Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adventures in container gardening

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 11:03

Giving it another go. Geraniums seem to work best so I stuck with those again this year. Also some "Million Bells" petunias.
I wish I had a better pic of the white Martha Washington geranium, I'll try again later.

photo 100_4722.jpg

photo 100_4720.jpg

photo 100_4718.jpg

photo 100_4717.jpg

photo 100_4716.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adventures in container gardening

Red "Million Bells" with a vinca vine in each.

photo June202013.jpg

photo 100_4723-1.jpg

o

I love Million Bells. those are nice.
kay

o

The MB have never grown so nicely for me before. Now if I can just not let them dry out or over water them.

I don't know why I removed the pic, but here it is. The same urns, only different angle.

o

I also love million bells,and I love your stepping stones.What is that in the 3rd picture behind your plant that has the reddish/orangy leaves??
Like those urns as well.I got 2 smaller urns last week up the street at their yard sale,along with a nice big octagon shaped planter.I have to put holes in the urns,they are plastic,but don't really look like it.I just use my wood burner to do the holes.It's seen more pots than it has wood!! LOL
Kathi

o

Kathi, do you mean the upright shrub in the 3rd.pic? If so that is an Irish Juniper. Or do you mean the one up front to the left of the pot with the magenta geranium? That is a wild geranium going into it's Fall coloring already(!). Leaves turn yellow and then reddish.

I would grab any urns I found at a garage sale, esp. concrete or terracotta. They are so expensive now days. But I've seen some plastic ones that are done really well too. They sure would be easier to move about and put into storage.

o

Very handsome urns filled with flowers.
They seem to all being doing very well.
My mother has ALWAYS been good at growing Geraniums. Not me.
So I asked her what the secret is and she said to let them dry out completely and then water .
Mine are doing much better now.

I like your combinations in the pots and urns. Lovely.

~Annie

o

The geranium is the one I was speaking of.Thanks for letting me know.
Kathi

o

Annie, your Mother is right. Now if only I could keep my mitts off the watering can until the soil is dry but I get anxious and drown them.

Ok Kathi. I really like the wild geranium even tho it (and does at my house) become a nuisance. Just have to keep pulling the seedlings where you don't want them. Plus they grow so rapidly, bloom beautifully, but then get a little ragged.

Awaiting thunderstorms here tonight. Seemed to have gone around us all afternoon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here