Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many of you grow old-fashioned roses?

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 10:25

I know a lot of us on the forum grow roses, but I was wondering how many grow old-fashioned roses? I planted several this year, hoping they'll do better with our harsh winters and short, hot summers. What roses do you grow? What are your favorites? Do you want to include a picture of a favorite rose? Do you have any favorite companion plants that you grow with your roses?

Thanks for responding. Not sure what would do well in our area, I ordered a few of several different types of roses (they were my birthday and Christmas presents this year. LOL) I have a few damasks, gallicas, ramblers, portlands, one alba, a couple of bourbons by the house, some rugosas, a few hybrid musks and a couple of polyanthas. Roughly half are once blooming and half are repeat bloomers. I'm really looking forward to them getting bigger and enjoying all the beautiful flowers...and the fragrance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many of you grow old-fashioned roses?

I have a couple. I have no idea what their names are. The red is my favorite. This big pink one, I was just talkign about yanking, because I didnt remember ever seeing it bloom.

close-up

The color on this one is more accurately a pale pink

This shows the more truer color

Tammy

o
RE: How many of you grow old-fashioned roses?

Tammy, that is an old Damask rose I believe. I have this too, and we always called it "The Outhouse Rose" because it grew near our outhouse at home in town. I brought some with me when I moved to my own home in the country. I love it, smells just like rose talc powder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here