Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Heat Zones, or, Why Can't I Grow PNW Plants in the same Zone?

Nell Jean
14 years ago

Bluesunflower asked about the effects of sun on her roses and other plants. Here's the best explanation I can find.

Explanation of AHS Plant Heat Zone Map

The Heat Zone Map

Kathy and others in Texas, Annette and Libby in the Pacific Northwest and I are all in zone 8, which means our minimum winter temperatures are similar. Zones only address winter's cold.

As shown by the heat zone map, in summer, the Texans and I experience from 120 to 150 days of temps higher than 86 degrees. Oklahoma, Arkansas and the northern parts of the southeastern states like MS, AL and GA expect 90 to 120 days. Temps above 86 degrees average hardly a week in BC, and then they're not the searing 103 that we're expecting here today.

Another example of known heat effects is the recommendations of the American Rose Society. There are roses that are specifically recommended for the hot and humid south, for good reason. Some that thrive in very cold climates just curl up and die here.

Some plants simply cannot take our humidity. Others just appreciate the least bit of afternoon shade.

This explains why poppies bloom here in April and daffodils start in February, instead of everything blooming at once like in regular states. EOL (end of lecture)

Nell

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I beg a thousand pardons from Bluesunflower, who lives in the PNW where it's cool and was not asking about sun effects. When I was typing, I was thinking about that lovely water feature and wondering why sun was a problem there.

It's OakleyOK who asked for this information. Sometimes I worry about me.

Nell

• little_dani
    14 years ago

It's o.k., Nell. I usually worry about me too. It doesn't help that DH has started telling me that I am 'not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes'. Grrrrr.

I still can't get over the fact that zone 8 goes way north in the PNW! I would just be thinking that it is cold, cold there, nothing like the truth!

Janie

• natal
    14 years ago

Nell, we can grow poppies down here? Which ones?

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annual poppies: Corn poppies, Breadseed poppies and California poppies, Natal. You might know corn poppies as Shirley poppies, and Breadseed poppies as Opium poppies.

California poppies are perennials, and can be cut back in late May to bloom another year. I pull mine up and leave any stray little plants that haven't bloomed. I still sprinkle seeds of all poppies in November for a new start.

Oh, almost forgot about Iceland poppies. They can be grown as winter annuals the way we use snaps and violas. They're kind of a sometimes thing for me, but I keep trying. They make a good substitute for tulips, if you can coax them into March and April bloom.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Nell's Poppy Tales

• natal
    14 years ago

Well what do you know! Thanks for the link to your blog too! Now to figure out where to try 'em.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Natal, If you have a place where you usually grow zinnias, marigolds or periwinkles, you can pull the poppies and plant your summer annuals behind them.

Nell

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

Nell ROFLOL! I read your post and I thought I was the one loosing it. I couldn't remember asking the question and thought "hoo boy it's starting." Glad to hear it was you instead. LOL

I did actually appreciate the info. These zone things can get fairly confusing especially when everyone is not using the same thing. Western Gardening has me in a 4, USDA has me in a 7. To complicate things further there are all these micro climates here. I suppose you all have them too? It's a wonder anyone knows what to plant at all.

• natal
    14 years ago

Nell, ok great! I have a patch of Zahara and Profusion zinnias outside my kitchen window. That might be the perfect place to try poppies. Thanks!

Sponsored