in a dress.

Blueangel

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Interesting, Blueangel.

I am wondering if the painting may be one by W. Collins, R.A. 1788-1847, who painted sentimental rural landscapes featuring animals and children.

One of his paintings is "Selling the Pet Lamb" which is what caused me to wonder if it was the same artist?

"And Poverty, with iron heart, has entered
    The peasant widow's cottage-- her bright group
    Of sunny-hearted children may not starve--
    And yet, to buy them nurture, she must sell
    Their petty playfellow, the home-reared lambkin,
    That they have loved to feed, and fed to love."
    -- not sure of the origin of the poem.
    Nell

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Or, it could be a little girl wearing a duster cap and black high-top shoes and/or black stockings, as I believe was customary in that era.

• blueangel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good point I first thought it was a girl
    but the face looks more animal like.
    It dose have the style of W. Collins.

thank you both
    Blueangel

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I must vote for a little girl in the painting. I believe I can see that she has on a pink dress with a white apron over it. I can see her legs and feet hanging down in front of her mother's apron. I can see where her bonnet might look like a lamb's head, but if so...that lamb is wearing a dress. :)

• angelcub
    15 years ago

I think it looks like a little girl, too. Maybe we should ask GW who painted it. I suspect it is not copyrighted so it may be quite old. If so, the painter was probably depicting a common lifestyle "scene" of the day, which probably didn't include dressing up a lamb. But it would be fun to know for certain. So who's going to ask? : )

Diana

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

I have always assumed it was a Helen Allingham, although I haven't found that exact picture. But then I only did a 2 minute Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helen Allingham

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

flora uk...I think you've hit the nail on the head. A number of paintings in the galleries are so similar. Good job!

• angelcub
    15 years ago

flora_uk, brilliant find! Go to the head of the class. : ) That was pure joy browsing through the galleries. I would love to have any number of those paintings.
    This one is similar except it's looking from a different direction. See the chickens on the roof? So charming. : )

Diana

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!