Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faltered_gw

Cottage Garden Fall Seed Swap

faltered
17 years ago

I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but I thought I'd start a thread so we can discuss it and begin to make plans.

Last fall (for those of you that weren't here), we had our first ever cottage garden seed swap. Here is a link to one of the main threads from then, with instructions:

Fall 2005 Cottage Garden Seed Swap

I was hoping you all would like to do it again. I enjoyed hosting and seeing all the wonderful seeds everyone sent in. I'd love to host again this year if you guys and gals would like to hold the swap again.

So... what do you say?!?

I thought we'd better start the discussions now so that people in all the different zones can save seeds whenever the time is best.

Tracy

Comments (100)

• nberg7
    17 years ago

Thanks you guys! I've bookmarked that site. I cannot WAIT to share my Hollyhock seeds with y'all. I started with those pale yellow doubles and now I have some peachy colored doubles in bloom too.
    -Nan

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

count me in also

• momto6
    17 years ago

I hope ya'll will forgive my questions, but I'd like to participate, but do not have any "unusual" seed, and most of mine seem pretty mundane. I mean I like them, but not sure ya'll would....I hope that made sense

Are there any flowers that are TOO common? That maybe wouldn't make good trade flowers?

Marigolds? Snapdragons? Columbine?

Thanks
    Mil

• pat_tea
    17 years ago

I want to play this time. I have a lot to learn but I need something to keep thinking future instead of what I'm leaving behind when the house sells.

• putzer
    17 years ago

I love this idea! I have been participating in the Seed Swapping forum, but was not aware of the swap in this forum and would love to join!

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

You guys are the best! Thank you for letting me participate by sponsoring my post fees! :-) Actually, I saved last year's envelope and checked to see how much the actual postage was and it only has one stamp of 37 and another of 83 cents, so it's not too much and you won't need to invest a lot. :-) I'm looking forward to this seed swap again, I hope to have more seeds to trade than the previous year. My Judas tree is loaded with seed pods this year, as opposed to last, so Edna you'll be welcome to try triplets again!

Eduarda

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

HEY! Wait for me! I want to try this tooooooo!

Patti

• dem_pa
    17 years ago

Please add me to the list.

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago

Send the marigold seeds, Momto6, I love 'em! I think most of us have "common" seeds, but we don't all have the same ones. Can anyone ever have too much columbine?

kent

• momto6
    17 years ago

thanks Kent,

I have some others I will send as well. Just didn't want to send any that were considered "wrong". If there could be such a thing in a cottage garden!! =0) And no, I love columbine, I don't think anyone can ever have too much. =0)

Mil
    momto6

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

I would LOVE to play, but I am worried I won't have enough seed packets to send in. I'll do the best I can! Tracy, let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

threeorangeboys: Don't worry about having "enough." You can send in as many or as few packets as you'd like to. There will be plenty to go around, I promise!

Tracy

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Please don't worry about sending in common seeds.

Part of the reason I enjoy the swap is the idea of being able to share seeds among friends. I think its a lot of fun to track where the seeds come from, and how well they do.

For instance, I have some pink petunias growing from seed that came from Alaska, some Joe Pye Weed from Portugal, some Nigella from Georgia, some cosmos from NY, Sweet Peas from California. Everyone is precious to me.

I like the idea of growing seeds from flowers that you have tended and cared for in your garden. :-) It's a link between us all.

Marilyn

• organicshadegardener
    17 years ago

Count me in!

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

I've already started saving seeds from the spring blooms that have died back. I have sweet peas seeds galore and boy they were so fragrant this year.

Those of you who drool over Annie's Annuals...I have lots of seeds from her German Catchfy "Blue Pearl"

More to come from summer perennials. I'll have Echinacea "White Swan", she's a stunner!

I have lots of seeds from Rudbeckia "Gloriosa Daisy". Mine performed from fall and still going strong. Brilliant colors, stop passers in their tracks.

For those who like unusual succulents I have Bryophyllum Delagoense "Mother of Millions" also known as "Resurrection Plant". Easiest plant in the world to grow.

Edna :-)

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

I am finally getting a chance to commit. Sign me up. I would love to trade for some cottage garden seeds:) I save all my seeds each year and it is so fun to have a variety to plant each year.

Stacie

• puppy3
    17 years ago

I've been lurking for yrs now and I think I'm ready to swap seeds;) my cottage garden is full of seeds. I'll even put in extra postage! Laurie

• reign
    17 years ago

sign me up too :)

• donnal_al
    17 years ago

I too am a long time lurker who would love to participate in the seed swap.

Donna

• albertar
    17 years ago

me too, I want to play too, LOL
    Seriously, yes I would like to join in this fall swap.
    Alberta

• windswept_farm
    17 years ago

Oh....count me in! I've never done it and have no idea what to do but I'm excited nonetheless!

Michelle

• minnesotawatchermom
    17 years ago

Please count me in too! I'm also new at this, but will do my best! Bonnie

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I am new here, but I would love to participate in this swap, if that would be o.k. I have a real problem with saving seeds, as I save everyone that I find. LOL, I cannot bear to throw them away, so I am always looking for someone who wants seeds.

They are soon to be like giving away excess squash from the garden. You have eaten all you want, given the neighbors and all your friends all they want, and now you are resorting to putting them on people's doorsteps in the dark of night. LOL

Janie

• happyintexas
    17 years ago

I want to play, too. Extra postage is not a problem here, either.

I'll start saving seeds and read the old thread on how the swap is supposed to work.

Thanks for organizing this!!!!!

Happy

• stormys_mom
    17 years ago

Ok count me in also. I am a newbie so will need to read the old thread as well. Sounds like fun.

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

Me too please!

• foxglovema
    17 years ago

Please count me in as well. I will send extra postage too!
    foxglovema
    (aka Deb)

• tindee
    17 years ago

Count me in also!!

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Count me in, too!

Not to be toooo picky or anything, but if people could also state if the plant self sows to the point of invasiveness, I would appreciate it. Probably others would, too. Or self sows, but the seedlings are easy to pull. Something to that effect.

Thanks for the early reminder!
    Lime

• fluffygrue
    17 years ago

I'd love to take part, though I'm in the UK.. Will there be complications getting my seeds into/out of the US?

Ta,
    Melanie

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Melaine: You shouldn't have a problem. Joy (Hawthorn Cottage) is in the UK and she participated last year without any troubles.

Lime: We usually request that people write as much information on the seed packet as possible: common and latin name, zone hardiness, sun & water requirements, etc.

Tracy

• maozamom NE Ohio
    17 years ago

I want to join in the fun.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    17 years ago

Please count me in for trading seeds. Super idea.

• anicee
    17 years ago

I wish to participate. This is quite exciting actually,

Anicee

• katrinascottage
    17 years ago

Ah! This must be the seed swap I was told about a couple of weeks ago! Yea! I'd like to do this, too! Thanks for organizing it-- what a great idea!

Katrina

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

I'm in! I have not been as regular on this forum as I have been in the past and am so glad to see so many new friends!
    Theresa

• irene_dsc
    17 years ago

I'm also pretty new to this forum, but I'd love to try and participate! I'll be moving sometime end of summer / early fall, so hopefully the seeds won't get lost in the move! But, I have blue flax / linum perenne and coreopsis (not sure the variety) that are easy to grow from seed, so I should be able to get lots of those. (I'd been planning to collect some coreopsis seeds to bring with me, but after 7 years of blue flax, I'm ready for a change, lol.)

Irene

• shannydayle
    17 years ago

i would love to swap too! this is going to be fun.

• garasaki
    17 years ago

Count me in too please. I already have some Osteospermum and Coreopsis seeds.

• sunset_in
    17 years ago

I want to join in, too.

Karen

• gaitedhorse
    17 years ago

I'd love to swap too! I started a cottage garden last year on what used to be my front lawn. If I can manage to save some seeds, I'd love to do this. This will defintely get me motivated to learn how to save seeds. Tracy, if you are in Hamburg, NY and you need help with the swap, I'll volunteer to help you if you like, I live in East Aurora.

• karri_sue
    17 years ago

I am new also and I would love to join in!
    Karen

• ghoghunter
    17 years ago

I'd like to join in too! Count me in. This will be so fun. I will start saving seeds.
    Joann AKA ghog!

• fluffygrue
    17 years ago

Okay, in that case I'd love to join in. :)

Melanie

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

Please also count me in. Have been collecting seeds all week. This swap sounds fun! ~Heather

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Tracy,
    Wow, what a response you've gotten! I'm interested in getting in on this too. Are you going to want help? If you decide you want it, I can always come over and be your helper : )
    Remy

• carol5
    17 years ago

Please count me in. Recieving my seeds was the high point of winter. What fun!

• faltered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, what a response! So glad that so many of you will be joining us, and so many new people, too!

It'll be tons of fun, guaranteed. If I need help, I'll let you know Remy and Gaitedhorse. Thank you for the kind offer.

I'll post instructions and deadline info as the date draws nearer. Look for a post in early September!

Tracy

• regina_ga
    17 years ago

I would love to join in also.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Just had to be 100 on the post...never seen one go so high.

Tracy, can you keep up with all of us? Some are regulars and some passers-by. Let me know if you need help, I'd be more than happy to assist :-)

Edna

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals