Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Transplanting Bee Balm

Posted by organicshadegardener 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 9:43

I just planted some bee balm that came from my local nursery. The plants are mature, about 18" hight. One of the plants is fine. Looks very happy. The other, looks a little wilted and the heads of the flowers are droopy. One of the stalks is upright and the rest are droopy.

Water is not an issue, it has been raining here yesterday and I watered them thouroughly after planting. It is not hot either.

How can one plant be doing fine and the other isn't?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Transplanting Bee Balm

Just keep them moist like you have been. Even if you have only one survive next year you'll have a whole bunch.

o

You might also deadhead the droopy one to conserve a little energy. I think they're pretty tough, though....it should be OK.

o

I agree with the last post that you might cut back the droopy one. Actually, Id cut it back to the third set of leaves up from the ground, (leave 3 sets. :) I regularly sheer mine back like this toward the middle of the summer, or when ever it starts to look ratty and leggy. This plant also actually likes some sun, if you have it.The ones I have in dappled, or mixed do best, but it is a little invasive, so befor long you will have plenty to expiriment with. Its a fun plant, Im sure it will do fine. By the way if you want to corral it, or slow it down a bit, you can sink the pot in the ground. This wont stop it, but it willkeep it more subdued

o

Could it be that the droopy one didn't get throughly wet clear through the root ball? Besides deadheading as mentioned above be sure it's really, really soaked. If you think it might help - pull it back up, slice into the middle of the roots and soak in a pail of water for an hour or two then replant.

If you're having some hot weather be sure to cover the soil area with mulch, newspaper, anything. And you may wish to rig up some sort of temporary canopy to lightly shade the entire plant for 2-4 days. You could use newspaper or an old shirt on a tomato cage, held with clothes pins.

GH-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here