions!

o

i would love to see miscanthus morning light grass at the corner, kinda victorian cottage-y...

o

Wow ! That was a fun thread !!!

o

Love the finished product over the "planted" landscape that was first given to you.

o

Lovely. It feels a lot more balanced. If I may add one more suggestion. Add a euonymous (dark evergreen) plant to train as a vine and to cover up the brick. I just think that by adding something dark green will make your arrangement pop up more. Plus it would mirror(but not quite mirror) the vine that is climbing up on the other side of your steps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here