Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental grass to go with Russian Sage

Posted by sybilla 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 11:08

I've gotten great info on russian sage here and hope to be one of the lucky ones, and I've also seen recommendations on grasses for different conditions. But I'd love to hear if anyone has specific suggestions for a sturdy, attractive grass to pair with my russian sage for a steep, sunny embankment. Coastal zone 6 - windy - but reasonably good soil. Am planning to also fill with groundcover (arctostaphylos if I can get it)... I'm thinking Panicum virgatum but there are so many! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental grass to go with Russian Sage

Why choose only 1! It really depends on how they are positioned, how steep the slope is and how big the area is. Generally, a lot of Panicums are sorta greyish...but so are Russian Sage...if you get some, perhaps 'Shenandoah' which has purplish-red tinged leaves for the latter part of the growing season. I'd put them behind the sage for verticality and height. Some Miscanthus flanking them for their different shape...maybe 'November Sunset'. In front, I'd likely use Pennisetum, maybe 'Karley Rose' our 'Moudry'. You get a lot of different shapes and forms, foliage color and bloom shapes. Maybe also some Echinacea...I've always had a fondness for grasses, russian sage and echinaceas together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here