Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Q. for mary_lu - your brick garden paths

njmomma
13 years ago

I love your garden paths (and garden). We would like to do brick paths like yours. You have inspired us! Can you tell me if your bricks are just in sand or if concrete was added as well?

I'm assuming they were professionally installed, but we're doing ours ourselves (lord help us).

Any other info. would be helpful.

Thanks,

Natanya

Comments (6)

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

Natanya, we installed the paths ourselves. Our garden is completely a DIY project. We used a base called gravel screenings. It is the fines that are screened out of gravel. It packs down harder than sand. We did not want to use concrete as our bricks are old bricks (100+ yr old) and not meant for use on the ground. Some do deteriorate and if they get too bad we replace them as needed. (Have actually only replaced a few over 8 years, as I like the old look) If you have a local sand and gravel place, that would be the place to call.

If you haven't checked out my web site yet, you might want to look there. On the "2002 The Beginning" page I show several pictures of the paths being laid down. I have linked to it below.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden web page

• njmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link and for the info. Where did you get your bricks from? There is a huge amount (950) for sale near me but they aren't worn looking like yours. They are clay though and 60 years old, but very straight edges. We like how yours look better. We're thinking of just collecting used chimney bricks since they are free and may have the look we're seeking. Did you buy yours?
    thanks again,
    Natanya

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

You have access to free bricks? Dang! Grab them.
    Renee

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Mary lu,Your gardens are absolutely lovely.I sent you an email abot a plant.TFS
    Kathi

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

Well...actually 950 is NOT a huge amount. Really can't say for sure how many we used, but if I remember correctly we originally bought several pallets, then went back numerous times for 300 at a time.... I'd say we have close to 1500+ brick in our gardens. But we did also edge the beds around the house also.(see below) We purchased the brick locally from a building that was torn down. It is a fairly soft brick.

If you go back and look at the beginning, you will see that the brick did not look as aged as it does now, but yes they are not all whole, some have nicks and chips, etc. Over time they have aged more, especially as we have winter here. Therefore freeze/thraw cycles. Also moss has grown on them in the shaded areas. DH has talked about "cleaning" up the brick, replacing some and putting in new screenings between, But...I said no, that I liked the way it looked now, old. :-)

Good luck on your search for brick! Please ask if you have any other questions.

kathi, I will check my email.

These are old pictures, mostly from 2004, but you can see how we edged around the entire house.(its all flower beds too)I have more recent photos, but the plants have grown a great deal since then and the brick are not as noticeable.
    {{gwi:688996}}
    {{gwi:688997}}
    {{gwi:688999}}

• merindah
    13 years ago

Love your gardens and the bricks. How'd you get them to stand on their ends for the edging? Just dig them down into the ground? They look great.

I, too, am inspired by your gardens. :)

Sponsored